Hi everyone.

Instead of reflex posting, I spent 2 days surfing around to see if the
question has been answered, BUT I have to post now cuz it ain't working.

Installed RH 9 (shrike) onto my Dell Inspiron (256 MB, ATI Rage Mobility
128, 32 MB VRAM).

Two issues:

1) X Window can't startx

2) PCMCIA driver not loaded before it tries eth1 (my second NIC -- for NAT).

On X Window issue, it could not dccprobe the settings and won't startx.

The stupid thing is, redhat-config-xfree86 requires X Window to config.
Duh!!!! Since it won't startx, it won't config.

Stuck with editing the XF86Config manually, I did gruesome rebooting
into windoze and back to linux, numerous times, to read the Web and edit
the file.

I am running NTFS on the Win partition so did not /mnt the drive. I am
using floppy to transfer the text files (mtools).

Tried using VIM to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file to redo the sync
rates but no jive.

Below I will post the config file. From what I read, I need to change
the monitor to some default config. The OS tells me it either can't find
any screens, or the one it found is unusable (0 horizontal, 0 vertical).

2) Someone posted that he renamed his symlink from S24pcmcia to
S07pcmcia and I did that but the eth1 NIC still doesn't load.

OK, here is the config file, pls see if you can help me. Thanks!!!
(The OS keeps saying my monitor is a Sharp somethingorother, but I can't
find where that value is to change it. I did a "locate" and have looked
at all the XF86Configs on my system but they all just look like this one
below).

# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection
Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name
of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "dri"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
# Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
# Option "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
# Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
# Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# or:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
#
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
Identifier "DevInputMice"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "CustomConfiguration"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 31.5 - 82.0
VertRefresh 50 - 70
Modeline "1400x1050" 116.22 1400 1416 1704 1816 1050 1050 1060 1097
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "r128"