Professional Web Applications Themes

Tools not available - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I am using Illustrator CS on a PC under Windows XP. Previously, all tools in the Tool window were available by clicking the arrow in the bottom right corner of each tool. This expanded the tool menu ie. the Rectangle tool expands to show the Circle, Star, Rounded Rectangle, etc. Now when I click, nothing happens. I was thinking this might be a memory problem, but now I don't know. Any ideas?...

  1. #1

    Default Tools not available

    Eileen_Schroder@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Tools not available

    Eileen, this is an AIPrefs problem; follow the instructions in FAQ #2, remember closing Illy first.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Eileen:

    Just in case- I think the arrow just indicates that there are more tools available, you have to click and hold on the top tool to expand the menu. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks you! I removed the preferences file and everything is back to normal. Why/how does this happen?
    Eileen_Schroder@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Eileen, you are welcome.

    Why/how does this happen?

    No one really knows. It happens often on some PCs, rarely or never on others. I have never experienced it myself. It is much more rare on Macs.

    With the danger of Teri and Harron having me sent off to a funny farm, I believe each application has an error tolerance threshold which may be overstepped because of increasing complexity, made worse by hasty (I may as well say buggy before Harron does) codework, of operation system and applications. So, the fewer and better applications in your PC, the better.

    If you encounter AIPrefs sorruption often, you may save a backup of it or make it Read-Only when you have a viable version.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I may as well say buggy before Harron does...

    I would never say such a thing.

    So, the fewer and better applications in your PC, the better.

    The only thing with that, Jacob, is that I am one of those people to whom the corrupt prefs problem has never happened... and you should see the number of apps on my AI machine -- not just graphics and desktop publishing programs, but many communications, multimedia, and office applications, as well. I do things most tech support people frown upon, like keep multiple versions of a program installed on the machine. My Windows registry is the size of a Buick.

    Oh... and I took the upgrade route all the way from Win9x to the current XP SP2 (rather than going for the clean OS installs), precisely because I didn't want to reinstall all those apps and reconfigure everything every time. I know that is considered a major no-no, and I was fully prepared to wipe everything clean if necessary, but, knock on wood, everything is running just fine -- fast and reliable.

    Yes, I am a little nutty about maintaining my PCs (Win and Mac), but I am not prepared to say that's the reason I don't get aiprefs corruption. The truth is nobody seems to know why this happens. I suspect the moment AI engineers have a clue, they'll issue a fix.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I figure it's just Illustrator having a bad-hair day and/or an attitude problem. It could have something to do with a change in barometric pressure and the position of the stars and/or Sun spots. It also could be aliens. Which is why I keep my aluminum foil hat on when I'm using Illustrator.

    I make offerings of incense and chocolate every morning when I launch Illustrator. That seems to help a lot. Haven't had a prefs issue for ever so long.

    ;-) T
    Toni Guest

  8. #8

    Eileen,
     [/ref]

    Closing down windows without first closing Illustrator is a fairly
    certain way of causing it...
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Len,

    Closing down windows without first closing Illustrator is a fairly certain
    way of causing it...

    Not here, I do that regularly; and the day before yesterday a guest poured water into a plug so the whole house went dark (I was out, but I had made the crucial save in Illy). Still no AIPrefs corruption.

    Harron,

    I, like Teri, have a lean and clean machine (sorry); but all PCs are complex, and I suppose everyone experiences strange general things, such as Windows suddenly closing an application. I remember from another thread (here or in the GL forum) that Windows is known to create errors when saving and may hit the Preference file. After all, the complexity of a PC is comparable to that of an organism, with inevitable errors, maybe sometimes multiplied by faulty soft/hardware and unfortunate spread of files (I am so far from filling my hard disks that I cannot even remember what you call it when you unite your files).

    With all that, I believe the error tolerance threshold of the applications should be heightened. Otherwise you may just be lucky, or not.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    You lost me somewhere between organism and spreading and uniting files, Jacob, but I think I agree with you... I think.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Harron,

    ...spreading and uniting files...

    Now I remember the word that comes in between: Defragmentation.

    If you are in doubt about inevitable errors, just think of the OS name.

    If Adobe wished to steal in on our work here, they would make a corruption check on the AIPrefs (only about 2500 lines of wellknown code), the result deciding whether the old AIPrefs should be replaced. But are we really prepared to wave goodbye to the Faqir?

    And maybe they could even run a check on code validity of doents at save (this will take longer): all the questions we get here about illegal operands are surely not caused by users being able to enter errors into the code.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    You'd make Mother Faqir very upset...
    Bert Guest