Professional Web Applications Themes

Trapped in OS 9.2 and no way back to OS X 10.26 - Mac Applications & Software

My 933 MHz G4 came loaded with OS 9.2 and OS X. OS X was upgraded to 10.26 Jaguar. I needed to boot up in OS 9 so I set startup in system preferences to OS 9. Keep in mind that both systems are on the same partition as is usual in a Mac of this vintage. The problem occured when I crashed in OS 9.2. Upon reboot, the G4 tried to find system OS 9.2 and couldn't giving me the folder with the question mark which stayed there forever. Then I started up with the OS 9 install disk ...

  1. #1

    Default Trapped in OS 9.2 and no way back to OS X 10.26

    My 933 MHz G4 came loaded with OS 9.2 and OS X. OS X was upgraded to
    10.26 Jaguar. I needed to boot up in OS 9 so I set startup in system
    preferences to OS 9. Keep in mind that both systems are on the same
    partition as is usual in a Mac of this vintage.

    The problem occured when I crashed in OS 9.2. Upon reboot, the G4
    tried to find system OS 9.2 and couldn't giving me the folder with the
    question mark which stayed there forever. Then I started up with the
    OS 9 install disk CD. Unfortunately the icon of the G4 drive was not
    on the desktop. The dreaded dialog box came up asking me if I want to
    format the disk as it is unreadable.
    I then used Disk First Aid on the OS 9 install disk to repair the
    disk. It reported major problems with the disk and attempted to repair
    everything only to fail repeatedly after 3 attempts. The disk would
    not mount. I could not use the set startup on the control panel to
    re-select the OS X folder because that folder resided on the disk
    which the OS 9 cannot mount.

    I restarted with the Jaguar install disk. Worked fine. I used the
    First Aid app on that disk and it said "This disk appears to be OK".
    Unfortunately as you know the Jaguar boot disk does not allow access
    to the System Preferences panel that sets startup.

    So I have the bizarre situation of a corrupt disk as seen by OS 9 and
    a perfect disk as seen by Jaguar and a computer that can't be told to
    start up in OS X. A month ago the same thing happened in another boot
    to OS 9 but I was able to get the disk to mount by holding the
    option/command keys down to conduct a desktop rebuild. Then I switched
    to Jaguar startup and all was well in OS X.

    Is there ANY WAY to set startup other than through control panels on
    OS 9? Now it won't let me rebuild the desktop so I've got no readable
    disk in OS 9 and a perfectly readable disk in OS X which I cannot tell
    the computer to use on the next reboot.
    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trapped in OS 9.2 and no way back to OS X 10.26

    Have you tried holding down the "X" key after you turn it on.
    That's the default key to hold for booting into OS X. (similar to hold
    "C" to boot from CD)

    Scott Guest

  3. #3

    >I then used Disk First Aid on the OS 9 install disk to repair the

    The disk most certainly is not OK.

    You need to use a commercial disk-repair program such as DiskWarrior. to repair
    the disk. It might be possible to reboot into OS X by turning on the computer
    and holding down the X key, but rest assured the disk is not OK. I would not
    trust that disk until I ran a commercial disk repair program.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>,
    net (David Bleser) wrote:

    Try holding down the option key while starting up. You should be able
    to choose the OS X startup volume there, if you have OS X and OS 9 on
    separate partitions.

    If that doesn't work, use the OS X CD to install a clean copy of OS X on
    the disk.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>,
    net (David Bleser) wrote:

    On the Mac OS X installation CD, there is a Utilities Folder with a
    special version of the "Startup Disk" Control Panel. This Control Panel
    knows how to set the startup disk _AND_ Operating System to either Mac
    OS 9 or Mac OS X.

    Just copy this Control Panel to your Mac OS 9 Control Panels folder and
    use it to change your boot disk and operating system to Mac OS X
    Bob Guest

  6. #6

    George Williams wrote:

    >>The disk most certainly is not OK.
    >>
    >>You need to use a commercial disk-repair program such as DiskWarrior. to repair
    >>the disk.[/ref]
    >

    > Although Diskwarrior for OS 9 never failed me,
    > I keep seeing reports that Diskwarrior X is not 100% reliable.
    > Is there a better alternative?[/ref]

    Diskwarrior 2.1 for OS 9 will repair a disk with both 9 and X installed.
    One caveat is that the OP seems to say that an OS 9 system cannot see
    the hard drive, which is a pickle. But Diskwarrior is a superior
    product in my experience and perhaps you could just wait a couple
    iterations until the kinks are ironed out.

    cheers.

    wheat Guest