Professional Web Applications Themes

Toast vs. Symbolic Links - Mac Applications & Software

I'm trying to burn a CD on Mac OS X using Toast Titanium (5.2.1). The problem: The data in question has symbolic links in it, and Toast renders these as plain files on the CD, leaving me with a coaster. So: 1. Is there some way to get Toast 5.2.1 to handle this correctly? 2. If not, would Toast 6 deal with it correctly? I don't mind upgrading if that's what it would take, but I don't want to spend the money if I can avoid it. Roxio's web site just gives me shiny happy marketing info, and doesn't seem ...

  1. #1

    Default Toast vs. Symbolic Links

    I'm trying to burn a CD on Mac OS X using Toast Titanium (5.2.1). The
    problem: The data in question has symbolic links in it, and Toast
    renders these as plain files on the CD, leaving me with a coaster. So:

    1. Is there some way to get Toast 5.2.1 to handle this correctly?

    2. If not, would Toast 6 deal with it correctly? I don't mind upgrading
    if that's what it would take, but I don't want to spend the money if I
    can avoid it. Roxio's web site just gives me shiny happy marketing
    info, and doesn't seem to address this.

    [In case anyone's wondering, I'm not using Mac OS X's built-in CD
    burning simply because it doesn't recognize my CD-RW drive...]

    Thanks,

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  2. #2

    Default Re: Toast vs. Symbolic Links

    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> writes:

    As far as I know, none of the Toast-supported file formats (ISO-9660,
    HFS, HFS+ or Joliet) support symbolic links. So the corruption you
    describe may be inevitable.

    I'm pretty sure the Rock Ridge extensions to ISO-9660 support
    symbolic links. Some of my RedHat Linux CDs have symbolic links on
    them (more specifically, I found two links on the doentation CD
    for RedHat 9, and a lot of links on the boot CD for RH 5.2.) As far
    as I know, these CDs use both Joliet and Rock Ridge extensions.

    Unfortunately, Toast will not generate Rock Rdige extensions. Which
    means you have to be a bit sneakier. According to the Toast manual,
    you can run "mkisofs" (which Apple does not provide) to create a
    CD-ROM image file that has Rock Ridge extensions. You can then use
    Toast to burn that image.

    (If you go this route, be sure to tell mkisofs to use Joliet
    extensions as well as Rock Ridge, otherwise Windows boxes won't see
    long filenames. Fortunately, this is easy. Just use both the "-R"
    and "-J" options when running mkisofs.)

    Fortunately, this is a cheap test to perform. You can generate the
    image file and mount it without actually burning a CD. If the image
    file has a ".iso" extension, a simple double-click from the Finder
    will mount it.

    Can't help here. I don't know if Toast 6 supports Rock Ridge (I
    haven't bothered learning much about 6, since my copy of 5.2 works
    well enough for my purposes). If it doesn't, then I don't think it
    will help with your problem.

    -- David
    David Guest

  3. #3

    In article <tph-8DD9C6.15531224092003localhost>,
    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    Make an image,
    assuming the links work within the mounted image,
    then ask Toast to burn the image as a disk.
    Peter Guest

  4. #4

    Peter KERR wrote:

    > Make an image,
    > assuming the links work within the mounted image,
    > then ask Toast to burn the image as a disk.[/ref]

    I've done this myself, when Toast 5 informed me (when I asked it to
    check) that there were unresolved symbolic links, that the links were to
    files that were NOT in the image. This was a worthwhile check, because
    the resulting CD would have been seriously flawed if I hadn't then
    corrected most of them. If you are copying folders with aliases, for
    example, moving the folder to the mounted image will NOT change the
    aliases to their originals within the image.

    This may not be your problem, of course. I left some unresolved links in
    my image, that weren't worth the effort to fix, and the CD came out just
    fine (though with a few links to nowhere).

    Susan K
    --
    Dr. Susan Kayser SDSS at FermiLab

    Susan Guest

  5. #5

    In article <invalid>,
    techienospam.comnospam.invalid (David C.) wrote:

    > As far as I know, none of the Toast-supported file formats (ISO-9660,
    > HFS, HFS+ or Joliet) support symbolic links. So the corruption you
    > describe may be inevitable.[/ref]

    I'm not an expert at file systems. However given that Mac OS X supports
    the use of symbolic links, and given that it normally uses HFS+, it
    would seem that HFS+ must at least support something that acts just like
    a symbolic link. And in fact the data I'm trying to burn is on an HFS+
    formatted ".dmg" disk image. The problem that I encounter is that
    something like this in the source:

    lrwxrwxr-t 1 root admin 11 Sep 24 11:57 foo -> bar/foo

    ....ends up looking like this on the CD:

    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root admin 11 Sep 24 11:57 foo

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  6. #6

    In article <auckland.ac.nz>,
    Peter KERR <domain> wrote:

    > Make an image,
    > assuming the links work within the mounted image,
    > then ask Toast to burn the image as a disk.[/ref]

    Hmm.. perhaps my copy of Toast is corrupted or something. I had tried
    this approach, but was unable to mount the image (I forget what the
    error was right now).

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  7. #7

    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> writes:

    An alias (created with the Finder) acts like a symlink, but only for
    apps that open files using the Mac-specific API calls. If you use
    UNIX APIs (and I think ANSI-C APIs), then the alias opens like a file
    instead of like a link.

    But an HFS+ CD should have no problem preserving aliases.

    Right. Because a symlink is not an alias, even though they look the
    same in the Finder.

    -- David
    David Guest

  8. #8

    In article <invalid>,
    techienospam.comnospam.invalid (David C.) wrote:

    > An alias (created with the Finder) acts like a symlink, but only for
    > apps that open files using the Mac-specific API calls. If you use
    > UNIX APIs (and I think ANSI-C APIs), then the alias opens like a file
    > instead of like a link.
    >
    > But an HFS+ CD should have no problem preserving aliases.[/ref]

    Thanks for responding, but if I was talking about aliases, I would have
    said aliases.

    > Right. Because a symlink is not an alias, even though they look the
    > same in the Finder.[/ref]

    This I know. These are symbolic links, created at the command line
    using "ln -s", on an HFS+ disk. It doesn't matter how it looks in the
    Finder, I just want it to get onto the CD the same way as it is on the
    hard drive.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/