Professional Web Applications Themes

Top-posting - PERL Beginners

Lotus Notes adds a header to the top of the note which I *can* cut and paste to the bottom. It does not do the indentation with '>' characters that seems to be preferred. Thanks, Scott Scott E. Robinson SWAT Team UTC Onsite User Support RR-690 -- 281-654-5169 EMB-2813N -- 713-656-3629 merlynstonehenge. com (Randal L. To: [email]beginnersperl.org[/email] Schwartz) cc: Subject: Re: Training in the Middle and Far East 11/04/03 08:35 PM >>>>> "Scott" == Scott E Robinson <scott.e.robinsonexxonmobil.com> writes: Scott> (And, sorry for the top-posting. I haven't figured out how to fix that!) Uh, press the down arrow about a ...

  1. #1

    Default Top-posting

    Subject: Re: Training in the Middle and Far East

    11/04/03 08:35 PM

    Scott> (And, sorry for the top-posting. I haven't figured out how to fix
    that!)

    Uh, press the down arrow about a dozen times. How *hard* is that?

    <merlynstonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
    See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl
    training!

    For additional commands, e-mail: [email]beginners-helpperl.org[/email]

    Scott E Robinson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Top-posting

    Scott E Robinson wrote:

    > Randal wrote:
    > >
    > > Scott E Robinson wrote:
    > >
    > > > (And, sorry for the top-posting. I haven't figured out how to fix that!)
    > >
    > > Uh, press the down arrow about a dozen times. How *hard* is that?
    >
    > Lotus Notes adds a header to the top of the note which I *can* cut and
    > paste to the bottom. It does not do the indentation with '>' characters
    > that seems to be preferred.
    Yep. Microsoft email clients are similarly distinctive! It doesn't help
    that Unix pundits claim the email ground as their own, but I tend to
    agree with their conclusion: that bottom-posting is best but with ad-hoc
    formatting.

    I have taken to copying messages into my text editor as there is no email
    client that I know that can do what I want. Until I write it, that is :)

    Rob

    Rob Dixon Guest

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Paul Kraus Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    Rob Dixon wrote:
    > Scott E Robinson wrote:
    >>
    >> Randal wrote:

    >>> Uh, press the down arrow about a dozen times. How *hard* is that?
    >>
    >> Lotus Notes adds a header to the top of the note which I *can* cut
    >> and paste to the bottom. It does not do the indentation with '>'
    >> characters that seems to be preferred.
    >
    > Yep. Microsoft email clients are similarly distinctive! It doesn't
    > help that Unix pundits claim the email ground as their own, but I
    > tend to agree with their conclusion: that bottom-posting is best but
    > with ad-hoc formatting.
    >
    > I have taken to copying messages into my text editor as there is no
    > email client that I know that can do what I want. Until I write it,
    > that is :)
    Someone has saved you the trouble... There is a program called Quotefix
    that will clean up your stuff and do the "bottom posting" as so many seem to
    prefer here. Seems to work very well for 99% of the messages it encounters.

    Outlook version
    [url]http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/html-data/software/outlook-quotefix/[/url]

    Outlook Express version
    [url]http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/html-data/software/oe-quotefix/[/url]
    Alan Perry Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Rob Dixon Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    Alan Perry wrote:

    > Rob Dixon wrote:
    > >
    > > I have taken to copying messages into my text editor as there is no
    > > email client that I know that can do what I want. Until I write it,
    > > that is :)
    >
    > Someone has saved you the trouble... There is a program called Quotefix
    > that will clean up your stuff and do the "bottom posting" as so many seem to
    > prefer here. Seems to work very well for 99% of the messages it encounters.
    Thanks Alan. That sort of thing would be my goal, except that 'Quotefix'
    has a memory leak problem and crashes even Windows XP after a few days'
    run. In W9x/ME it's fatal after only a few hours because of the limited
    virtual address space.

    Rob

    Rob Dixon Guest

  7. #7

    --On Wednesday, November 5, 2003 8:00 PM +0000 Rob Dixon
    <robdixon.port995.com> wrote:
    > Alan Perry wrote:
    >>
    >> Rob Dixon wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have taken to copying messages into my text editor as there is
    >>> no email client that I know that can do what I want. Until I
    >>> write it, that is :)
    >>
    >> Someone has saved you the trouble... There is a program called
    >> Quotefix that will clean up your stuff and do the "bottom posting"
    >> as so many seem to prefer here. Seems to work very well for 99%
    >> of the messages it encounters.
    >
    > Thanks Alan. That sort of thing would be my goal, except that
    > 'Quotefix' has a memory leak problem and crashes even Windows XP
    > after a few days' run. In W9x/ME it's fatal after only a few hours
    > because of the limited virtual address space.
    Well, if that is what you are looking for, I would suggest you take a
    look at Mulberry. It can shift, unquote, requote and rewrap lines
    for you. (As well as my favorite 'paste quoted'.) Just look under
    the 'Draft' menu. Avalible for Mac, Unix(Linux and Solaris) and
    Windows.

    Daniel T. Staal

    This email copyright the author. Unless otherwise noted, you
    the contents for non-commercial purposes. This copyright will
    local copyright law.
    Daniel Staal Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Tore Aursand Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    Rob Dixon wrote:
    > Scott E Robinson wrote:
    > >
    > > Randal wrote:

    > > > Uh, press the down arrow about a dozen times. How *hard* is that?
    > >
    > > Lotus Notes adds a header to the top of the note which I *can* cut and
    > > paste to the bottom. It does not do the indentation with '>' characters
    > > that seems to be preferred.
    >
    > Yep. Microsoft email clients are similarly distinctive! It doesn't help
    > that Unix pundits claim the email ground as their own, but I tend to
    > agree with their conclusion: that bottom-posting is best but with ad-hoc
    > formatting.
    >
    > I have taken to copying messages into my text editor as there is no email
    > client that I know that can do what I want. Until I write it, that is :)
    >
    > Rob
    Have you tried Netscape 4.x? I've been using it for five years now, got my first
    legitimately free browser the day they announced free distribution. I use NS 7.x
    for browsing, but I wouldn't touch it for mail, given the IM virus that come
    inextricably with these versions of the mailer. In all the time I have used it, no
    virus has ever successfully invaded my machine other than through my own imprudent
    action in clicking on executtables of unknown origin. Sometimes newer and more
    feature-rich is anything but better.

    That application, by default, also begins replies placing the cursor above the
    quoted text, but it provides options of posting after and selecting. My current
    option is selecting the entire quoted text. The message window also has a
    srollbar, so moving to any desired spot in the message is also easy.

    Joseph

    R. Joseph Newton Guest

  10. #10

    Paul Kraus wrote:
    > My company uses outlook.
    > Every other public forum I write to is all done like this.
    > Outlook defaults to this.
    ....and Microsoft has all our best interests at heart?
    > You would think that the world was going to end because somebody was
    > upset they didn't get to scroll through 500 posts.
    You are missing the point here.It is your responsibility to reply
    consciously. Leaving entire posts at the bottom of your replies is not
    responsible. Instead, the custom on this list is to leave only the relavant
    portions of the original post in your reply, and to reply inline.

    I agree that the debate can get Lilliputian. In my view, as long as the
    sequencing is consitent, it works pretty well either way. On this list,
    though I have noticed that the top-posters are also the ones who tend to
    consistently break established flow, leaving me as a reader to scroll up and
    down to follow the development of a discussion.

    As for the full text of original or earlier posts--well, anybody who is
    truly engaged in a discussion can hang onto their received messages. Any
    good mailer should allow dragging to specific folders for specific groups or
    topics. A good mailer should also provide a hierarchical thread view, which
    can also make for more cogent tracking of discussions. There is no good
    reason for text not immediately relavant to any post to just ride along.

    Joseph

    R. Joseph Newton Guest