Professional Web Applications Themes

Toshiba Libretto - best distribution - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi all First off, I'm a Linux newbie, so please forgive my question. I want to install a Linux distribution onto my Toshiba Libretto 100CT with 64Mb RAM and a 6Gb HDD. The purpose for the installation is purely as a network sniffer with tools like Ethereal and tcpdump (although if you know better ones I'm all ears). My network card is a Xircom RealPort CardBus Ethernet 10/100 (RBE-100) and I have the PCMCIA floppy drive that came with the Libretto and a Sony Vaio PCGA-CD51 PCMCIA CD-ROM that works fine under Windows 2000. As you've probably gathered by now, ...

  1. #1

    Default Toshiba Libretto - best distribution

    Hi all

    First off, I'm a Linux newbie, so please forgive my question. I want to
    install a Linux distribution onto my Toshiba Libretto 100CT with 64Mb RAM
    and a 6Gb HDD.

    The purpose for the installation is purely as a network sniffer with tools
    like Ethereal and tcpdump (although if you know better ones I'm all ears).

    My network card is a Xircom RealPort CardBus Ethernet 10/100 (RBE-100) and I
    have the PCMCIA floppy drive that came with the Libretto and a Sony Vaio
    PCGA-CD51 PCMCIA CD-ROM that works fine under Windows 2000.

    As you've probably gathered by now, getting Linux onto this chappy is
    proving to be a challenge. From what I gather, the distributions that use
    two floppies to boot run into difficulties when the second disk needs to be
    read, since there are no PCMCIA drivers loaded at that point and that's the
    only floppy drive available.

    The CD-ROM is not bootable. For a while, it looked like SBOOTMGR from my
    Slackware 9 CD would do that trick, but of course it can't see the PCMCIA
    CD-ROM.

    I have the option of removing the HDD from the laptop and plugging it into a
    desktop machine (in this case a Dell PowerEdge 600SC that is my testbed
    machine). I tried this earlier with Slackware 9 and when it came to boot
    from the new installation, I was greeted with an "L" on bootup and it hung
    (that was before transplanting the drive back to the Libretto). Since I'd
    previously installed Slackware 9 to the Dell, I know that it works. I think
    I ed up with the disk partitioning or formatting somewhere along the
    line.

    Also, is transplanting an installation from one machine to another OK with
    Linux? If I use the basic kernel, is that OK?

    Finally, what is the best distribution for network sniffing? Being a Linux
    novice, I'd like one that had all the good utilities built in. I can't find
    a distribution that contains Ethereal. I have broadband, so there's no
    problem for me to download whichever distribution would be best.

    Thanks for any and all help.

    Regards

    Oli

    Oli Restorick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Toshiba Libretto - best distribution

    Thanks for your help. I'll give the HDD-transplant method another try. I
    wasn't sure if it would work due to things like the chipset being detected
    when setup was run on the other machine. Perhaps I'm too used to Windows.

    As for the "which distribution for network sniffing" question, I was
    assuming that some distributions contained more tools of that nature than
    others. I didn't manage to find Ethereal on Slackware 9, but I guess I
    should RTFM for that one.

    Thanks again.

    Oli

    "Peter T. Breuer" <ptboboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote in message
    > Oli Restorick <olimvps.org> wrote:
    > > First off, I'm a Linux newbie, so please forgive my question. I want to
    > > install a Linux distribution onto my Toshiba Libretto 100CT with 64Mb
    RAM
    > > and a 6Gb HDD.

    Oli Restorick Guest

  3. #3

    Oli Restorick <olimvps.org> wrote:
    > Thanks for your help. I'll give the HDD-transplant method another try. I
    Check out linux-laptop.net for your machine.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:36:31 +0100, Oli Restorick wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > First off, I'm a Linux newbie, so please forgive my question. I want to
    > install a Linux distribution onto my Toshiba Libretto 100CT with 64Mb RAM
    > and a 6Gb HDD.
    >
    > The purpose for the installation is purely as a network sniffer with tools
    > like Ethereal and tcpdump (although if you know better ones I'm all ears).
    >
    > My network card is a Xircom RealPort CardBus Ethernet 10/100 (RBE-100) and I
    > have the PCMCIA floppy drive that came with the Libretto and a Sony Vaio
    > PCGA-CD51 PCMCIA CD-ROM that works fine under Windows 2000.
    >
    > As you've probably gathered by now, getting Linux onto this chappy is
    > proving to be a challenge. From what I gather, the distributions that use
    > two floppies to boot run into difficulties when the second disk needs to be
    > read, since there are no PCMCIA drivers loaded at that point and that's the
    > only floppy drive available.
    >
    > The CD-ROM is not bootable. For a while, it looked like SBOOTMGR from my
    > Slackware 9 CD would do that trick, but of course it can't see the PCMCIA
    > CD-ROM.
    >
    > I have the option of removing the HDD from the laptop and plugging it into a
    > desktop machine (in this case a Dell PowerEdge 600SC that is my testbed
    > machine). I tried this earlier with Slackware 9 and when it came to boot
    > from the new installation, I was greeted with an "L" on bootup and it hung
    > (that was before transplanting the drive back to the Libretto). Since I'd
    > previously installed Slackware 9 to the Dell, I know that it works. I think
    > I ed up with the disk partitioning or formatting somewhere along the
    > line.
    >
    > Also, is transplanting an installation from one machine to another OK with
    > Linux? If I use the basic kernel, is that OK?
    >
    > Finally, what is the best distribution for network sniffing? Being a Linux
    > novice, I'd like one that had all the good utilities built in. I can't find
    > a distribution that contains Ethereal. I have broadband, so there's no
    > problem for me to download whichever distribution would be best.
    >
    > Thanks for any and all help.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Oli
    You'll find some great information at the link below:

    [url]http://www.silverace.com/libretto/[/url]

    George
    George Czerw Guest