Professional Web Applications Themes

Trying to boot Linux from my second Hard Disk. - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

My configuration: ----------------- ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard: Primary Master: CD-ROM Primary Slave: Empty Secondary Master: Western Digital HDD with Linux red Hat 8 installed. Secondary Slave: CD-RW Integrated Promise PDC20378 RAID controller with: Two Seagate HDD in RAID 0 connected to the SerialATA connectors with two Windows XP Pro installed. One Empty IDE slot (Third Master and Slave) Western Digital HDD: ---------------------- Primary /dev/hdc1 /boot (GRUB also installed here, not in MBR) Primary /dev/hdc2 / Primary /dev/hdc3 /usr Extended /dev/hdc4 Logical /dev/hdc5 /usr/local Other logical /var, /opt etc etc RAID 0 Array --------------- MBR GAG boot loader (I've tryied others ...

  1. #1

    Default Trying to boot Linux from my second Hard Disk.

    My configuration:
    -----------------

    ----------------------

    Primary /dev/hdc1 /boot (GRUB also installed here, not in MBR)
    Primary /dev/hdc2 /
    Primary /dev/hdc3 /usr
    Extended /dev/hdc4
    Logical /dev/hdc5 /usr/local
    Other logical /var, /opt etc etc

    RAID 0 Array
    ---------------

    MBR GAG boot loader (I've tryied others that install ONLY in MBR as well.
    I avoid the ones that need a partiton.)
    Primary Empty
    Primary Windows XP Pro I
    Primaty Windows XP Pro II
    Extended
    Logical
    Logical

    My /etc/grub.conf file is:
    ------------------------

    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    # root (hd0,0)
    # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdc2
    # initrd /initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hdc1
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=LXMAIN hdd=ide-scsi
    initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img

    The Problem:
    --------------

    I cannot boot into Linux when RAID 0 array is set as the First Disk in BIOS,
    so when I boot through the Boot Loader (GAG, OSL2000 etc). I get the word
    GRUB on a black screen and that's all. All boot loaders I've tryied see all
    HDDs in the system, but all failed to boot Linux from second HDD.
    If I changed the HDD in BIOS, so the Western Digital would become the first
    disk, then Linux boots flawlessly.
    Any solution?

    Many thanks,
    Rick co.uk (Remove NOSPAM for
    emails)

    PS - The same (more or less) message was posted in alt.os.linux few days
    ago, but no answer.

    Rick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trying to boot Linux from my second Hard Disk.

    > My /etc/grub.conf file is:

    you chainload to grub?

    I don't know grub all that well, so I do not know what the appearance of
    the letters means.
    My guess is that (hd0,0) is incorrect now, but I am not sure.

    In lilo you'd be guaranteed that the disk was properly recognized when
    all letters from lilo have appeared. With grub I don't know.
    Have you tried lilo? There's just a new release that should automatically
    detect the proper drive through the HDD's volume-ID

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  3. #3

    I'll try that.

    Thanks,
    Rick

    "Eric Moors" <land> wrote in message

    > you chainload to grub?

    > I don't know grub all that well, so I do not know what the appearance of
    > the letters means.
    > My guess is that (hd0,0) is incorrect now, but I am not sure.
    >
    > In lilo you'd be guaranteed that the disk was properly recognized when
    > all letters from lilo have appeared. With grub I don't know.
    > Have you tried lilo? There's just a new release that should automatically
    > detect the proper drive through the HDD's volume-ID
    >
    > Eric[/ref]

    Rick Guest

  4. #4

    I've just installed Lilo, but the same problem.

    Rick

    Rick Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:13:34 +0200, Rick wrote:

    Which version. (you would need 22.5.8)
    How does lilo fail exactly?
    What does it say when you run it with 2/3 -v flags?

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Eric,
    It is the version coming with RedHat9, presumly the last. (I've just
    installed RedHat 9. I wanted to do it anyway).
    When boot to Lilo, I get just a black-greyish screen, not the pitch black
    one.
    Again, if I switch HDDs in BIOS I can boot no problems.

    Here is the /etc/lilo.conf file:

    prompt
    timeout=50
    default=LinuxRedHat9
    boot=/dev/hdc1
    map=/boot/map
    install=/boot/boot.b
    message=/boot/message
    linear

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8smp
    label=LinuxRedHat9
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8smp.img
    read-only
    append="hdd=ide-scsi root=LABEL=LXMAIN"

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8
    label=LinuxRedHat9-up
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
    read-only
    append="hdd=ide-scsi root=LABEL=LXMAIN"

    Rick.

    Rick Guest

  7. #7

    I've downloaded then latest Lilo. I'm in the process of reading and learning
    from the README files... After I install it I'll come back. Might take few
    days. My time is limited.
    I ran lilo -V and it's 21.4.9 (as far as I remember...), so it needs to be
    updated.

    > Which version. (you would need 22.5.8)
    > How does lilo fail exactly?
    > What does it say when you run it with 2/3 -v flags?
    >
    > Eric[/ref]

    Rick Guest

  8. #8

    Rick wrote:

    Hopefully Eric will give an authoritative reply,
    in which case please ignore this.
    (I use grub rather than LILO, and so am doubly incompetent
    to answer your query.)

    But as far as I can see, you are trying to boot
    from the master disk on the second controller (hdc).
    I didn't think that was possible,
    unless you specify it in the BIOS.

    Also you have put LILO at the beginning of the first partition
    on this disk, rather than in the MBR.
    For that to work at all,
    I think you would have to make the partition active,
    so that the BIOS looks there for the boot loader.
    Maybe LILO does that?

    The standard arrangement is to install LILO (or grub)
    in the MBR of the first master disk (hda), ie boot=/dev/hda ,
    since that is where the BIOS will look first.

    Finally, you said you had the LILO from RH-9.0,
    which you thought would be the most recent.
    I've read of several new versions of LILO since RH-9.0 came out,
    so I don't think your assumption would be true.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie

  9. #9

    Timothy Murphy wrote:

    Sure it is. It works fine if it's the first disk *found*, and also (I
    believe) if there is no MBR on any disks found earlier.

    That's true about the location. Also, if there's an old LILO at the
    beginning of the disk, that will cause its own adventures and have to be
    replaced or flushed.

    The partition being active can be checked with "fdisk -l".

    True. The LILO in RH 9 is the most recent RedHat tested and packaged,
    version 21.4. RedHat often stays away from the bleeding edge of
    development with such packages.

    Nico Guest

  10. #10

    > But as far as I can see, you are trying to boot from the master disk on

    it depends on the BIOS whether or not it is possible.
    In his case he appearantly can select in the BIOS to boot from hdc, so
    that means it is possible.

    I believe he is chain-loading from another bootloader.
    I asked that before, but he has not yet answered that, so I am not
    100% sure.

    BTW: it is not the BIOS that searches for an active partition. The
    behaviour you are describing is that of the default DOS bootloader

    Yep. (although you may be able to change the search order, depends on
    your BIOS)

    It definitely is not true. Last lilo is 22.5.8 AFAIK.
    It is the easiest solution to use that version as it doesn't require him
    to use the disk=, bios= parameters in his lilo.conf. Older lilo's should
    work after configuring these parameters correctly.

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  11. #11

    It's all done now. Yes, I was chainloading from GAG which is on the first
    disk MBR.
    Latest Lilo does the job. The older versions needed
    disk 2 == bios 0x80
    disk 1 == bios 0x81
    I coudnt find anything about GRUB.
    Thanks to everyone,

    > it depends on the BIOS whether or not it is possible.
    > In his case he appearantly can select in the BIOS to boot from hdc, so
    > that means it is possible.

    > I believe he is chain-loading from another bootloader.
    > I asked that before, but he has not yet answered that, so I am not
    > 100% sure.
    >
    > BTW: it is not the BIOS that searches for an active partition. The
    > behaviour you are describing is that of the default DOS bootloader

    > Yep. (although you may be able to change the search order, depends on
    > your BIOS)

    > It definitely is not true. Last lilo is 22.5.8 AFAIK.
    > It is the easiest solution to use that version as it doesn't require him
    > to use the disk=, bios= parameters in his lilo.conf. Older lilo's should
    > work after configuring these parameters correctly.
    >
    > Eric[/ref]

    Rick Guest

  12. #12

    > It's all done now. Yes, I was chainloading from GAG which is on the

    great.

    grub can also perform these mappings
    The automated detection is a new extension of lilo, I don't
    think grub has something simular yet. (But with grub you can
    enter the grub shell and search for a kernel I believe)

    Eric
    Eric Guest