Professional Web Applications Themes

Trouble Printing Seperations - Adobe Indesign Windows

I just got Creative Suite 2, I havent had to many problems with it but I went to output my project I was working on, into color seperations but it is grayed out. I have tryed everything... The printer I have is a HP Deskjet 9800. It is not post script...What can I do to get seps to print? or is there anything I can do... Please Help.. I didnt know this was going to be a issue when i bought the printer... Pagemaker and my other older adobe products work just fine... HELP!!...

  1. #1

    Default Trouble Printing Seperations

    Stacey_Stanton@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trouble Printing Seperations

    Hi Stacey,

    Unfortunately, InDesign will not print separations to a non-PostScript printer, and I don't believe Acrobat will, either. This inability is specifically mentioned in the help file, I believe. Also, if your work contains any placed EPS, AI or PDF files, they may not print properly on your Deskjet.

    Remember that PageMaker is aimed more at business-type users who use PCL and other non-PS languages, whereas ID is aimed at the graphic arts crowd, most of whom wouldn't be caught dead and decomposing without PostScript.

    Just out of curiosity, what sort of work are you doing?
    Shane_Matthews@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    If you have Acrobat, print to PDF using seps and then output the PDF.
    But the question is...why do you need to do this?

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    Well Crap....
    I had no idea, I produce business forms, cards, letterhead, things of that sort.. mainly use spot colors.. I would use the seps to see if my colors separate correctly. Especially when recieving customers files... so there are no downloads..to make it work? I see Bobs response.. Shane do you think that outputting the PDF will work?
    Stacey_Stanton@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Ohh yeah and thanks for the quick response both of you... I should have done this 2 days ago.. We work in a MAC enviorment at work.. and also work in Post Script..(of course) But I am not educated in the ways of PC's but chose to go that route because of money.. and because there are no places around here to get a MAC let alone get it serviced if anything goes wrong... So can I assume that if I print a file...and the colors seperate that file is good to go to print? Man... PageMaker was so much easier then this... We are just moving to Indesign at work... So everyone is learning... Thanks again guys I appreciate it more then you know....
    Stacey_Stanton@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    This is not a Mac vs Windows situation. It's IDENTICAL on both platforms.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    Well, InDesign has never been very friendly towards non-postsciprt printers. Are you familiar with printing to a pdf file? It can be time consuming, if your doent large. You'll be able to print separations, because Acrobat is a virtual postscript printer. Then print the separated pdf file.

    I've used this once or twice to work around the same situation when I didn't have a postscript printer available, or had the wrong drivers installed by one of my predecessors.

    pj
    pjcassel@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    > Well, InDesign has never been very friendly towards non-postsciprt printers.

    If you were referring to version 1.0 you'd be right...since then however
    that statement is blatently false.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  9. #9

    Actually InDesign is much better than the competition for non-PostScript printers. Try printing an EPS file from QuarkXPress and you'll get a 72 ppi image. Print from InDesign and you'll InDesign will rasterize it for you.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks so much everyone... for your input... its nice to have a place to turn to ask questions..Im sure Ill be back!
    Stacey_Stanton@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I'm jumping in late, but if all you want to do is check to see if your page is separating correctly, most likely you don't really need to do more than look at the separations preview palette (Window > Output > Separations Preview or Shift + F6).

    On those occasions where I need to really see the individual plates I print the seps to PDF and view or print them in Acrobat unless I need to see them on full-size tabloid paper. It's actually faster and cheaper to print to the HP than my postscript laser.

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest