Professional Web Applications Themes

Trying to figure this out! newbie - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hey, I am almost done downloading the final iso of debian and am getting really excited to try Linux. Here is my situation. I have a machine with windows 2000 pro on it and i want to dual boot to linux. I have found a plethera of information that helps me do this so I think I am good on that point. In my exictment i converted my harddrive to a dynamic drive so I can create a partition to install Linux. Then I remembered.... there are no partitions with a dynamic drive in windows 2000. They are VOLUMES!!! Now ...

  1. #1

    Default Trying to figure this out! newbie

    Hey, I am almost done downloading the final iso of debian and am getting
    really excited to try Linux. Here is my situation. I have a machine with
    windows 2000 pro on it and i want to dual boot to linux. I have found a
    plethera of information that helps me do this so I think I am good on that
    point. In my exictment i converted my harddrive to a dynamic drive so I can
    create a partition to install Linux. Then I remembered.... there are no
    partitions with a dynamic drive in windows 2000. They are VOLUMES!!!

    Now here's my question: Can I install debian onto a volume and still have
    it work? Any help would be great!..
    One other quick question. Debian 3 has 7 iso images (7 cd's) do I need the
    upgrade iso as well? or is that for upgrade purposes only. Thanks again
    for helping yet another newbie!

    Sonny Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trying to figure this out! newbie

    Hello

    Sonny (<com>) wrote:

    I don't know enough about Windows 2000 to say how these volumes work,
    but the normal way would be to simply shrink the windows partition and
    create linux partitions in the free space. However, as far as I know,
    the Debian installation program cannot resize NTFS partitions.

    You don't need it. The upgrade CD is for people who already have a set
    of 3.0r1 ISOs and don't want to download everything again.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    com

  3. #3

    "Andreas Janssen" <com> wrote in message

    > I don't know enough about Windows 2000 to say how these volumes work,
    > but the normal way would be to simply shrink the windows partition and
    > create linux partitions in the free space. However, as far as I know,
    > the Debian installation program cannot resize NTFS partitions.

    > You don't need it. The upgrade CD is for people who already have a set
    > of 3.0r1 ISOs and don't want to download everything again.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen
    >
    > --
    > Andreas Janssen
    > com
    > PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
    > Registered Linux User #267976[/ref]

    Thanks alot. Here is some information for you. When you have a basic
    (normal) disk setup on windows 2000 (xp) and convert it to a dynamic disk
    you CAN NOT resize the initial partition (volume) to make more room. The
    way it works is you would install windows on say a 2 gig partition, convert
    your disk to a dynamic disk and then you get to play and resize your free
    space. You also cannot convert a dynamic disk back to a basic one. You will
    loose all data. I have a 20 gig hard drive and all was used in the primary
    partition. I converted it to a dynamic disk and now I end up with 7 Mb of
    free space. I can't resize this anymore b/c partition magic wont play with
    dynamic disks. So in a nutshell, unless i re-format my disk, this baby is a
    dedicated windows machine.
    DAMN MICROSOFT!!! I am going to wipe it just to spite ol' Bill.

    Thanks for your help and I hope my errors help someone else!

    Sonny Guest

  4. #4

    Sonny uttered the immortal words:

    I only downloaded the first CD. It gets me a base stable system that I
    "apt-get dist-upgrade" to unstable and install everything I want via APT
    after that. This is not recommended for 56k modem users :-)

    I should try to get an unstable CD with jigdo really but can't be bothered.
    I have an apt-proxy here and it takes no time to upgrade stable to
    unstable :-)

    --
    Andy.
    Andy Guest

  5. #5

    "Sonny" <com> wrote in message
    can

    I think you can return your simple volumes back to being inside normal
    partitions...
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309044#3

    You cant make complex volumes (volumes that are raided, striped, spanned)
    simple...

    but also the linux kernel can recognise dynamic drives, but how would you
    create volumes in dynamic drives for linux to install on ?

    Maybe you can make them with NT/2000/XP and then change them to be linux
    filesystems ?

    Lilo and grub should still be able to install on the first sector of the
    hard disk
    and load ...

    Leon. Guest