Professional Web Applications Themes

Tool to compress a bunch of install files on Linux - Linux / Unix Administration

Hi all, I have the following requirement: provide an Windows installer to a company, where the administrator should be able to change a file in the package, let's say readme.txt, having just a Linux machine. So I was thinking to the following steps: 1) - I can create an uncompressed package (so it will contain the msi, setup.exe and all additional files but they are all uncompressed into a directory) 2) - provide this directory to the administrator 3) - the admin can replace whatever files he wants 4) - in order to distribute it to the Windows users, he ...

  1. #1

    Default Tool to compress a bunch of install files on Linux

    Hi all,

    I have the following requirement: provide an Windows installer to a
    company, where the administrator should be able to change a file in the
    package, let's say readme.txt, having just a Linux machine.

    So I was thinking to the following steps:
    1) - I can create an uncompressed package (so it will contain the msi,
    setup.exe and all additional files but they are all uncompressed into a
    directory)
    2) - provide this directory to the administrator
    3) - the admin can replace whatever files he wants
    4) - in order to distribute it to the Windows users, he will compress
    them into a package, using his Linux machine

    So, my problem is the step 4). Is there on Linux a tool that could do
    what the previously "InstallShield package for the Web" was doing?
    Meaning to pack together a bunch of files into a finalSetup.exe and set
    to run one of the files from the package (for instance the .msi or the
    setup.exe) if the finalSetup.exe is run? (So the package is for Windows,
    just the compressing everything together should be done on Linux). Is
    there such a tool on Linux?

    Thanks in advance,
    Viv
    Viviana Guest

  2. #2

    Viviana Vc wrote:

    How about plain old zip?

    There are tools for Linux to create and open zip packages
    and it's nearly ubiquitous in the Windows world.

    What may create a problem is the difference in line endings
    in Linux ('\n') and Windows ('\r' '\n').

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  3. #3

    Well, I would preffer the output of the compressing to be an .exe which
    can be just double-clicked by the windows users. Zip or self-extracted
    zip would need some temporar directory where to unpack, and Windows
    users won't be happy with this.

    Thx,
    Viv

    On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:20:30 GMT, Tauno Voipio
    <fi> wrote :

    >How about plain old zip?
    >
    >There are tools for Linux to create and open zip packages
    >and it's nearly ubiquitous in the Windows world.
    >
    >What may create a problem is the difference in line endings
    >in Linux ('\n') and Windows ('\r' '\n').[/ref]

    Viviana Guest

  4. #4

    I actually tried by packing those files using WinZip Self-Extractor 2.2
    downloaded from http://www.winzip.com/downse.htm and it's doing exactly
    what I need (no temp dir prompt). Is there an equivalent tool for Linux?
    (a Zip Self-Extractor I could use to pack all togheter on linux and when
    double-clicked on Windows to run a file from the package).

    Thx,
    Viv

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:37:56 +0100, Viviana Vc <com>
    wrote :

    >>How about plain old zip?
    >>
    >>There are tools for Linux to create and open zip packages
    >>and it's nearly ubiquitous in the Windows world.
    >>
    >>What may create a problem is the difference in line endings
    >>in Linux ('\n') and Windows ('\r' '\n').[/ref][/ref]

    Viviana Guest

  5. #5

    Hi,

    Doesn't installshield cover Linux these days. I seem to remember that
    vxWorks for Linux came that way. If so, can't you just use the Linux
    version of installshield (assuming the app runs under Linux) to generate a
    new installer?

    I think it's all Java based now.

    Cheers,
    --
    John McCallum
    Artesyn CP, Edinburgh

    For email, leave the web and we're not so small.
    John Guest

  6. #6

    Viviana Vc wrote:

    Have you looked at InstallAnywhere which was from ZeroG which was
    bought last year by MacroVision who are the InstallSheild folks? I
    believe you'll find that you can get an InstallAnywhere "IDE" that can
    build installers for Winders.

    http://www.macrovision.com/products/flexnet_installshield/installanywhere/index.shtml

    -- ced

    --
    Chuck Dillon
    Senior Software Engineer

  7. #7

    You can use an SFX file. I just tested it in Linux
    and it worked fine. Using PowerArchiver 6 (the
    last free version) on Suse10, under Wine .9.5,
    I put a Windows EXE into a new zip file. Then go
    to the menu, Actions -> Create EXE file. You get
    an option to create an SFX from the zip (a self
    executing zip file). An SFX is the zip with an EXE
    front end pasted onto it. The extension is EXE.
    When the file is run you have an option to choose
    where the zip unpacks to and you can choose a
    file to run after unpacking. I ran a test by putting a
    small exe into the zip, creating the SFX, assigning
    the small exe as the file to run after unpacking,
    then running the SFX. On both Windows and Linux
    the result was successful - the contained EXE ran
    and it's window opened.

    You don't have to use PowerArchiver, but you
    can, and the free v. 6 is still available online. But
    most zip programs can make SFX files.
    (One note: PA on Linux defaulted to creating a
    TAR file. A TAR cannot be used for an SFX. You
    have to make sure it saves as ZIP.)

    --
    com
    (Remove Xs for return email.)
    Viviana Vc <com> wrote in message

    mayayana Guest

  8. #8

    Thx, I'll give it a try.

    Viv

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:33:50 -0600, Chuck Dillon <com>
    wrote :

    >Have you looked at InstallAnywhere which was from ZeroG which was
    >bought last year by MacroVision who are the InstallSheild folks? I
    >believe you'll find that you can get an InstallAnywhere "IDE" that can
    >build installers for Winders.
    >
    >http://www.macrovision.com/products/flexnet_installshield/installanywhere/index.shtml
    >
    >-- ced[/ref]

    Viviana Guest

  9. #9

    Thx, I'll give it a try.

    Viv

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:34:28 GMT, "mayayana"
    <com> wrote :

    Viviana Guest