Professional Web Applications Themes

Trouble using mac as router to broadband - Mac Networking

Hi, I'm running a mac as a router, and the machines behind it can't see out onto the internet. The mac has 10.3.4, the supplied ethernet port connects to a cable modem, and gets its address via DHCP. The PCI ethernet card is connected to a switch, with other computers connected to it. Its got an assigned address of 192.168.0.1, other computers have different addresses in the same subnet. I've set up sharing to have "Share your connection from:" "Built in Ethernet" "To computers using:" "PCI Ethernet Slot 5" However other computers on the network don't seem to be able ...

  1. #1

    Default Trouble using mac as router to broadband

    Hi,

    I'm running a mac as a router, and the machines behind it can't see
    out onto the internet.

    The mac has 10.3.4, the supplied ethernet port connects to a cable
    modem, and gets its address via DHCP.

    The PCI ethernet card is connected to a switch, with other computers
    connected to it. Its got an assigned address of 192.168.0.1,
    other computers have different addresses in the same subnet.

    I've set up sharing to have

    "Share your connection from:" "Built in Ethernet"

    "To computers using:"

    "PCI Ethernet Slot 5"

    However other computers on the network don't seem to be able
    to get out (e.g. view web pages, ssh out)

    I've had this set up before and working properly, but unfortunately
    I can't figure out what's gone wrong this time.

    Any advice gratefully received.

    Dale

    --
    o.matic.bigpond.net.au
    Dale Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trouble using mac as router to broadband

    In article <bigpond.net.au>,
    Dale Stanbrough <net.au> wrote:

    Do the other machines have their default router set to 192.168.0.1?

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. #3

    In article <bigpond.net.au>,
    Dale Stanbrough <net.au> wrote:

    Does the router Mac have its firewall enabled in System Preferences?
    The controls there are blunt enough that they'll interfere with sharing
    a connection in this manner. If this is the case, and you want a
    firewall on the router Mac, you'll need to get a utility like Brickhouse
    for finer-grained control over firewall settings.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.

  4. #4

    Barry Margolin wrote:

    > Do the other machines have their default router set to 192.168.0.1?[/ref]

    yes, they do. They can see the router (rendezvous, ping, ssh to it).

    Dale

    --
    o.matic.bigpond.net.au
    Dale Guest

  5. #5

    In article <tph-837DAC.10201910062004localhost>,
    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    > Does the router Mac have its firewall enabled in System Preferences?
    > The controls there are blunt enough that they'll interfere with sharing
    > a connection in this manner. If this is the case, and you want a
    > firewall on the router Mac, you'll need to get a utility like Brickhouse
    > for finer-grained control over firewall settings.[/ref]

    Sounds just like the settings I use with my PCI ethernet.

    I'm with Tom on this one. Try turning off the firewall for a while and
    see if they can get out. If nothing changes, turn it back on.

    If they can get out, try turning it back on, but allow more of the
    services.

    You can check what rules are applied with the firewall with the terminal
    command: sudo ipfw show
    (this thing will be a little cryptic, but you'll be able to feed the
    output back to this group)

    --
    Walt Sellers
    Computer Engineer For Hire

  6. #6

    In article <bigpond.net.au>,
    Dale Stanbrough <net.au> wrote:

    I would like to point out that Apple help is deficient on the fine
    points; for example, I could not figure out why I could not access and
    administer accounts even though I followed the instructions completely.

    It would have helped if the help had told me that the account had to be
    logged out, if it wasn't the active account. It was a problem because I
    had a startup account with no access to system preferences.
    Walter Guest

  7. #7

    On 2004-06-10 08:58:44 -0400, Dale Stanbrough <net.au> said:

    are the other computers on your network set to DHCP?

    --
    -justin

    Justin Guest

  8. #8

    Justin McKillican wrote:

    They were all set to static addresses.

    I have managed to fix the problem however. My ISP had changed the
    domain name servers - for some reason the main computer was still able
    to access the older DNS, but the computers behind it were not.

    By changing the DNS details in the network control panel, everything
    has come good.

    Thanks for the suggestions that people made...

    Dale

    --
    o.matic.bigpond.net.au
    Dale Guest

  9. #9

    On 2004-06-14 09:06:19 -0400, Dale Stanbrough <net.au> said:

    > They were all set to static addresses.
    >
    > I have managed to fix the problem however. My ISP had changed the
    > domain name servers - for some reason the main computer was still able
    > to access the older DNS, but the computers behind it were not.
    >
    > By changing the DNS details in the network control panel, everything
    > has come good.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions that people made...
    >
    > Dale[/ref]

    going forward, if you would of set your network PCs to use DHCP they
    would of been able to get the proper DNS server just fine. they would
    of used your server's DNS.

    --
    -justin

    Justin Guest

  10. #10

    Justin McKillican <removethis.alsothis.ca> wrote:

    > > They were all set to static addresses.
    > >
    > > I have managed to fix the problem however. My ISP had changed the
    > > domain name servers - for some reason the main computer was still able
    > > to access the older DNS, but the computers behind it were not.
    > >
    > > By changing the DNS details in the network control panel, everything
    > > has come good.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the suggestions that people made...
    > >
    > > Dale[/ref]
    >
    > going forward, if you would of set your network PCs to use DHCP they
    > would of been able to get the proper DNS server just fine. they would
    > of used your server's DNS.[/ref]

    The router had the DNS settings pointing at the older addresses, as
    did the other computers. Only the router mac could access the internet.
    Presumably this machine would have handed out it's DNS addresses,
    which would have meant there was no practical difference?

    Dale

    --
    o.matic.bigpond.net.au
    Dale Guest