Professional Web Applications Themes

Trouble connecting - HELP! - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

I use contribute at work all the time, but have never had to install the program or create a connection the first time. I'm attempting to set it up at home for a different not-for-profit website and am having great difficulties establishing a connection. I know my FTP server, username and password ... but when it asks for my website on the FTP and I select public_html it's not working! LOST!! Any help????...

  1. #1

    Default Trouble connecting - HELP!

    I use contribute at work all the time, but have never had to install the
    program or create a connection the first time. I'm attempting to set it up at
    home for a different not-for-profit website and am having great difficulties
    establishing a connection. I know my FTP server, username and password ... but
    when it asks for my website on the FTP and I select public_html it's not
    working! LOST!! Any help????

    Newbie connect! Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trouble connecting - HELP!

    Hi

    When you go through the connection wizard, are you able to select the folder that your website is in, rather than selecting an individual file. Try that.

    Rgds
    lukaro Guest

  3. #3

    :confused; I KNOW where you're coming from....I am in the SAME boat!!! Called
    Adobe yesterday and was put on hold for 15min.hung up and was THEN transferred
    to 4 different places....so MY time was 1.5hrs.spent and NOTHING was resolved!!!

    IF you get anyhelp PLEASE let me know...Thanks

    Bon60

    bon60 Guest

  4. #4

    I've just had a client who was having a heap of problems creating a connection
    to her website (3.11 had stopped working and we had upgraded to CS3) and it has
    turned out to be firewalls. She had three installed for some reason, and
    turning them off wasn't enough. Once we uninstalled them (particularly Spy
    Doctor and Zone Alarm) Contribute was able to establish a connection with no
    problems - and she was marvelling at how much faster her computer was running!
    Also make sure the Windows Firewall is turned off when trying to establish a
    connection.
    Best of luck

    rusky Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Rusky;
    thanks for the "connection" info..I tried all that you emailed me..and it did NOT work..I am getting VERY frustrated

    Bon60:sad;
    bon60 Guest

  6. #6

    I'm having a similar issue. Our web sites are hosted in-house and the decision
    was made NOT to connect to them via LAN but rather via FTP, for tighter
    security. I can FTP to them just fine in Dreamweaver and FireFTP (Firefox
    extension). I can do it from inside the network at the office, and from
    outside the network from home. We only have one static IP address, which is
    assigned to the CiscoPIX firewall. In order to differentiate between each site
    for FTP purposes, each one uses a different port - 8021 through 8026 - and has
    a different private IP address.

    The short version is, I'm unable to assign a port, which appears to be why I
    can't connect to the server and edit through Contribute.

    If I call the ftp server ftp.areamaps.us:8021, I get an IMMEDIATE
    username/password error message. Since I've copy/pasted both from my
    spreadsheet, and since they are working in Dreamweaver and in FireFTP, I can
    rule out a true authentication error.

    So I went into the "Advanced" settings, selected "Use FTP proxy settings when
    connecting." Although we don't actually have a proxy server, I enter the IP
    address of the firewall (or leave it out - same results) and the port (both as
    8021 or 21, same result), then try again.

    This time, when I click "Next," it goes to the testing connection window, I
    can see that it's found the web site because the content in the <title></title>
    tags appears, but after some wheel-spinning, this error message appears -
    "Contribute could not connect because the server is down or not accepting
    connections. Please contact your administrator" (that's me). I'm the only
    person with FTP access to the sites. I do not have any FTP clients
    (Dreamweaver, FireFTP) connected to the site. Immediately after making the
    connection attempt through Contribute, I'm able to FTP into the site from both
    Dreamweaver and FireFTP (not simultaneously).

    I've posted screen shots of the step-by-step process of going through the
    connection wizard, as well as the error messages that appear as a result. I
    hope someone can help. They can be found at
    [url]http://www.amerigocompanies.com/support/Adobe/contribute.html[/url]

    The screen shots are from Macromedia Contribute 3, v 3.11, but I get the
    identical problems & screens using Adobe Contribute CS3. Both computers I'm
    attempting to configure are running Windows XP Pro, SP2. Both computers have
    IE 7.0, and my desktop (with 3.11) is also running Firefox.

    Thanks.

    Lynda

    AmerigoCo Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for the email Lynda..NOTHING works for me..you would think that Adobe
    would TRY to fix this poblem for us????
    I certainly do not have ANY confidence in them.

    If anyone on the Forum know HOW to fix this problem..PLEASE let us know. Thanks

    Bon60

    bon60 Guest

  8. #8

    No it will NOT let me do that either!!

    Bon60:wine;
    bon60 Guest

  9. #9

    What I want to know is, why does Adobe provide this forum, if they aren't also
    going to provide monitors to address the issues raised here? This thread
    started on April 13th. Today is May 2nd, and not one Adobe technician has
    popped in to advise the fix or work-around for this issue.

    Very telling, I'd say. Especially in light of the fact that they provide
    little if any direct technical support to those who have purchased their
    software.

    AmerigoCo Guest

  10. #10

    :confused;:disgust;yep you got it!! WEe have had NO help from Adobe at ALL!!!

    Bon60
    bon60 Guest

  11. #11

    I just sent a hotly-worded email to their customer service section about the
    lack of available support, and the unavailability of Contribute 4 at Adobe.com.
    I thought perhaps the issue might have been fixed in 4 and figured I test out
    the trial version, but there is no information available about it whatsoever at
    Adobe.com. You can't buy it, evaluate it, read about it, discuss it, nothing.

    AmerigoCo Guest

  12. #12

    :disgust;HOPE we get some help!!! I have Contribute 3..and cannot connect NO matter what I try!! PLEASE let me know what happens.

    Bon60
    bon60 Guest

  13. #13

    Have you applied this hotfix that address FTP issues with Cisco Pix firewall
    connections, TechNote [url]http://www.adobe.com/go/fc1a435a[/url]. You will need to
    download the zip file and extract the NetioFTP.dll file into your program
    folder.

    Contribute 4 is still available and supported, the trial software is here -
    [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=contribute&amp;loc=en_us[/url]

    HangD Guest

  14. #14

    Finally, a constructive response! :grin;

    I gave the hotfix a try, but as I suspected it wasn't something that could
    address my situation. I'm downloading Contribute 4 as I type this - hopefully
    that will be the difference.

    I'll let y'all know what transpires!

    Lynda

    AmerigoCo Guest

  15. #15

    :cool;Let me know IF it works Lynda...

    Bon60
    bon60 Guest

  16. #16

    Shoot. Back to square one. As I said, in my case I have a specific port to
    assign for FTP, and there just doesn't seem to be a way to do that. The proxy
    server port setting is for the port the proxy server is accessed through.
    There are no firewall settings in Contribute like there are in Dreamweaver.

    If I set the port in the proxy server settings to 8021, I get an IMMEDIATE
    authentication error. Since I'm authenticating fine through Dreamweaver &
    FireFTP with the same copy/pasted username/password, that's a bogus error.

    If I set the port in the proxy server settings to 21, I get a "server is not
    accepting connections" error. Again, I'm connecting with everything else.

    This is a BUG BUG BUG in Contribute! I can't believe they don't have a
    firewall settings interface! Everyone with half a brain uses a firewall these
    days, and they handle it BEAUTIFULLY in Dreamweaver, so they don't even have to
    re-invent the wheel! Adobe people who are monitoring this thread - GET IN HERE
    AND ADDRESS THIS ISSUE FOR US! There is no way to contact Adobe support on
    this issue during the trial version, and my registered versions aren't showing
    up in support. It's like Adobe doesn't want to be bothered with us.

    AmerigoCo Guest

  17. #17

    Hi Lynda,

    Contribute uses an embedded version of IE so the proxy settings you specify in
    the browser determine Contribute's connection behavior.

    Check the following settings in your web browser::

    1. Verify in IE, under Tools> Internet Options, LAN settings, uncheck
    Automatically detect settings and use automatic configuration script.
    2. Under Proxy Server, check use proxy server, and fill in your address and
    port number you are using.
    3. Click OK, and then hop over to the Advanced tab in IE Options, make sure
    the following are checked: Enable folder view of FTP sites, Enable third party
    browser extensions, Use Passive FTP, and Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections,

    if you are still having problems, ping me via email with your contact info.

    HangD Guest

  18. #18

    Thanks SO much for the input. Unfortunately, this solution didn't work; I've
    sent you my contact info privately.

    Everyone else, I'll keep you posted, although I don't know if what will work
    for me will provide the solution for the other connection issues discussed
    here. Thank goodness we finally have someone from Adobe on our side!

    AmerigoCo Guest

  19. #19

    :brokenheart;Didnt work for me..NEXT???

    my email is; [email]george.bonniesympatico.ca[/email]

    Bon60
    bon60 Guest

  20. #20

    HangD from Adobe is the bomb, my friends. We haven't resolved the issue yet,
    but it seems to be related to IE 7.0. If any of you are using 7.0, that might
    be the issue.

    Because Contribute works through an IE interface, it's the IE settings that
    can cause issue. This is why there aren't many setttings in Contribute itself.
    Right now, I'm getting ready to try to roll back to IE 6 and see if that
    resolves the issue.

    I'll keep you posted.

    AmerigoCo Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast