Professional Web Applications Themes

triangle with rounded corners - how? - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi All Can anyone explain or point me to somewhere that can, how I can draw a triangle with rounded corners? thanks for any help As ever -- keen to learn hotmail.com...

  1. #1

    Default triangle with rounded corners - how?

    --
    keen to learn hotmail.com

    keen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: triangle with rounded corners - how?

    keen to learn wrote:
    || Hi All
    || Can anyone explain or point me to somewhere that can, how I can draw
    || a triangle with rounded corners?

    Keen.

    As always there is more than one way to do this but IMO the very best is to
    use the Fillet Command available atÖ

    http://www.projectfireworks.com/Lab.aspx?show=extension_fw_3_4.html

    It was built for FW 3 and 4, but works fine in MX and MX04

    I continually thank Kleanthis Economou for making all his commands available
    to us, but this one in particular. Itís a gem.

    Peter R.

    Peter Guest

  3. #3

    Peter

    Thanks for that link - wow loads of great commands - but, and im not trying
    to sound dumb - do you use the fillet command to create a triangle with
    rounded corners?

    Thanks again

    as ever

    --
    keen to learn hotmail.com

    "Peter R" <com> wrote in message
    available

    keen Guest

  4. #4

    keen to learn wrote:
    || Peter
    || Thanks for that link - wow loads of great commands - but, and im not
    || trying to sound dumb - do you use the fillet command to create a
    || triangle with rounded corners?

    No. First create your triangle with the polygone tool. Then use the
    subselect tool (little white arrow in the select panel) to select one of the
    three anchor points. Then apply the Fillet command to that. Then move onto
    the next one.

    Yes there are some great commands in there :)

    HTH

    Peter R.

    Peter Guest

  5. #5

    Peter

    Thanks - got it.

    For reference each time I need to run a command (as fireworks puts it) I
    have to navigate to the folder where the script is. Is there an easier way
    of doing it - i.e. place the scripts on the desktop, or create a shortcut to
    them somehow?

    Thanks for the help and have a nice weekend

    As ever

    --
    keen to learn hotmail.com

    "Peter R" <com> wrote in message
    the

    keen Guest

  6. #6

    keen to learn wrote:

    Drag out a star autoshape roughly the height you want your triangle to
    be. If you mouse over the diamond shaped control point at the lower left
    of the star, a tool tip pops up [say that out loud six times] naming the
    number of points the star is made of. If you drag counterclockwise, the
    number of points is reduced to four, and then 3. Choose Modify > Ungroup
    to convert the triangle primitive to a true path.

    To round the corners of the triangle choose Modify > Alter path > Inset
    path. Select Outside for direction and choose the middle of the three
    corner type buttons. Leave the other two settings at their defaults.
    Click OK to accept the changes and close the dialog box.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  7. #7

    keen to learn wrote:
    || Peter
    || Thanks - got it.
    || For reference each time I need to run a command (as fireworks puts
    || it) I have to navigate to the folder where the script is. Is there
    || an easier way of doing it - i.e. place the scripts on the desktop,
    || or create a shortcut to them somehow?

    Yes there is. Where ever you have the command at the moment. Copy it. Ctrl+C
    Then navigate to your programe files > and open your Macromedia folder > and
    then open your Fireworks Folder > Then open the Configuration folder and
    open the Commands folder. You should be able to Paste, CTRL+V your Fillet
    command into that folder.

    Next time you open FWs you should see the Fillet command listed in the
    Commands drop down list.

    Your set up may be slightly different to mine so please check, and make a
    back up of any folders before altering them. Just in case.

    Peter R.

    Peter Guest

  8. #8

    Peter - Linda

    Thanks for the help, im always amazed at the speed and detail in which you
    guys (and girls) go to to help keep us newbies on the straight (should that
    be rounded) and narrow

    as ever

    --
    keen to learn hotmail.com

  9. #9

    keen to learn wrote:
    || Peter - Linda
    || Thanks for the help, im always amazed at the speed and detail in
    || which you guys (and girls) go to to help keep us newbies on the
    || straight (should that be rounded) and narrow

    I still consider my self pretty much a newbie as well especially in the
    company of Linda :)

    I had completely forgotten about the 'alter path' technique. Thanks for the
    reminder Linda.

    Peter R.

    Peter Guest

  10. #10

    "Linda Rathgeber" <rr.com> wrote in message

    > Drag out a star autoshape roughly the height you want your triangle to
    > be. If you mouse over the diamond shaped control point at the lower left
    > of the star, a tool tip pops up [say that out loud six times] naming the
    > number of points the star is made of. If you drag counterclockwise, the
    > number of points is reduced to four, and then 3. Choose Modify > Ungroup
    > to convert the triangle primitive to a true path.
    >
    > To round the corners of the triangle choose Modify > Alter path > Inset
    > path. Select Outside for direction and choose the middle of the three
    > corner type buttons. Leave the other two settings at their defaults.
    > Click OK to accept the changes and close the dialog box.
    >
    > Linda Rathgeber
    > Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    > http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    > Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    > Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    > Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    One very little thing I'd like to mention: sometimes one may consider using
    "Expand Stroke" (right inder the same meny group). It is different from
    "Inset Path" - it creates both "inset" and "outset" outlines at the same
    time, and they have proportional corner radii and stuff.

    Other than that, I can only admit that I personally prefer the technique
    Linda described more than using any Commands. I'm not trying to discourage
    the people who write commands, but such a simple and powerful technique is
    always "here" (that is, I don't have to download anything) and besides, it
    works absolutely the same way in Freehand, so I don't have to change my
    habits if I switch between the apps.

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    http://photoshop.msk.ru/ - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "They told me they fixed it. I trusted them to fix it. It's not
    my fault!" - Lando, Star Wars

    Ilya Guest