Professional Web Applications Themes

Traditional Collections and Objects or Typed Datasets ? - ASP.NET General

Hi, I've been tasked to come up with a new architecture for a large application at one of my customer's sites. In the past, I have developed multi-tier applications whereby the business objects maintain the database using stored procedures etc and provide the data to the GUI layer via a set of objects and collections. After using the typed datasets with .NET, it appears that you van provide the same functionality as objects and collections with the datasets - for a lot less coding effort. My question is - is the general idea to move away from objects and collections ...

  1. #1

    Default Traditional Collections and Objects or Typed Datasets ?

    Hi,

    I've been tasked to come up with a new architecture for a large
    application at one of my customer's sites.

    In the past, I have developed multi-tier applications whereby the
    business objects maintain the database using stored procedures etc and
    provide the data to the GUI layer via a set of objects and collections.
    After using the typed datasets with .NET, it appears that you van
    provide the same functionality as objects and collections with the
    datasets - for a lot less coding effort.

    My question is - is the general idea to move away from objects and
    collections and into these typed datasets ?

    Thanks,
    Rob

    Rob Guest

  2. #2

    I personally believe that you will never get the long term flexibility
    inherent in creating classes that represent your business problem as opposed
    to limiting yourself to out of the box classes provided by a framework.

    My statement might be a little misleading though. You will always have
    classes that you create; indeed when you add your first web page, you have
    your first class. Additionally, you will always use classes provided by the
    framework to a large extent. For the purpose of your question, my opinion
    is on how to best represent the state of your business data. There is a
    definate speed of development advantage to simply using datasets and
    marshalling data between layers of your application as such. As the
    application grows, I believe you will see an object oriented as well as a
    performance advantage to creating custom classes to represent your data
    specific to your business need. You may still use
    datasets/datareaders/xmldoents to hydrate your custom classes.
    Additionally, as you get more experienced with this approach, the rapid
    development advantage of solely using framework classes to represent your
    data will begin to diminish.

    Datasets were designed to hold in memory data for any type of data. This
    can never be as flexible/robust as a custom class you have built to
    represent an entity or process specific to your business need.

    "Rob Thomas" <com> wrote in message

    PJ Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the advice guys, it's much appreciated.

    Rob Guest

  4. #4

    take a look here as well:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/practices/type/Patterns/enterprise/