Professional Web Applications Themes

troubleshooting "IP Printing" - Mac Applications & Software

Situation: linux box #1 has a laser printer, and if I walk over to linux box #2, I can "lpr -P... file" and a few seconds later it starts printing on box #1's printer. So the printer is up, and box #1's lpd is properly set up to listen on the network. I've put all of 192.168.1.* into its /etc/hosts.lpd file, to make sure that any local machine can use the printer. I even run lpd with the -l option, and see a few messages in the log when box #2 sends a print job. So the logging is working. ...

  1. #1

    Default troubleshooting "IP Printing"

    Situation: linux box #1 has a laser printer, and if I walk over to linux
    box #2, I can "lpr -P... file" and a few seconds later it starts printing
    on box #1's printer. So the printer is up, and box #1's lpd is properly
    set up to listen on the network. I've put all of 192.168.1.* into its
    /etc/hosts.lpd file, to make sure that any local machine can use the printer.
    I even run lpd with the -l option, and see a few messages in the log when
    box #2 sends a print job. So the logging is working.

    But the two powerbooks can't use it. When I use the Print Center, tell
    it to add a printer, and select the "IP Printing" from the menu, it seems
    to work fine. The printer appears in the printer list. I can start a
    print job. But nothing happens.

    When I click on the printer in the list, I get a status window that says
    "Jobs Stopped." The help stuff just says to hit "Start Jobs", which I
    do. The "Jobs Stopped" line changes to name the print job, progress bar
    spins for a few seconds, and then the "Jobs Stopped" message reappears.

    Meanwhile, on the linux box, tcpstat shows no incomiing connection (to
    port 515 or any other), and no messages appear in the log. So it looks
    from lpd's viewpoint that nobody is requesting a print job.

    Digging through the Mac Help stuff gets as far as saying the solution is
    to click on the "Start Jobs". There are no clues that I can find saying
    what to do when this doesn't work.

    Anyone have any clues? Is there some way to get the Mac's Print Center
    to tell me what's going wrong? Is this somewhere off in the Help stuff
    that I can't find?

    John Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: troubleshooting "IP Printing"

    John Chambers <com> wrote:

    I don't use the Print Center, but I wonder if it means lpd when it
    says "IP printing".

    I added my print server with
    sudo lpadmin -p laserjet6L -E -v socket://10.1.36.221:9110 -m laserjet

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  3. #3

    com wrote:

    Well, I'd guess that this isn't too relevant. After all, when you
    make a connection (presumably via TCP), how can you tell what's at
    the other end? The only thing you can really tell is whether the
    other end is speaking the same language you are. If so, it doesn't
    much matter what the thing's name is.

    I reread the "man lpadmin" page, and tried a few variants on that.
    I used the IP address and port (515) that I know the lpd is listening
    on. I got no error messages, and exit status of zero, and the Print
    Center showed the printer. But when I tried to print something "using
    CMD-P or lpr) on the powerbook, it misbehaved the same as the other
    tries. Nothing prints, the linux box that has the printer shows no
    incoming connection, and the status box for the print queue says "Jobs
    Stopped". When I press the "Start Jobs" icon, the "Jobs Stopped"
    changes to "No job printing." When I click on "Start Jobs" again,
    the "No job printing" switches back to "Jobs Stopped."

    No amount of poking seems to turn up anything resembling an error message.
    The status of the print jobs stays at "-".

    I wonder if there are any more clues lying about somewhere.

    John Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:11:08 -0400,
    John Chambers (com) wrote:

    > Ah, that's what you meant. So is there any info on what apple might
    > mean by "IP Printing"? One of the things that I first suspected was
    > that this phrase might mean something specific, and they might not
    > talk to things like lpd.[/ref]

    I think it first tries to print by connecting to the remote cupsd
    (tcp port 631), with fall-back to lpd (tcp port 515). Now, if your
    remote is configured to drop all packets received at port 631,
    instead of sending a TCP RST, things get stuck indefinitely.

    The above is speculation based on my observations while setting
    up LPR printing from OS X to a Linux PC.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  5. #5

    John Chambers <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    You did say this is an HP network printer?

    You don't need LPD for that:

    Something like this will work:

    sudo lpadmin -p laserjet6L -E -v socket://10.1.36.221:9100 -m laserjet

    changed appropriately for your HP's ip of course, and use whatever you
    want instead of "laserjet6l" for the name.

  6. #6

    Bev A. Kupf wrote:

    Interesting. I wonder how I'd test it. I know that the linux box
    has nothing listening on port 631, and lpd is listening on port 515.
    When I telnet to the linux box's port 631, I get "Connection refused".
    But I don't know whether that means that packets are dropped or a
    TCP RST was sent. How would I tell?

    Anyway, I wouldn't describe the behavior as getting stuck. On the
    powerbook, the print status window shows "Jobs Stopped". When I click
    on "Start Jobs", the progress bar spins for a bit, and then "Jobs Stopped"
    reappears. This doesn't sound like "getting stuck". It sound more like
    the powerbook's software isn't getting the responses it expects.

    It would probably help if there were some way to get a debug trace of
    what the powerbook's print software things is happening. If it would
    tell me what the problem is, maybe I could fix it. Is there any way
    of turning on any sort of logging? I've been digging around for some
    such thing, and haven't found even a hint that it exists.

    John Guest