Professional Web Applications Themes

Trashing Prefs for Windows? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I'm having a problem with InDesign crashing every time I try to place an InCopy story. Anyone have any ideas? And where might I trash the prefs for Windows?...

  1. #1

    Default Trashing Prefs for Windows?

    Sandee_Cohen@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trashing Prefs for Windows?

    Hi, Sandee,

    I never had that happen in my InCopy testing, and I have no idea what might be happening. Try the InCopy forum for ideas.

    Hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift when you're launching InDesign CS to delete the prefs (it's Command+Control+Option+Shift on the Mac).
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Sandee,

    The only Adobe program that I can think of that you shouldn't have two
    version of is Acrobat. I believe this holds true for Mac as well

    There's no reason at all that you can't have more than one version of
    other programs. I have two versions of Illustrator, InDesign and
    Photoshop and there are NO PROBLEMS.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    All fixed!!!

    I suddenly noticed that I had a copy of InDesign 2 on the same Windows machine. How I got ID CS to run at all is a miracle as I don't believe it is good to have two versions of the same program on a Windows machine. (One good thing about the Mac.)

    So I just stripped everything off the machine, reinstalled the Creative Suite and Tah-Dah! I'm in business!!!

    Chalk this one up to User Error!
    Sandee_Cohen@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    The only Adobe program that I can think of that you shouldn't have two
    version of is Acrobat. I believe this holds true for Mac as well

    This is interesting information. But there is no problem with two versions of Acrobat on the Mac.

    However, I am glad to read that I can have two versions of programs such as InDesign.

    I really have no idea then what was the problem. But fortunately all it fixed.
    Sandee_Cohen@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Yep, I've got 4, 5 and 6 on my Cube with no apparent problems (not that I use 4 and 5 much any more).

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I don't know what the issue is with Acrobat but I know it's the only
    application that when installing and finding a previous version warns
    that the prior version be uninstalled.

    But again, no other applications by any other vendor with the exception
    of Outlook have this restriction.

  8. #8

    [email]Robert_Levineadobeforums.com[/email] wrote in
    news:52D85027C7695585678C0EDCEAC32FCAin.webx.la2e afNXanI:
    > I don't know what the issue is with Acrobat but I know it's the
    > only application that when installing and finding a previous
    > version warns that the prior version be uninstalled.
    I think it might have something to do with installing more than one
    printer that uses the PDF port. When I first got Acrobat 6, I ignored
    the warning and installed it without uninstalling Acrobat 5. The
    applications both worked fine, but neither the Acrobat 5 Distiller
    Printer nor the Acrobat 6 PDF Printer worked.
    Guy_Smiley@adobeforums.com Guest