Professional Web Applications Themes

transparent shim - Macromedia Fireworks

need to know how to make a transparent shim, are there any tutorials, thank you...

  1. #1

    Default transparent shim

    need to know how to make a transparent shim, are there any tutorials, thank you

    racein Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: transparent shim

    "racein" com wrote:

    Open a new canvas in the size you need your shim to be. Export it as a
    transparent GIF.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  3. #3

    Or make it 1 pixel by 1 pixel and resize on the HTML page as needed.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Linda Rathgeber" <rr.com> wrote in message
    news:bu8p16$sle$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    thank you

    Murray Guest

  5. #5

    Yes - but it seems so ... retro to make it anything other than 1x1, a very
    tidy size.

    By the way, did you enjoy that book you read?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  7. #7

    Which is probably the best option since you keep filesize at a minimum
    and it doesn't matter since it is transparent anyway. :)

    Murray *TMM* wrote:

    --

    Intensily,

    Coen Naninck

    "If you have a passion for what you do in life, life will become your
    passion!"
    _______________________________

    E-mail : Can be found at: http://members.home.nl/ccnk/mail
    ================================

    Enhance Fireworks with these Productivity Resources:

    *** FREESTYLERMX ***

    http://freestylermx.net

    *** FIREWORKS DEVELOPER CENTER ***

    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/fireworks

    Coen Guest

  8. #8

    Coen Naninck wrote:

    Either one will be rounded off to 1k. :-) If I'm only going to use one
    shim, I'd rather make it the size I need rather than resize a 1 pixel
    one. The difference in file size is negligible, and the browser doesn't
    need to render it first at 1 pixel, then again to change it to the size
    you specified.

  9. #9

    What do you mean render it first and then again? It just renders it
    right? Besides, imaginable - the time it would take the browser to do
    this is negligible too, not?

  10. #10

    In article <net>, Coen Naninck <net>
    wrote:

    No, at least some browsers render first at the image's native size, then
    according to the HTML if different. I can see this working in Mozilla,
    in part because my computer is not fast. You won't see it in IE because
    IE doesn't display anything until the whole page is rendered in final
    form. That might also explain why IE doesn't display progressive JPEGs
    progressively. The delay still exists, though.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  11. #11

    It's a moot point as long as you specify height and width attributes of the
    image tag, right?

    I've never seen a browser "override" my height and width settings while the
    image is still loading.

    M!ke

    "Lanny Chambers" <net> wrote in message

    > No, at least some browsers render first at the image's native size, then
    > according to the HTML if different. I can see this working in Mozilla,
    > in part because my computer is not fast. You won't see it in IE because
    > IE doesn't display anything until the whole page is rendered in final
    > form. That might also explain why IE doesn't display progressive JPEGs
    > progressively. The delay still exists, though.
    >
    > --
    > Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    > http://www.hummingbirds.net/[/ref]

    Michael Guest

  12. #12

    So, is it then still advisable to include image dimensions in the html?

  13. #13

    In article <net>, Coen Naninck <net>
    wrote:

    Yes. However, regarding the original issue: it's hard to predict whether
    purpose-sized shims will download in less time--even over a broadband
    connection--than it takes the browser to fetch a 1x1 shim from the cache
    and resize it in HTML. I doubt the difference is large enough to be
    worth testing. I use 1x1 GIFs and resize them, which is almost certainly
    faster for modem users with modern computers.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/