Professional Web Applications Themes

Trouble installing Linux (probably 5 partition trouble) - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I already have winxp on my HD, and redhat on virtual pc. But i'm having trouble installing linux for real. Here's how my hard-drive is partitioned: hda1 -> primary partition for xp hda2 -> extended partition that contains: hda5 -> logical partition for my data -- now, i can make a /boot partition okay (which will be called hda3). And so I can make the / partition (root) which will be called hda4. But I can't make a swap partition, because probably hda5 is already taken. So, a disk can't have more than 5 partitions? Any help? PS. The first ...

  1. #1

    Default Trouble installing Linux (probably 5 partition trouble)

    --

    now, i can make a /boot partition okay (which will be called hda3).
    And so I can make the / partition (root) which will be called hda4.
    But I can't make a swap partition, because probably hda5 is already
    taken.

    So, a disk can't have more than 5 partitions?

    Any help?

    PS. The first thing that occured to me, and I might do it, will be to
    make my logical partition into a primary one so that I won't need an
    extended partition. But the last time I installed redhat (which was on
    virtual pc), I remember an extended partition being created for swap.
    So I am not sure whether it will work or not...

    PPS. Even if the above DOES work, I think I may have some trouble in
    the future if there's a partition_count <= 5 rule. See, I was thinking
    of getting a HD to install linuces on there, so I could keep my other
    HD only with windows stuff. I would have one /home same for all, and
    all the others would be default. But that would mean I would easily
    get over 5 partition limit.

    Any help? (again)
    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    Hello

    Chris Mantoulidis (<com>) wrote:

    Did you create /boot and /root behind hda5? They are created as primary
    partition (hda1-hda4). Try to create logical partitions instead (hda5
    -...)

    You can only have four primary partitions, and one can be extended and
    contain logical partitions. Maybe you cannot add logical partitions
    because hda2, where you would have to create them, ends with the end of
    hda5, and hda3 and hda4 are right behind. By the way, you don't have to
    create any primary partitions for installing linux, you can create
    /boot, / and swap (and more partitions, if you need them) as logical
    partitions.

    If you want to use more than four partitions, you have to use one
    extended partiton and create logical ones inside it (although you don't
    have to take care of the "inside" yourself if you use the installation
    program on your Linux distribution, it should be able to resize hda2
    automatically when you create logical partitions).

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    com

  3. #3

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 15:59:25 +0000, mjt wrote:

    > ... it can. you need to, i'm assuming, resize that hda5 so
    > that you can create new partitions for your requirements. if
    > hda5 is consuming the balance of the drive, then it needs to
    > be shrunk down. in redhat, show us the output of: "df"
    > and "fdisk -l /dev/hda"
    > .[/ref]
    Mine has 12 partitions currently, just create a huge extended partition
    (which it seems you have already done) and then create your needed logicals within it.
    hda1 -> primary for xp
    hda2 -> extended huge partition
    hda5 -> logical for data
    hda6 -> swap
    hda7 -> /boot
    hda8 -> /
    Or resize according to previous poster's suggestion.

    nunya Guest

  4. #4

    On 6 Dec 2003 00:15:14 -0800, com (Chris Mantoulidis) wrote:

    .... it can. you need to, i'm assuming, resize that hda5 so
    that you can create new partitions for your requirements. if
    hda5 is consuming the balance of the drive, then it needs to
    be shrunk down. in redhat, show us the output of: "df"
    and "fdisk -l /dev/hda"
    ..
    I am more bored than you could ever possibly be. Go back to work.
    mjt Guest

  5. #5

    "nunya" <0.0.1> wrote in message
    news:0.0.1... [/ref]
    wrote:

    > > ... it can. you need to, i'm assuming, resize that hda5 so
    > > that you can create new partitions for your requirements. if
    > > hda5 is consuming the balance of the drive, then it needs to
    > > be shrunk down. in redhat, show us the output of: "df"
    > > and "fdisk -l /dev/hda"
    > > .[/ref]
    > Mine has 12 partitions currently, just create a huge extended partition
    > (which it seems you have already done) and then create your needed[/ref]
    logicals within it.

    Small note. Very few, if any, PC's or current versions of Linux require a
    "/boot" partition of its own. That partition is a legacy of old BIOS
    limitations (of 8 Gig for certain master boot record behavior). If you
    actually need a "/boot" partition, it should be situated very early, if not
    first, on the disk, preferably with no cylinder on that partition numbered
    more than 1023.

    Putting it after your XP partition, which is probably more than 8 Gig, gains
    a normal user exactly nothing and is a waste of your time and effort.

    Nico Guest

  6. #6

    >Small note. Very few, if any, PC's or current versions of Linux require a

    Absolutely not true at all. Fact is, fewer and fewer distributions
    do more than boot with the /boot partition. In other words, after booting
    IT IS NOT MOUNTED so should be on a separate partition in reality. Plenty
    of folks have had problems booting a system without an allocated /boot
    partition. A /boot partition will rarely need more than 100MB of space
    allocated to it. READING the installation and use docs for a distribution,
    or just looking at how partitions are automatically allocated by a
    distribution reveals this simply and easily.
    nunya Guest

  7. #7

    >Plenty

    One reason for this ...

    If you had a system without swapspace and you wanted an xfs filesystem on it
    you will find you cannot install lilo onto it that partition.

    You would have this need if you wanted to use some other boot menu and so
    couldnt you the MBR.. and had heaps of ram.

    You would still another partition for booting.
    You wouldnt need to mount it at /boot, it would just have to hold the lilo
    boot sector.

    Leon. Guest