Professional Web Applications Themes

Trouble with AirPort Extreme - Mac Networking

I got my AirPort Extreme up yesterday, and it worked wonderfully with my PowerBook G4 -- for a day. Tonight, it ran into problems. It was not allowing me to access the Internet through it -- and I had to unplug and replug the AirPort (as the Setup Guide suggested). Each time, it caused it to return to normal, but this process happened three times in one night so far. Is this somewhat normal, or am I to be alarmed about this? Is there anything I can do to help the situation? Also, what is the proper procedure to follow ...

  1. #1

    Default Trouble with AirPort Extreme

    I got my AirPort Extreme up yesterday, and it worked wonderfully with my
    PowerBook G4 -- for a day.

    Tonight, it ran into problems. It was not allowing me to access the Internet
    through it -- and I had to unplug and replug the AirPort (as the Setup Guide
    suggested). Each time, it caused it to return to normal, but this process
    happened three times in one night so far.

    Is this somewhat normal, or am I to be alarmed about this? Is there anything
    I can do to help the situation? Also, what is the proper procedure to follow
    if it turns out that this is simply a bad AirPort and I have to return it to
    Apple to be repaired/replaced?

    Nelson Lu Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trouble with AirPort Extreme

    [email]nluXenon.Stanford.EDU[/email] (Nelson Lu) writes:
    > I got my AirPort Extreme up yesterday, and it worked wonderfully with my
    > PowerBook G4 -- for a day.
    >
    > Tonight, it ran into problems. It was not allowing me to access the Internet
    > through it -- and I had to unplug and replug the AirPort (as the Setup Guide
    > suggested). Each time, it caused it to return to normal, but this process
    > happened three times in one night so far.
    First, have you ruled out a provider problem?

    Curious...you don't perchance have any 2.4GHz cordless phones that
    might have been in use at the time?

    Were you able to ping other devices on your LAN? Or is the PB the
    only computer you have?

    How close were you to the access point?

    --
    Todd H.
    [url]http://www.toddh.net/[/url]

  3. #3

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 07:55:03 +0000 (UTC), Nelson Lu wrote:
    > I got my AirPort Extreme up yesterday, and it worked wonderfully with my
    > PowerBook G4 -- for a day.
    > Tonight, it ran into problems. It was not allowing me to access the Internet
    > through it -- and I had to unplug and replug the AirPort (as the Setup Guide
    > suggested). Each time, it caused it to return to normal, but this process
    > happened three times in one night so far.
    > Is this somewhat normal, or am I to be alarmed about this? Is there anything
    > I can do to help the situation? Also, what is the proper procedure to follow
    > if it turns out that this is simply a bad AirPort and I have to return it to
    > Apple to be repaired/replaced?
    I have also seen this. As an experiment, you might try opening a Terminal
    window and typing

    ping -i 30 apple.com

    to see if this helps maintain network connectivity. It's not foolproof, but it
    seems to help.

    --
    Dave Seaman
    Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.

  4. #4

    In article <bm5okn$snh$1Xenon.Stanford.EDU>, Nelson Lu
    <nluXenon.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
    > Tonight, it ran into problems. It was not allowing me to access the Internet
    > through it -- and I had to unplug and replug the AirPort (as the Setup Guide
    > suggested).
    I saw this sort of behavior a number of times after my cable modem
    connection had had a problem. (And since my modem had a *lot* of
    problems back in August, I saw this frequently.)

    One tip -- I bet you don't have to unplug the base station. You can
    probably restart it through the AirPort Admin Utility.

    Also, you may want to download the latest AirPort firmware update
    (5.1.1) from <http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html> --
    IIRC, it includes fixes that may help this problem.

    --
    -Thomas

    <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>
    Thomas Reed Guest

  5. #5

    In article <m0vfqxmqhi.fsfrcn.com>, Todd H. <comphelptoddh.net> wrote:
    >nluXenon.Stanford.EDU (Nelson Lu) writes:
    >
    >> I got my AirPort Extreme up yesterday, and it worked wonderfully with my
    >> PowerBook G4 -- for a day.
    >>
    >> Tonight, it ran into problems. It was not allowing me to access the Internet
    >> through it -- and I had to unplug and replug the AirPort (as the Setup Guide
    >> suggested). Each time, it caused it to return to normal, but this process
    >> happened three times in one night so far.
    >
    >First, have you ruled out a provider problem?
    It's not a provider problem; taking the Cable Modem <-> AirPort cable out and
    plugging it into the PowerBook shows that the connection has no problem.

    >Curious...you don't perchance have any 2.4GHz cordless phones that
    >might have been in use at the time?
    No -- in fact, I really need a cordless phone, but don't currently have one.
    :-)

    >Were you able to ping other devices on your LAN? Or is the PB the
    >only computer you have?
    I also have a G3 Tower, which I wasn't able to reach from the PowerBook or
    vice versa.

    >How close were you to the access point?
    Very close -- the Cable Modem is on a desk, as is the PowerBook; the AirPort
    is immediately to the left of the desk.
    Nelson Lu Guest

  6. #6

    In article <101020030828521212%thomasareeddont.spam.me>,
    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    >In article <bm5okn$snh$1Xenon.Stanford.EDU>, Nelson Lu
    ><nluXenon.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
    >
    >> Tonight, it ran into problems. It was not allowing me to access the Internet
    >> through it -- and I had to unplug and replug the AirPort (as the Setup Guide
    >> suggested).
    >
    >I saw this sort of behavior a number of times after my cable modem
    >connection had had a problem. (And since my modem had a *lot* of
    >problems back in August, I saw this frequently.)
    >
    >One tip -- I bet you don't have to unplug the base station. You can
    >probably restart it through the AirPort Admin Utility.
    >
    >Also, you may want to download the latest AirPort firmware update
    >(5.1.1) from <http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html> --
    >IIRC, it includes fixes that may help this problem.
    Thanks, I'll try it if it happens again. (Of course, it hasn't happened again
    since I posted the message -- perhaps the AirPort "got scared." :-))
    Nelson Lu Guest

  7. #7

    In article <bm6iur$kin$1Xenon.Stanford.EDU>,
    Nelson Lu <nluXenon.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
    >In article <101020030828521212%thomasareeddont.spam.me>,
    >Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    >>Also, you may want to download the latest AirPort firmware update
    >>(5.1.1) from <http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html> --
    >>IIRC, it includes fixes that may help this problem.
    >
    >Thanks, I'll try it if it happens again. (Of course, it hasn't happened again
    >since I posted the message -- perhaps the AirPort "got scared." :-))
    As it turned out, I checked and the AirPort already has firmware version 5.1.1.
    Oh well. :-)
    Nelson Lu Guest

  8. #8

    In article <bm5okn$snh$Stanford.EDU>,
    Stanford.EDU (Nelson Lu) wrote:

    My Mom had a problem that sounds similar to yours.

    But first of all, I have an Airport Extreme, connected to Verizon DSL in
    Mass, using PPPoE, and it all works very nicely.

    At my Mom's house I hooked up an Airport Extreme, to her Verizon DSL
    service, via PPPoE, in Penna, and it needed to be power cycled every day
    (very frustrating to me since I'm 300 miles away :-)

    My solution was to use a different router and now she doesn't have any
    problems.

    I hooked up a D-Link DI-704 Cable/DSL Router to the Verizon DSL line (I
    had it available). The Airport Extreme has been re-configured to just
    bridge WiFi to the in-house ethernet. This combination has been working
    flawlessly for 2 weeks. This is a huge improvement over having to power
    cycle it every day.

    Again, I did not try to diagnose it beyond replacing it with a different
    router that I already had available.

    And the Airport Extreme at my house is the router connected to Verizon
    DSL and it also works flawlessly.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  9. #9

    In article <bm62fl$auv$cc.purdue.edu>,
    Dave Seaman <such.host> wrote:

    > I have also seen this. As an experiment, you might try opening a Terminal
    > window and typing
    >
    > ping -i 30 apple.com
    >
    > to see if this helps maintain network connectivity. It's not foolproof, but
    > it
    > seems to help.[/ref]

    I was having the same problem as the original poster, and since starting
    the ping technique have had a continuous connection for many days. I
    also added a -q switch to suppress output to the Terminal window. As in:

    ping -i 30 -q apple.com

    Some have reported that the loss of connection problem went away with
    the latest firmware, but others have not.

    Don

    --
    Donald S. Hall, Ph.D.
    Apps & More Software Design, Inc.

  10. #10

    Bob Harris <dec.com> wrote:

    It sounds like a DHCP lease expiration problem on the up-link side. If
    you had a hub between the DSL modem and the AirPort Extreme, you could
    diagnose the problem quickly by running 'tcpdump' to see what IP
    addresses are on both sides.

    Bob Wilson
    Bob Guest

  11. #11

    A bit of an update:

    I "hard reset" (by using the reset button) the AirPort -- after which the
    AirPort stopped responding to the Powerbook at all. But then I trashed the
    AirPort Extreme preferences, and since then, the AirPort hasn't given me any
    trouble at all.
    Nelson Guest