Professional Web Applications Themes

Troubles exporting logo to Freehand or Illustrator - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi, My company logo has a bird in it. I once created this bird image by manually tracing a photo of a bird in Fireworks using the pen tool, so the image is vector based The wing tips of this bird are sharp in Fireworks, but when I export the image to Freehand or Illustrator (to deliver them to a print shop to print business cards), the sharp wing tips seem to get cut of. It doesn't make any difference what line type I select for the bird: soft, hard, rounded corners.... To see what I mean, please view here: ...

  1. #1

    Default Troubles exporting logo to Freehand or Illustrator

    Hi,

    My company logo has a bird in it.
    I once created this bird image by manually tracing a photo of a bird in Fireworks using the pen tool, so the image is vector based

    The wing tips of this bird are sharp in Fireworks, but when I export the image to Freehand or Illustrator (to deliver them to a print shop to print business cards), the sharp wing tips seem to get cut of.
    It doesn't make any difference what line type I select for the bird: soft, hard, rounded corners....

    To see what I mean, please view here: http://www.flevooware.nl/temp/logo-troubles.htm

    How can I export this bird to eg. Freehand so that the wing tips remain sharp?

    --
    Marja Ribbers-de Vroed

    Company website:
    www.flevooware.nl
    Dreamweaver extensions:
    www.flevooware.nl/dreamweaver/

    Marja Guest

  2. #2

    Marja Ribbers wrote:

    In both FreeHand and Illustrator you can set the "join" type of strokes
    (how sharp corners look) to 3 settings: miter, round and bevel. It's
    possible that FreeHand and Illustrator didn't interpret the join type of
    your exported file correctly. I tested your PNG myself and exported to
    AI 7 format from FWMX2004 with FreeHand compatibility checked and opened
    the file in both FreeHand MXa and Illustrator CS (v11) and the stroke
    looked OK to me as it was set to a round join. If that is not what you
    see, in FreeHand MX, select the bird object and go to the Object panel
    then select the stroke entry. You will see 3 buttons to set the join
    type below. In AI, select the shape and go to the Stroke Panel to find
    the same. I have no earlier version of FH installed to check how that
    was set before MX.

    In Fireworks, the only approximation you'll find to join types is a
    choice between a square and a round stroke in the Shape tab of the
    Advanced dialog of the Strokes Options dialog. That's pretty limited...
    and a pain to get to...

    HTH!

    Stéphane Bergeron

    Stéphane Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Peter, your solution was easy and effective.

    --
    Marja Ribbers-de Vroed

    Company website:
    www.flevooware.nl
    Dreamweaver extensions:

  4. #4

    Thanks Stéphane.

    I followed up Peter's suggestion and that worked out fine for this specific situation.
    I suppose I will need to get more acquainted with Freehand :)

    --
    Marja Ribbers-de Vroed

    Company website:
    www.flevooware.nl
    Dreamweaver extensions:

  5. #5

    Marja Ribbers wrote:

    Yes you probably should ;-)

    But look at Peter's image. Even after making the stroke 0.5 the join is
    still set to bevel (corner cut off) so it will still print that way. You
    should check the Miter join option instead (the leftmost button) and the
    corners will look sharp at any stroke thickness.

    Cheers!

    Stéphane Bergeron

    Stéphane Guest

  6. #6

    Stéphane Bergeron wrote:

    || But look at Peter's image. Even after making the stroke 0.5 the join
    || is still set to bevel (corner cut off) so it will still print that
    || way. You should check the Miter join option instead (the leftmost
    || button) and the corners will look sharp at any stroke thickness.
    Marja, Stéphane is absolutely correct and thanks to his detailed explanation
    I now understand what all this means :) so apologies for the misleading
    screen grab.

    As a side point. I'm have trouble finding good tutorials for Freehand MX and
    am hearing some scary stories regarding MM dropping support for FH
    altogether. As I'm very new to FH or any Illustration program I'm wondering
    if my time would be better spent learning AI?

    Peter Guest

  7. #7

    Peter R wrote:

    Hi Peter,

    I personally use both because, as both apps mature they are evolving
    differently and complete each other very well. I've used Illustrator
    much longer myself but I am loving FreeHand MX (after starting on
    FreeHand 10). The lastes Illustrator version (CS) is fantastic with its
    full OpenType support, new 3D cababilities and more. Give the demo a try
    and see how you like it.

    As for learning FreeHand, you could start at Macromedia's site:

    http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/learning.html
    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/freehand/

    The primary FreeHand info source is probably the FreeHandSource site but
    it is not updated as often as it used to be. Most of the material is for
    older FreeHand versions but the majority of it still applies in FHMX:

    http://www.freehandsource.com

    HTH!

    Stéphane Bergeron

    Stéphane Guest

  8. #8

    Thank you again Stéphane :)

    I've now set the join option to Miter and the bird is looking just fine now in both Illustrator and Freehand.

    --
    Marja Ribbers-de Vroed

    Company website:
    www.flevooware.nl