Professional Web Applications Themes

Toast, Jam, and editing a song - Mac Applications & Software

I've got a CD of spoken-word stuff that includes some introductory music. I'd like to use just the music on a mix CD, but it's part of a 20-minute track -- one minute of music followed by 20 minutes of talking. People have said that Jam will let me edit music, but the manual says everyting it does is "non-destructive." Does that mean I'll end up with a 200MB AIFF for my one minute of music, since I can silence but not destroy the rest? Is there any way to insert a track break into this piece, make it two ...

  1. #1

    Default Toast, Jam, and editing a song

    I've got a CD of spoken-word stuff that includes some introductory
    music. I'd like to use just the music on a mix CD, but it's part of a
    20-minute track -- one minute of music followed by 20 minutes of
    talking. People have said that Jam will let me edit music, but the
    manual says everyting it does is "non-destructive." Does that mean
    I'll end up with a 200MB AIFF for my one minute of music, since I can
    silence but not destroy the rest? Is there any way to insert a track
    break into this piece, make it two tracks, and discard the one that
    contains all the talking? Spin Doctor mentions putting in track
    breaks, but it's in the context of digitizing LPs and such, not
    editing already-existing digital files. I have Toast Titanium 5, Jam,
    and all the attendant utilities (Spin Doctor, Peak LE, etc). Surely
    I've got something that will do what I want? I'm new to all of this
    and I was reading the manuals all night but I still don't quite know
    what to do. Thanks for any help.
    Judy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Toast, Jam, and editing a song

    "Judy" read this in the National Enquirer :

    You need to open it up in Peak, and either highlight the part you want and
    make a new doc from selection, or highlight the part you want gone, and
    erase it. Probably better off making two new docs from the different parts
    and saving the two as well as the original. Then they will be 3 aiff files.
    Just drag those files to Toast in the Finder and burn away as AUDIO.
    Jam isn't needed for this. If you wanted to simply use the whole 20 minute
    shebang and put markers in with Peak, and save that as a Jam file. Thatıs
    the only way I know of making a single long file into several ones while not
    actually separating it into many smaller files. The Peak/Jam method is best
    for dropping indexes into a long continuous material like a piece of music,
    live show with segueing songs, etc. Otherwise, taking a single file and
    cutting out sections and saving as new files works fine if the timing can be
    broken up without harming the program (cutting an LP into the constituent
    songs from a single 45 minute capture).
    --

    TAPKAE
    Last edited by Ramesh; September 27th at 11:15 AM.