Professional Web Applications Themes

Traveling with Powerbook - Mac Networking

In article <3f580bdd$0$39009$45beb828newscene.com>, Someone <someonesomewhere.org> wrote: > I'm returning to Paris this spring and want to take my powerbook with me > on vacation. Last year I was lost without it and it drove me nuts not > being connected. Anyway, I plan on using a security cable but still > wonder how safe am I from loosing it. I'll be staying at a 3 star hotel > > Secondly, what do I need to connect. Can I use the internal modem > with the appropriate adapters and if not any suggestions other than > finding a wi-fi location. Any ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Traveling with Powerbook

    In article <3f580bdd$0$39009$45beb828newscene.com>, Someone
    <someonesomewhere.org> wrote:
    > I'm returning to Paris this spring and want to take my powerbook with me
    > on vacation. Last year I was lost without it and it drove me nuts not
    > being connected. Anyway, I plan on using a security cable but still
    > wonder how safe am I from loosing it. I'll be staying at a 3 star hotel
    >
    > Secondly, what do I need to connect. Can I use the internal modem
    > with the appropriate adapters and if not any suggestions other than
    > finding a wi-fi location. Any other advice in dial-up access. Will
    > probably subscribe to AOL for access.
    Ahh... Suffering for an addiction? May I first suggest that you see a
    psychiatrist? ;)

    But seriously. There's always a risk of theft/loss when you carry your
    laptop around. A 5 star hotel is no guarantee against theft either. A
    colleague lost his laptop and all his and her wife's shopping in a 5
    star hotel, one that Bill Clinton stayed in during his presidency. They
    never was able to find the thief. So do it at your own risk.

    For connection, you'll need hardware adaptors (find them in CompUSA or
    Fry's). Dial-up access can be dodgy in Europe due to differing
    phone/PABX standards. Sometimes it's black magic. You'll have better
    luck in a business hotel than a small hotel which tend not cater for
    modem access. AOL is an economical choice for access and one that I
    personally use.

    There's an excellent web site on this subject [url]http://kropla.com/[/url] by
    Steve Kropla!
    Whytoi Guest

  2. #2

    I've travelled for years in Europe with my Powerbook without incident.
    Here's some things to watch out for.

    Some hotels have digital phone systems. IBM sells a line tester that'll tell
    you instantly you've got one of those connections before it fries your modem.

    France doesn't ping the phone line for billing, so you don't need a line
    filter.

    Time online adds up fast as every phone call is metered. Some things might
    better be done at an Internet café from a cost point of view, i.e. get your
    mail by dialling in, but browse and surf at the café. You'll have to judge
    that when you get there.

    You'll need a French phone adapter and a French power adapter. Mine just fit
    on the RJ-11 phone line cord and the standard North American plug on the
    power cord.

    Hope that helps.

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:09:04 -0700, Someone wrote
    (in message <3f580bdd$0$39009$45beb828newscene.com>):
    > I'm returning to Paris this spring [snip] I'll be staying at a 3 star hotel
    >
    > Secondly, what do I need to connect. Can I use the internal modem
    > with the appropriate adapters and if not any suggestions other than
    > finding a wi-fi location. Any other advice in dial-up access. Will
    > probably subscribe to AOL for access.
    >
    > Thanks

    Bruce Stewart Guest

  3. #3

    Someone <someonesomewhere.org> writes:
    > Secondly, what do I need to connect. Can I use the internal modem
    > with the appropriate adapters and if not any suggestions other than
    > finding a wi-fi location. Any other advice in dial-up access. Will
    > probably subscribe to AOL for access.
    I have some information which may be of help:
    [url]http://www.cieux.com/callingUS.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.cieux.com/fwiConnection.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.cieux.com/beforeYouGo.html[/url]

    Note that these pages are geared for travelers to the French West Indies,
    but most of the links cover anywhere in the world, so check through for
    links to providers of worldwide access and of adapters and such for
    worldwide travelers. Databases of cybercafes are listed, too.

    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    [url]http://www.PhilipStripling.com/[/url] | my domain is read daily.
    Phil Stripling Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 12:20:22 +0100, Whytoi wrote
    (in message <050920032120228336%whytoihotmail.com>):
    > In article <3f580bdd$0$39009$45beb828newscene.com>, Someone
    > <someonesomewhere.org> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm returning to Paris this spring and want to take my powerbook with me
    >> on vacation. Last year I was lost without it and it drove me nuts not
    >> being connected. Anyway, I plan on using a security cable but still
    >> wonder how safe am I from loosing it. I'll be staying at a 3 star hotel
    >>
    >> Secondly, what do I need to connect. Can I use the internal modem
    >> with the appropriate adapters and if not any suggestions other than
    >> finding a wi-fi location. Any other advice in dial-up access. Will
    >> probably subscribe to AOL for access.

    Just don't take your eye off it for one second, whether you're in France (as
    I was when some sod nicked it out of the back of my locked car in the 5th
    arondissement in Paris) or elsewhere. And if you have it covered under your
    house insurance make sure that the so-called 'all electronic goods' coverage
    does actually extend to computers (mine didn't). Look round for a proper
    computer insurer.

    Kind regards,
    Devi

    Devi Jankowicz Guest

  5. #5

    In article
    <0001HW.BB7EAC3E0026FE1DF0101600news.cache.cable. ntlworld.com>, Devi
    Jankowicz <animusntlworld.com> wrote:
    > Just don't take your eye off it for one second, whether you're in France (as
    > I was when some sod nicked it out of the back of my locked car in the 5th
    > arondissement in Paris) or elsewhere. And if you have it covered under your
    > house insurance make sure that the so-called 'all electronic goods' coverage
    > does actually extend to computers (mine didn't). Look round for a proper
    > computer insurer.
    And don't forget to backup and backup on the road! I usually carry a
    mini Firewire drive on the road and store it separately from my
    Powerbook. There are things that's replacable while others aren't.
    Whytoi Guest