Professional Web Applications Themes

Transferring files from Win98 to OS X? - Mac Portable

There's a PC in the building on the network that I need to get some files from. The PC is going to be donated to a charity, and the only value it has are the doents on the hard drive. How can I get files from there to my PowerBook running OS X? I no very little about Windows, but can negotiate my way around, if I can get some instructions. Is there networking capability in W98 that I can take advantage of from OS X? Any help in this direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, -- Dave C com...

  1. #1

    Default Transferring files from Win98 to OS X?

    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Transferring files from Win98 to OS X?

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, DaveC wrote:

    Use OS X's windows file sharing and access that from the PC. Alternatively
    share a folder on the PC(right-click -> properties; sharing tab on recent
    versions of windows, 98 could be different) and access that from your
    Mac.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  3. #3

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    Ftp will work fine. Win98 is not likely to be running an ftp server,
    but OSX is running one by default, good little Unix that it is. There's
    a very good shareware ftp client for Windows called WS_FTP. Install
    that (if it's not already installed) on the Windows box and connect to
    the IP address of your Mac. I forget if WS_FTP supports drag and drop,
    I think only the paid version does. In any event it's easy to use, you
    just select the Windows files you want to transfer and they'll get sent
    over to the Mac with no problem.

    If these are Word files, you might want to make sure you send them as
    binary rather than ASCII in order to preserve any special formatting,
    but hopefully the latest version of WS_FTP is smart enough to figure
    that out.
    fishfry Guest

  4. #4

    Frederick Cheung <DUH.ucam.org> wrote:

    I can't get this to work from Win98, just as little as I can access a
    shared folder on a Win2000 or XP box from Win98.

    The connection dialog in Win98 only allows for entering password (not
    username) - Win98 shares each resource with a unique password -
    while you need both to log in to MacOSX/Win2000/WinXP.

    Or does anyone have a workaround ?

    You have to share your folder on the PC and connect from the Mac.
    Just hope that file sharing is *installed* on the PC.
    In Win98 it's not installed by default ...
    Asterix Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:11:44 GMT,
    fishfry (com) wrote:

    Not running by default. Its installed by default, but you have to
    enable it, thank god. A more secure alternative is to use ssh/scp/sftp
    for file transfers -- there are ssh/scp/sftp clients available for
    windows computers.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  6. #6

    > > Use OS X's windows file sharing and access that from the PC.

    On Win2000 and XP, you must enable the Guest account.

    Connecting to Win2000/XP:
    * Select the server and connect to it.
    * OSX prompts you for username/password
    * Enter Guest with no password
    * Choose the desired share

    Connecting to Win95/98/Me:
    * Select the server and connect to it.
    * Choose the desired share
    * OSX prompts you for username/password
    * Enter Guest with no password

    Works for me, anyway.
    Lewin Guest

  7. #7

    On 18 Sep 2003, Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:

    > > I can't get this to work from Win98, just as little as I can access a
    > > shared folder on a Win2000 or XP box from Win98.[/ref]
    >
    > On Win2000 and XP, you must enable the Guest account.[/ref]
    Your shares must be 8 characters or less in length, with only
    alphanumerical or underscores.

    Fred

    > Connecting to Win2000/XP:
    > * Select the server and connect to it.
    > * OSX prompts you for username/password
    > * Enter Guest with no password
    > * Choose the desired share
    >
    > Connecting to Win95/98/Me:
    > * Select the server and connect to it.
    > * Choose the desired share
    > * OSX prompts you for username/password
    > * Enter Guest with no password
    >
    > Works for me, anyway.
    >[/ref]

    Frederick Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:11:44 -0700, fishfry wrote
    (in message <attbi.com>):

    I turned on FTP Access in System Preferences. The default FTP server name is
    ftp://pc-00102.

    I installed WS_FTPLE that I downloaded from CNet's shareware library onto the
    Windows PC.

    When I try to access pc-00102, WS_FTP says that there is no such machine on
    the network.

    Not being familiar with Windows networking, I went to a Macintosh on the
    network and, using Fetch, tried to access the server on my computer. It can't
    see the server either.

    What am I not doing? I've got two users set up on the OS X host computer, and
    I tried loging in both from the remote client computers. I'm pretty sure that
    user names and passwords aren't the problem; the error is always "Machine not
    found" or "doesn't exist", not "User unknown" or "wrong password".

    All of these machines are connected to the LAN; they can access our DSL
    server and the Internet. They are on the same network segment with no routers
    or other such devices between; only switches and hubs.

    Any ideas why my personal FTP server isn't serving, even locally?

    PowerBook G3/400; OS X 10.2.6

    Thanks,
    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  9. #9

    To be thorough, I tried using both "ftp://pc-00102" and "pc-00102" as host
    names when attempting to connect.
    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  10. #10

    Default Solved!!

    Rebooted the Mac. The PC with WS_FTPLE (the free version) was able to connect
    to the Mac. Once that happened, file transfer was trivial.

    Thanks to all who pointed the way,
    --
    Dave C
    com