Professional Web Applications Themes

Trying to get Flash Media Server working - Macromedia Flash Flashcom

I am on a headless server. My first question - do I have the right processes running: localhost:11110 *:* LISTEN 5793/fmsadmin *:1935 *:* LISTEN 16781/fmsedge localhost:19350 *:* LISTEN 16781/fmsedge *:1111 *:* LISTEN 5793/fmsadmin ?...

  1. #1

    Default Trying to get Flash Media Server working

    I am on a headless server. My first question - do I have the right processes
    running:
    localhost:11110 *:* LISTEN 5793/fmsadmin
    *:1935 *:* LISTEN 16781/fmsedge
    localhost:19350 *:* LISTEN 16781/fmsedge
    *:1111 *:* LISTEN 5793/fmsadmin
    ?

    murrrph Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Trying to get Flash Media Server working

    Looks good. The server by default will listen on 1935 for the normal FMS service, and port 1111 for the admin.
    Graeme Bull Guest

  3. #3

    My concern was that doing the following, as the doco said:

    # ./fmsmgr server start
    Server:start command:
    Server service start not found. Exiting.
    #

    , did not work, so instead I did this:

    # ./fmsmgr server fms start
    Server:fms command:start
    NPTL 2.7
    Starting Adobe Flash Media Server (please check /var/log/messages)
    #

    , which did work. Also I was a bit concerned that the procress said 'fmsedge'
    - when I thought that the edge was something to do with a different product...

    thankyou - Chris

    murrrph Guest

  4. #4

    The fmsedge process is quite normal - I think FMS runs couple of processes and
    distributes them to sub-threads. I think it's because of performance on
    multi-core processors.

    In Fedora /etc/rc.d/init.d/fms start should work just nicely. If the server
    doesn't start make sure you have all libraries installed.
    Don't forget to check logs and paste them here so we can take a look.

    vladaman Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks vladaman,

    I've got streaming working very nicely from the headless server to my own
    machine. Another user does have a problem thou (which is not a firewall issue).
    Could you verify that it is working from your end. please go to
    http://www.strandz.org/flash/ProdKPIs.html

    Another thing - I've chosen not to run the AdminServer at all - I just restart
    fms after placing a new file in the vod2/media directory. Is this ok?

    thanks - Chris Murphy

    murrrph Guest

  6. #6

    I've had enough responses now to realise that the server is streaming
    beautifully - but only to my computer. It won't even work from another computer
    on this network. I have checked that the permissions on the Flash client are
    ok, and they seem to be. I remember on my machine I had to followed some of the
    instructions from
    http://www.onyxservers.com/help/adobe_flash_video_streaming_guide.html - see
    the part titled 'Troubleshooting Tip' - maybe my problem is related to
    something like this - however the 'Troubleshooting Tip' was for when the server
    was on the same machine - the problem I have is with a real remote server.

    It is almost like the Development version of fms is tied to one machine! I
    don't know of any special relationship between my the server and this desktop
    machine, except that this machine is where the .flv files were created.

    I have looked at the apache and tomcat log files - I can see clients coming in
    and grabbing the .html and GETing the html and swt files - but no errors.
    /var/log/messages doesn't have anything but the server being started and
    stopped.
    Also I have looked at all the log files in /opt/adobe/fms/logs, but nothing
    looks like an error.

    What can I do to diagnose this problem?

    thanks - Chris

    murrrph Guest

  7. #7

    Answering my own question, the way to diagnose something that is only running
    on one machine is to stop the server service running on that machine and see if
    the client still works. I had rtmp://localhost/vod2/ProdKPIs.flv in the SWF
    file rather then rtmp://www.strandz.org/vod2/ProdKPIs.flv.

    Two comments. The stream doesn't run to the end on Firefox if you don't have
    the latest Flash plugin. Also IE will crash if you close it down while you are
    on the page - I'm just going to put that down as an IE bug and not loose any
    sleep over it...

    thanks for everyone's help - Chris Murphy (www.strandz.org)

    murrrph Guest