Professional Web Applications Themes

Trouble exporting simple eps files - Macromedia Freehand

Okay, I'm getting back into the swing of things after having a kid, so I'm a little behind the curve. Can someone please tell me why my simple black and white drawings in Freehand come out all pixellated looking when I export them as an eps to Quark and PageMaker? I always used to be able to do this with no trouble. They print all pixelly too. Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Trouble exporting simple eps files

    Okay, I'm getting back into the swing of things after having a kid, so I'm a
    little behind the curve. Can someone please tell me why my simple black and
    white drawings in Freehand come out all pixellated looking when I export them
    as an eps to Quark and PageMaker? I always used to be able to do this with no
    trouble. They print all pixelly too. Thanks.

    Nettie555 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trouble exporting simple eps files

    Nettie555 wrote:
    > Okay, I'm getting back into the swing of things after having a kid,
    > so I'm a little behind the curve. Can someone please tell me why my
    > simple black and white drawings in Freehand come out all pixellated
    > looking when I export them as an eps to Quark and PageMaker? I always
    > used to be able to do this with no trouble. They print all pixelly
    > too. Thanks.

    Are you printing to a postscript printer?
    Wes Rand Guest

  3. #3

    No, I have an Epson C80, not a post script printer. I've been told it shouldn't
    matter. Plus, the key is that these images look pixellated on screen, before
    even printing. It has something to do with FreeHand.

    Nettie555 Guest

  4. #4

    You are seeing the8bit EPS preview image. A low res preview of the poscript
    art. When printed on Postscript printer it should look fine. If you want to
    preview it correctly on screen you should open it in Illustrator or create a
    PDF of the file using distiller. The PDF should also print to you Epson
    printer correctly.

    mg

    "Nettie555" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > No, I have an Epson C80, not a post script printer. I've been told it
    shouldn't
    > matter. Plus, the key is that these images look pixellated on screen,
    before
    > even printing. It has something to do with FreeHand.

    Martin Gamache Guest

  5. #5

    EPS = Encapsulated Postscript. You will need a Postscript printer or
    interpreter to print the full detail to a non-Postscript printer. What you
    are seeing (and printing) is the lo-res preview of the EPS, which is for
    placement only.

    In addition, if the artwork contains FHMX raster effects, you should set the
    Doent Settings > Raster Effects setting to a resolution appropriate for
    the printer.

    Judy Arndt

    Nettie555 wrote:
    > No, I have an Epson C80, not a post script printer. I've been told it
    > shouldn't
    > matter. Plus, the key is that these images look pixellated on screen, before
    > even printing. It has something to do with FreeHand.

    Judy Arndt Guest