Professional Web Applications Themes

Trouble connecting to MySQL - Dreamweaver AppDev

Hi, I'm using Mac OX 10.3.9, PHP Version 5.0.4, Apache Server and whatever the latest version of MySQL is. I'm trying to connect to MySQL via the databases panel. I've entered a connection name, have used localhost as the MySQL server and then entered the username and password that I set up for access to a particular database. When I press select I get an error message: "HTTP error Code 404 File not found, here are some possible reasons for the problem" It then lists the reasons. However, I'm wondering if this is happening because I may have incorrect settings ...

  1. #1

    Default Trouble connecting to MySQL

    Hi,

    I'm using Mac OX 10.3.9, PHP Version 5.0.4, Apache Server and whatever the
    latest version of MySQL is. I'm trying to connect to MySQL via the databases
    panel. I've entered a connection name, have used localhost as the MySQL server
    and then entered the username and password that I set up for access to a
    particular database. When I press select I get an error message: "HTTP error
    Code 404 File not found, here are some possible reasons for the problem" It
    then lists the reasons. However, I'm wondering if this is happening because I
    may have incorrect settings in my site definition. At the moment I've just set
    up a sample php site and have gone through the site definition wizard. As I go
    through it says, "where on your computer do you want to store your files" -
    this is where I may be running into problems. For this sample site that I've
    set up just for practice purposes all files will probaby be .php files and
    therefore I assume I will store them in my web servers doent root located at
    [url]http://localhost/~homefoldername/sitenamefolder/[/url] and this is where I browse to
    when it asks where do you want to store your files (except that when I browse
    to that location, dreamweaver displays the path as Macintosh
    HD:users:myusername:Sites:siterootfoldername). So, is this the place I browse
    to on a php site? And what if only a part of my site uses php and mysql and the
    rest of the pages are static - I mean wouldn't that mean that the static pages
    are located in one place and the php pages in the web servers doent root?

    When I click next and it asks "what URL would you use to browse to the root of
    your site" - I assume that this would be the same as the previous screen, i.e.
    [url]http://localhost/~homefoldername/sitenamefolder/[/url] however when I enter this and
    press test I get the error: Dreamweaver cannot use the prefix you entered to
    display live data - please double check your site configuration or click on
    help. So I assume that because I can't get the info in the site definition to
    work then maybe that's why I can't connect to MySQL via the databases panel. I
    also get the same error if I enter something like,
    [url]http://localhost/sitenamefolder/[/url] - although maybe sites should be included in
    the mix, i.e. [url]http://localhost/sites/sitenamefolder/[/url]

    As you can see I'm a bit confused and I'd be really grateful if someone could
    help to clear these issues up for me.

    gwnh Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trouble connecting to MySQL

    gwnh wrote:
    > I'm using Mac OX 10.3.9, PHP Version 5.0.4, Apache Server and whatever the
    > latest version of MySQL is.
    > through it says, "where on your computer do you want to store your files" -
    You store your files in Macintosh HD:Users:username:Sites:sitename

    The URL prefix in Testing Server should be:

    [url]http://localhost/~username/sitename/[/url]

    There *must* be a trailing slash at the end of the URL prefix.

    Browse to your files using the same URL.

    --
    David Powers
    Author, "Foundation PHP 5 for Flash" (friends of ED)

  3. #3

    Thanks for the information. Could I just try and clear up the issues I had re
    static and dynamic sites. I've already nearly completed a static site and I've
    found out that they want me to have an online ordering system, so therefore
    only certain pages in the site will be dynamic and therefore need php and
    mysql. Do I need to move my whole site to the web servers doent root and if
    so will this effect any of my current links or anything?

    gwnh Guest

  4. #4

    gwnh wrote:
    > Do I need to move my whole site to the web servers doent root and if
    > so will this effect any of my current links or anything?
    Yes, you move the whole site. As long as you move the site as a single
    entity, it will have no affect. Say your site is in a folder called
    "mysite", just highlight the folder in Finder, Ctrl-click and select
    Copy mysite. Navigate to your Sites folder, Ctrl-click and select Paste
    item. Everything will be copied intact.

    You then need to change the location of the files in the Dreamweaver
    Site Definition.

  5. #5

    Thanks.
    gwnh Guest

  6. #6

    If your still stuck, take a look at my MySQL troubleshooting guide at:

    [url]http://www.dreamweavermxsupport.com/index.php?type=article&pid=60&sid=61[/url]

    Explains how the connection process works, and ways of troubleshooting
    problems.

    --
    Gareth - TMM Dreamweaver
    [url]http://www.dreamweavermxsupport.com/[/url]

    PHP Login Suite V2 - 34 Server Behaviors to build a complete Login system.
    [url]http://www.phploginsuite.co.uk/[/url]

    Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter - Apress
    Co-Author: Practical Intranet Development - Apress
    Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Advanced PHP Web Development - Apress
    Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: PHP Web Development - Wrox

    gareth Guest