Professional Web Applications Themes

trial version start up problem - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I downloaded the 30 day trial version of photshop 7, and a room mate had used my computer without permission, and changed the date for whatever reason, or the clock was reset or something, but now I can't get into photoshop because it says the trial has expired. The last time I used photoshop, which was the same day it got ed up, it said I had 22 days left. I have tried to re download it, but it still gives me the same thing. If I can't redownload it, how can I at least uninstall it, or what programs ...

  1. #1

    Default trial version start up problem

    I downloaded the 30 day trial version of photshop 7, and a room mate had used my computer without permission, and changed the date for whatever reason, or the clock was reset or something, but now I can't get into photoshop because it says the trial has expired. The last time I used photoshop, which was the same day it got ed up, it said I had 22 days left. I have tried to re download it, but it still gives me the same thing. If I can't redownload it, how can I at least uninstall it, or what programs do dll or isu doents use so that the uninstall will go through?
    Amy Lawson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: trial version start up problem

    Amy, i would realy love to give you a 'happy feeling' answer but I can't. I think you'll have much better luck posting your problem on the full photoshop forum. The is for photoshop Elements which is a different Adobe program. very best of Luck
    Jodi Frye Guest

  3. #3

    "Amy Lawson" <alawson422> wrote in message
    > [...] If I can't redownload it, how can I at least uninstall it, or
    > what programs do dll or isu doents use so that the
    > uninstall will go through?
    This is the Photoshop Elements newsgroup. However, the answer to your
    question is pretty straightforward:

    Uninstall should work fine. Sounds like you're using Windows, so just go to
    the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel, find Photoshop, and click the
    "Remove" button.

    However, it will not actually uninstall *everything*. The "wrapper" used to
    enforce the trial limit does not get uninstalled, and removing that is
    non-trivial. It's my main objection to the way these trial versions are
    implemented: for all intents and purposes, you cannot actually completely
    clean your computer of the stuff it installs without reformatting the drive
    and starting over from scratch.

    It is theoretically possible to remove the trial version wrapper, but a) I
    have not yet figured out all of the different pieces that need to be removed
    (so I can't actually provide details regarding that) and b) it would involve
    deleting things from a number of places, including the registry, and hidden
    files from the hard drive.

    You would not be able to reinstall the trial version unless you managed to
    get rid of *everything*, including the trial version wrapper.

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest

  4. #4

    And incidentally, the trial limitations are intentionally implemented to prevent individuals from getting around the trial use period. What good would a limited trial be if all you had to do was uninstall and then re-install the software every 30 days to use it? A lot of people would see that as easier than paying $600 for the program. I guess the big question is which would people prefer: the ability to use the software freely for 30 days or the ability to use the software indefinitely but without the ability to properly save any files worked on?
    E. Segen Guest

  5. #5

    "E. Segen" <memberadobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > And incidentally, the trial limitations are intentionally implemented
    > to prevent individuals from getting around the trial use period.
    You are correct about that. However, an individual who would do that is
    just as likely to pirate the software in the first place. Also, a
    determined enough individual can easily cirvent the trial enforcement
    software anyway. The only thing that's stopped me from removing the trial
    enforcement software is lack of time and motivation (it bugs me, but not
    enough to prompt me to do something about it).

    This is a classic debate in the computer world -- "copy protect or not?" --
    and I'm not suggesting we start it up here. I promise to limit my say on
    the topic to this message. Suffice to say, it is my opinion that copy
    protection of all sorts (including that used for enforcing trial periods)
    does way more harm to legitimate users than it benefits the software
    publisher using it.

    I also prefer "broken" demo versions to time-limited trials. I tried to
    check out Adobe Premiere, using the trial version. However, I found it
    difficult to use the first time I tried it, and then it was a month before I
    had a chance to look at it again. Of course, since the trial had expired, I
    had no way to spend any more time with it to find out if I'd be able to
    learn it, and whether I liked it enough to make it worth paying nearly $1000
    for it.

    There are, of course, pros and cons to both methods, and obviously no major
    software publisher is going to release their software on a "shareware" basis
    (that is, allow users to use a completely unrestricted version on an "honor"
    basis). But whenever someone else does something irreversible to my own
    computer, I am just a little ticked off.

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest

  6. #6

    Your argument is totally understandable and at one time the trial versions of Adobe software were save crippled but it seems that people weren't happy with that as they apparently felt that they were unable to fully explore the larger more complex programs by trying to complete (and not save a project) in only one session.

    In all likelihood, the crippled software was probably easier for Adobe to produce and enforce since as you mentioned, there are still ways around the time limit if a person is determined enough... Just goes to show, you can't please everyone, eh? :)
    E. Segen Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Peter, thank you so much for your insight explanation about 'trial' mechanism. I didn't know there is such a 'wrapper' come with a trial version of software.

    I have the same experience as Amy with Adobe Illustrator 10 Tryout. I needed to change my system date back to Jan, 1999 to run some 'share' software. The 'full' version was just 25US$ and I liked it, so I wanted to buy it. But there was no response from the author. So I was stuck with the 'share' version which can run if the system date is Jan, 1999 (till sometime in Feb, 1999).
    Well that was my story about setting back the system time.

    I have only slooow dial-up internet connection. I spent 15 hours (yes 15!) to get the tryout version because the connection was broken twice after 4 and 5 hours of downloading... Then finally I succeeded for the 3rd time after 6 hours of downloading... to see this "Trial Expired" next day...never to be able to run the trial version for the 2nd time ...

    They could have prepared multiple downloads to complete for less chance to see the line breakdown during the downloads.

    And this behaviour "Trial Expired" before the expiry date, is not acceptable to me; they refused to let me find out about the software before I used it and assessed its suitability to my need. Too bad, Adobe lost a customer.

    Anyway...thanks Peter again. I'm sure all readers of your response to Amy's question thank you.

    My regards...
    Hiroshi Nakata Guest

  8. #8

    Hello i would like to know how to take off the adobe photoshop trial version completely! i need to redownload it in order to complete a project I'm doing so that i can get into college in the fall. Once i get in college i will be able to buy it for the discounted price.I would appreciate any help!

    thanks for you time!
    Unregistered Guest