Professional Web Applications Themes

Trouble connecting to SQL Server with ASP !?! - ASP Database

somanybugssolittletimetofixthem wrote: > I have to write an ASP web application against a SQL server database. > The network guys set me up to create web pages on the server (IIS) > and created an ODBC connection. However, I cant connect to SQL server > and read any data using the System DSN. I get a generic SQL server > error complaining about NT authorization. Do I need to pass a SQL > server userid and password (I dont have one!). Is there any other SQL > server setup needed for web access? Have spent several days > struggling with ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Trouble connecting to SQL Server with ASP !?!

    somanybugssolittletimetofixthem wrote:
    > I have to write an ASP web application against a SQL server database.
    > The network guys set me up to create web pages on the server (IIS)
    > and created an ODBC connection. However, I cant connect to SQL server
    > and read any data using the System DSN. I get a generic SQL server
    > error complaining about NT authorization. Do I need to pass a SQL
    > server userid and password (I dont have one!). Is there any other SQL
    > server setup needed for web access? Have spent several days
    > struggling with this. No-one knows anything about web applications
    > with SQL server here.
    Forget about odbc. Have your SQL dba create a SQL login and use it in an
    OLEDB connection string. Examples can be found at [url]www.connectionstrings.com[/url]
    and [url]www.able-consulting.com/ado_conn.htm[/url]. Look for the examples that use the
    SQLOLEDB provider.

    This topic has been covered ad nauseam in this newsgroup, so you may want to
    use Google to find information about any future questions before posting
    (especially if you use the Google Advanced Groups Search). You'll probably
    find your answers faster than posting a question and waiting for someone to
    answer. [url]www.aspfaq.com[/url] is also a good resource. For example, here is an
    article on that site that probably deals with the error message you got:
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009[/url]

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  2. #2

    Ask your network guys if they set up the DSN to use "windows authentication"
    or "SQL Server Authentication". If it is "windows authentication" then the
    anonymous internet account on the web-server needs to be given access to the
    database in SQLServer Enterprise Manager.

    If it is "SQL Server Authentication" then you will need a SQLServer Logon ID
    and Password for an account that has access to the database. For use with a
    DSN the connection string would look like:
    dsn=dsn_goes_here;uid=db_account_id_here;pwd=db_ac count_pw_here

    For DSN-less connections see the other responses.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    "somanybugssolittletimetofixthem" <fixinbugzruszapembugs.com> wrote in
    message news:25CFA8DA-7FB1-4A67-80CF-1D5B740D1112microsoft.com...
    > I have to write an ASP web application against a SQL server database. The
    network guys set me up to create web pages on the server (IIS) and created
    an ODBC connection. However, I cant connect to SQL server and read any data
    using the System DSN. I get a generic SQL server error complaining about NT
    authorization. Do I need to pass a SQL server userid and password (I dont
    have one!). Is there any other SQL server setup needed for web access? Have
    spent several days struggling with this. No-one knows anything about web
    applications with SQL server here.

    Mark Schupp Guest