Professional Web Applications Themes

trouble converting PM6.5 doents to CS InDesign - Adobe Indesign Windows

Thanks Bob, and everyone else who has responded. First of all, have tried to set the PM props to save smaller and tried to convert one of those docs, still no luck. I am going to post something quite long, but this will explain a little better what is going on: When I open Adobe InDesign, this message keeps popping up, often at least a couple of times in a row: InDesign.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle off something, the information you working on might ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: trouble converting PM6.5 doents to CS InDesign

    Thanks Bob, and everyone else who has responded. First of all, have tried to set the PM props to save smaller and tried to convert one of those docs, still no luck. I am going to post something quite long, but this will explain a little better what is going on:

    When I open Adobe InDesign, this message keeps popping up, often at least a couple of times in a row:

    InDesign.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

    If you were in the middle off something, the information you working on might be lost.

    Please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error report so you can send this to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

    To see what this data report contains, click here.

    [Send Error Report] [Don’t Send]

    I usually click “Don’t Send” and the program automatically closes. I re-open the program, and usually this same thing happens again.
    Except about ever third time of so, I get this message:

    Adobe InDesign automatic recovery failed the last time it tried to open the doent “name of doent.indd”.
    Do you want to recover “name of doent.indd” again?

    Click Yes to begin recovery
    Click No to delete recovery data for this doent
    Click Cancel to postpone all doent recovery until later

    (Usually I’ve been clicking “No”.)

    Then a window pops up and I click on the button to:

    [Open Doent]
    Then I click on the title of the doent.

    Then this window pops up:

    ! Cannot open the doent “name of doent.indd”. You may not have permission or the doent may be open already. For multi-purpose user access, close the file, and set the file properties to read-only in Windows Explorer.
    [OK]
    I usually click “OK”.
    (By the way, NO, the doent is NOT open already.)

    Then this message appears:

    Warnings
    Tracking values were modified.
    Please check text composition in converted doent.
    No fill patterns are supported at this time.
    The doent uses the following fonts which are currently not available.
    Times
    Bookman
    [Close] [Save]

    I usually click “Close”.
    The doent then appears.

    Then, when I close the doent, I AGAIN get the following message:

    When I open Adobe InDesign, this message keeps popping up, often at least a couple of times in a row:

    InDesign.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

    If you were in the middle off something, the information you working on might be lost.

    Please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error report so you can send this to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

    To see what this data report contains, click here.

    [Send Error Report] [Don’t Send]

    And, YET AGAIN the program closes, I re-open it, and the cycle continues.

    Have restarted MY computer, my CO-WORKER’S computer, clicked every possible option, tried burning the doent from another computer onto CD, inserted CD to my computer to open it that way. It does not matter WHAT I do, this same cycle continues. I am so irritated. Should I quit trying and just retype the whole darn thing in Word and completely start from scratch??? This is making me mad!
    KR@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    P.S.
    I am happy that at least right now it is Friday, so in less than one hour I can forget about this problem for a few days!
    KR@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    It sounds like you're getting it converted and then it's crashing. Best
    thing to do is copy and paste everything to a new file. PM docs were
    notorious for getting corrupted and some of that corruption could be
    carrying through to the ID doent.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Is it really okay to copy and paste like that? Should I only copy and paste the text parts and just re-Place (not "replace", but re place) the photos?

    Also, will it matter a whole lot if I am thinking about changing the page size? (The new size may be smaller/not as long.)
    KR@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, C/P betweein docs is just fine.

  6. #6

    I don't think C/P is possible, is it? I tried it twice before and the only thing that pastes is the text.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    You can c/p anything between docs.

  8. #8

    Something is wrong here then. When I select the whole story (not via story editor) in PM and paste it into ID, all I get is the text part of it. I am doing this by placing the cursor in any insertion point in the story, Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Alt+Tab, Ctrl+V.

    Note: The story contains inline graphics.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I was referring to c/p within ID docs.

  10. #10

    Oh, I thought you meant copy from PM and paste to ID. My mistake.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    "Oh, I thought you meant copy from PM and paste to ID. My mistake."

    I kind of thought that too!
    KR@adobeforums.com Guest