Professional Web Applications Themes

transfering frontpage site to DMX - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I want to know if there is a way to transfer my entire site created with Frontpage 2002, to DMX, I've being getting alot of problems with the FP extensions cause the site is getting bigger, & my hosting company sugest DMX. I download the trial version, and have alot to learn, but prefer to work with my actual site and would like to start using it asap. Should I purchase the MX studio version after I lean DMX program instead?. Thanks for your help...

  1. #1

    Default transfering frontpage site to DMX

    kasama webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: transfering frontpage site to DMX

    I'm also a FrontPage refugee, and I highly recommend Dreamweaver over Microshaft. I personally find Dreamweaver significantly harder to learn and use, partly because I'm used to FrontPage. But I think it's also because Dreamweaver has so many more features. It's like the difference between learning to drive a car and fly a plane; I struggle more with Dreamweaver, but I can do far more.

    Dreamweaver can be awfully sensitive, but I won't elaborate on the problems here. Let's just hope your installation goes smoothly.

    Transferring a FrontPage site to Dreamweaver can be problematic. There is a tutorial on migrating from FrontPage, and there's also a command that lets you import a FrontPage site; it might be an extension. However, I've never been able to import a FrontPage site, so I just went into Windows Explorer, copied a FrontPage site and pasted it into my Dreamweaver sites folder. But when I used a Dreamweaver command or extension to clean up the FrontPage site, it inevitably failed.

    My most recent attempt involved an extension that wreaked havoc with Dreamweaver. I finally uninstalled it, and it cleared up most of my problems.

    I would suggest that you track down the Dreamweaver/FrontPage tutorial, commmands, extensions, etc. and give them a try. I can't remember where to find them offhand, but if no one tells you and you can't find them, e-mail me and I'll see if I can find anything in my notes.

    If you're unsuccessful, then e-mail me at [email]GeoBeargeobop.com[/email], and I'll explain the system I'm using to clean up my FrontPage sites. It takes a little more time, but it's still pretty efficient, and it works beautifully.

    Remember to MAKE A COPY of your FrontPage site before you try to clean it up, in case something goes wrong.

    "Should I purchase the MX studio version after I lean DMX program instead?"

    If you're going to download a trial version, I'd just play with it, ask questions and learn the ropes before making a purchase. Studio MX is very expensive, but it's probably worthwhile in the long run. So far, I've only used Dreamweaver, but I'll probably tackle Flash eventually. I don't have an immediate need for Fireworks, since I have Adobe Photoshop, but it sounds like Fireworks is better in some respects.

    A couple other tips:

    1. Check out [url]http://www.projectseven.com[/url] They have some newsgroups that offer lots of advice on Dreamweaver and web design. This site and PVII are currently my primary support groups.

    2. As much as I despise Microshaft, do not throw FrontPage in the garbage. I used it as a crutch until I was able to work in Dreamweaver, and I still use it when I'm having trouble with Dreamweaver. For example, I'm unable to work with XHTML in Dreamweaver, so I just copy a page into PageMaker, tweak it, then copy it back to Dreamweaver. If you're having trouble with ftp, you can publish your site with FrontPage, and I LOVE the ability to work on a site live.

    Importing a Dreamweaver page into FrontPage also lets you override the template commands, which might possibly be of use in certain situations. I've talked to other people who found FrontPage very useful for certain technical tasks that I didn't understand. In summary, when used with Dreamweaver, FrontPage can be a great third wheel - about the only thing Microsoft is good for.

    [url]http://www.geobop.com/[/url], GeoBearATgeobop.com (Replace AT with )
    Interests: Web Design, Linux & Political Reform
    GeoBear Guest