Professional Web Applications Themes

Transferring files from Win98 to OS X? - Mac Networking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, DaveC wrote: > There's a PC in the building on the network that I need to get some files > from. The PC is going to be donated to a charity, and the only value it has > are the doents on the hard drive. > > How can I get files from there to my PowerBook running OS X? Use OS X's windows file sharing and access that from the PC. Alternatively share a folder on the PC(right-click -> properties; sharing tab on recent versions of windows, 98 could be different) and access that ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Transferring files from Win98 to OS X?

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, DaveC wrote:
    > There's a PC in the building on the network that I need to get some files
    > from. The PC is going to be donated to a charity, and the only value it has
    > are the doents on the hard drive.
    >
    > How can I get files from there to my PowerBook running OS X?
    Use OS X's windows file sharing and access that from the PC. Alternatively
    share a folder on the PC(right-click -> properties; sharing tab on recent
    versions of windows, 98 could be different) and access that from your
    Mac.

    Fred

    Frederick Cheung Guest

  2. #2

    In article <0001HW.BB8E24B20000DF3A19063080news.individual.n et>,
    DaveC <dave-usenet3016mailblocks.com> wrote:
    > There's a PC in the building on the network that I need to get some files
    > from. The PC is going to be donated to a charity, and the only value it has
    > are the doents on the hard drive.
    >
    > How can I get files from there to my PowerBook running OS X?
    >
    > I no very little about Windows, but can negotiate my way around, if I can get
    > some instructions. Is there networking capability in W98 that I can take
    > advantage of from OS X?
    >
    > Any help in this direction would be greatly appreciated.
    Ftp will work fine. Win98 is not likely to be running an ftp server,
    but OSX is running one by default, good little Unix that it is. There's
    a very good shareware ftp client for Windows called WS_FTP. Install
    that (if it's not already installed) on the Windows box and connect to
    the IP address of your Mac. I forget if WS_FTP supports drag and drop,
    I think only the paid version does. In any event it's easy to use, you
    just select the Windows files you want to transfer and they'll get sent
    over to the Mac with no problem.

    If these are Word files, you might want to make sure you send them as
    binary rather than ASCII in order to preserve any special formatting,
    but hopefully the latest version of WS_FTP is smart enough to figure
    that out.
    fishfry Guest

  3. #3

    Frederick Cheung <fglc2srcf.DUH.ucam.org> wrote:

    > Use OS X's windows file sharing and access that from the PC.
    I can't get this to work from Win98, just as little as I can access a
    shared folder on a Win2000 or XP box from Win98.

    The connection dialog in Win98 only allows for entering password (not
    username) - Win98 shares each resource with a unique password -
    while you need both to log in to MacOSX/Win2000/WinXP.

    Or does anyone have a workaround ?

    You have to share your folder on the PC and connect from the Mac.
    Just hope that file sharing is *installed* on the PC.
    In Win98 it's not installed by default ...
    Asterix Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:11:44 GMT,
    fishfry (fishfryyour-mailbox.com) wrote:
    > Ftp will work fine. Win98 is not likely to be running an ftp server,
    > but OSX is running one by default, good little Unix that it is.
    Not running by default. Its installed by default, but you have to
    enable it, thank god. A more secure alternative is to use ssh/scp/sftp
    for file transfers -- there are ssh/scp/sftp clients available for
    windows computers.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev A. Kupf Guest

  5. #5

    > > Use OS X's windows file sharing and access that from the PC.
    >
    > I can't get this to work from Win98, just as little as I can access a
    > shared folder on a Win2000 or XP box from Win98.
    On Win2000 and XP, you must enable the Guest account.
    > The connection dialog in Win98 only allows for entering password (not
    > username) - Win98 shares each resource with a unique password -
    > while you need both to log in to MacOSX/Win2000/WinXP.
    Connecting to Win2000/XP:
    * Select the server and connect to it.
    * OSX prompts you for username/password
    * Enter Guest with no password
    * Choose the desired share

    Connecting to Win95/98/Me:
    * Select the server and connect to it.
    * Choose the desired share
    * OSX prompts you for username/password
    * Enter Guest with no password

    Works for me, anyway.
    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards Guest

  6. #6

    On 18 Sep 2003, Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:
    > > > Use OS X's windows file sharing and access that from the PC.
    > >
    > > I can't get this to work from Win98, just as little as I can access a
    > > shared folder on a Win2000 or XP box from Win98.
    >
    > On Win2000 and XP, you must enable the Guest account.
    Your shares must be 8 characters or less in length, with only
    alphanumerical or underscores.

    Fred

    > > The connection dialog in Win98 only allows for entering password (not
    > > username) - Win98 shares each resource with a unique password -
    > > while you need both to log in to MacOSX/Win2000/WinXP.
    >
    > Connecting to Win2000/XP:
    > * Select the server and connect to it.
    > * OSX prompts you for username/password
    > * Enter Guest with no password
    > * Choose the desired share
    >
    > Connecting to Win95/98/Me:
    > * Select the server and connect to it.
    > * Choose the desired share
    > * OSX prompts you for username/password
    > * Enter Guest with no password
    >
    > Works for me, anyway.

    Frederick Cheung Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: Solved!!

    On 9/19/03 4:09 PM, in article
    [email]0001HW.BB90BEA600069CAFF0080600news.individual.ne t[/email], "DaveC"
    <dave-usenet3016mailblocks.com> wrote:
    > Rebooted the Mac. The PC with WS_FTPLE (the free version) was able to connect
    > to the Mac. Once that happened, file transfer was trivial.
    >
    > Thanks to all who pointed the way,
    Even "Enough"?

    George Kerby Guest