Professional Web Applications Themes

TrueType and OpenType fonts not working right - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have a version of Futura (Futura Casual) from which I created bold, italic and bold italic versions, using FontLab 4.6. If I save these fonts in TrueType format, InDesign (3.01) only recognizes the original. The bold and italic versions don't show up in the font style list. But the bold and italic versions ARE available in Illustrator 10 and in every applications from every other vendor (Microsoft, Corel, et al). If I save these fonts in OpenType format, the bold and italic variations become available in the font style list and I can apply them. But the Ctrl + ...

  1. #1

    Default TrueType and OpenType fonts not working right

    I have a version of Futura (Futura Casual) from which I created bold, italic and bold italic versions, using FontLab 4.6.

    If I save these fonts in TrueType format, InDesign (3.01) only recognizes the original. The bold and italic versions don't show up in the font style list. But the bold and italic versions ARE available in Illustrator 10 and in every applications from every other vendor (Microsoft, Corel, et al).

    If I save these fonts in OpenType format, the bold and italic variations become available in the font style list and I can apply them. But the Ctrl + Shift + I and Ctrl + Shift + B shortcuts won't work, even if I re-apply them in the Shortcuts dialog!

    Deleting the preferences file and rebooting don't fix the problem. WTF is it about InDesign that prevents it from displaying these fonts properly?
    Bob_Flisser@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: TrueType and OpenType fonts not working right

    So you made these fonts, and they don't work right...I would want to look at
    the fonts first. I mean, Indesign works the way it works, but the fonts,
    hey, you can change them. Maybe you can even change them so that they work,
    umm, right. :^)

    The first place I would want to look is at names: Font Name and Font Family
    Name. Compare those to a font family you already know works.

    Ken Benson

    Kenneth_Benson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Ken,

    Been there, done that. I copied and pasted the font names, family names, style, copyright, etc., etc. info from a working font to the new one, and edited just the variation info.

    What's driving me nuts is that the font works just fine in every other application, including other Adobe applications. If it didn't work anywhere, then it would be obvious that the font is messed up. Since I can use the font w/o any problem in Illustrator, Photoshop, CorelDraw, Freehand, Word and Excel, it means to me that the font works. It only refuses to work in InDesign.

    So what I need to find out is what does InDesign require of fonts that every other application doesn't require.
    Bob_Flisser@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Oh, here's one other bit of weirdness: when I have the TrueType versions installed, InDesign shows it with a (TT) note, meaning it sees more than one format of the font, even though there is none in my Fonts folder.

    And what other format does InDesign show? At the bottom of the font list, it shows the Futura Casual with a (Cyrillic) notation. My Russian is very rusty, and there's no way I would have chosen a Cyrillic option. Not to mention that no other application shows an available Cyrillic and there's no other version of Futura Casual in my Fonts folder. It seems that InDesign is showing me things that aren't there.

    "This is getting curiouser and curiouser," Alice said.
    Bob_Flisser@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    > So what I need to find out is what does InDesign require of fonts that
    every other application doesn't require.

    I would like to know that too. Have you tried asking in the typography
    forum?

  6. #6

    I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Bob_Flisser@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Well, problem solved.....sort of.

    I assigned a completely new family name to the font, and everything works properly in InDesign as it already does in other applications. Fortunately, only a few people are using this font, so there won't be much confusion.

    This means that InDesign 3.01 retains some memory of font family names that doesn't get cleared when the Windows fonts folder is changed and that persists even after deleting the preferences file.
    Bob_Flisser@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Try Font Creator <http://www.high-logic.com/fcp.html> by High-Logic. It works good. I've used it. I know.

    Mr. Ed,
    Genius
    Mr_._Ed@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks for the suggestion, but I already evaluated Font Creator and a few others. I found that FontLab had a number of features the others didn't (though I couldn't tell you the differences off the top of my head; it was a while ago).

    FontLab looks like what Fontographer would have become, had Macromedia kept it updated. And it was certainly more expensive than all the others, too! At least I got a competitive upgrade price.

    I spent the better part of today tweaking about a half dozen fonts, renaming the families and removing extraneous data. InDesign now accepts them, too. If I ever get that problem again, I'll just add numbers to the names.
    Bob_Flisser@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    This means that InDesign 3.01 retains some memory of font family names
    that doesn't get cleared when the Windows fonts folder is changed and
    that persists even after deleting the preferences file.

    Delete all files with the extension .lst in the folder Program Files > common Files > Adobe > TypeSpt. If there is a file FntNames.db in that folder, this can cause problems also. Move it to another location if you don'nt want to delete it.

    Teus de Jong
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest