Professional Web Applications Themes

Trouble with Next Style in a paragraph style - Adobe Indesign Windows

I'm uisng ID 2. I'm having trouble setting up paragraph styles. Lets take "block quote" for example. I have this style set up to be indented both right and left (.5 in.), with a space (.5 in.) before and after. That way it looks like an isolated piece of quoted text within the regular text. Now, some block quotes will have more than one paragraph in them. If I hit the enter key where I want the new paragraph, it begins a new paragraph, but with the .5 in. space before specified in the block quote style. As I understand ...

  1. #1

    Default Trouble with Next Style in a paragraph style

    I'm uisng ID 2. I'm having trouble setting up paragraph styles. Lets take "block quote" for example. I have this style set up to be indented both right and left (.5 in.), with a space (.5 in.) before and after. That way it looks like an isolated piece of quoted text within the regular text. Now, some block quotes will have more than one paragraph in them. If I hit the enter key where I want the new paragraph, it begins a new paragraph, but with the .5 in. space before specified in the block quote style. As I understand it, I can specify a different style in the "Next Style" box in the General Options for the block quote style, one that is based on block quote and has all the characteristics of block quote, without the .5 in. space before. I call this style "block quote paragraph." Now, when I hit enter at the end of a line in my block quote, the next style should be invoked, right? It isn't. I continue to get the block quote style with the space I don't want. "Block quote" remains highlighted in the styles pallete. What am I doing wrong?
    Clark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trouble with Next Style in a paragraph style

    I don't know. It works here as expected in ID2, ID CS and ID CS2.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    The one limitation of this feature is that you cannot click mid-paragraph and hit return and expect that the next paragraph be the next style. In that case, both paragraphs will have the same (first) style.

    This can cause confusion if you have a space, say, at the end of a paragraph and don't notice. If you click before the space and hit return, you'll be disappointed.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Could my problem have something to do with the fact that I'm setting up paragraph styles in my original word doent, with paragraph marks where I want the next style to start? I was looking for an answer in Real World Indesign 2 and found that "this feature is intended to be used while you're typing, not editing or formatting"?
    Clark Guest

  5. #5

    There is a new feature in InDesign CS2 that gives more power to Next Style for already set text, but prior to this most recent release, the feature could only be used while typing (and to a limited extent while editing).

    It is not applicable during placing of text from a file.