Professional Web Applications Themes

trying to get my computer up again, slightly o.t. - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi. The other night when I was using my computer to surf the internet, it suddenly crashed as usual (under Windows). What wasn't usual was that it actually managed to damage something. Suddenly I had a "bad sector" that was apparently so bad Scandisk couldn't even do anything about it... Since I had done it before recently when my dvd player had stopped working for no reason, (later, it turned out the reason was because i had installed realplayer and it got into a fight with what was already on my system) I was familiar with how to restore the ...

  1. #1

    Default trying to get my computer up again, slightly o.t.

    Hi. The other night when I was using my computer to surf the internet, it
    suddenly crashed as usual (under Windows). What wasn't usual was that it
    actually managed to damage something. Suddenly I had a "bad sector" that
    was apparently so bad Scandisk couldn't even do anything about it...

    Since I had done it before recently when my dvd player had stopped working
    for no reason, (later, it turned out the reason was because i had
    installed realplayer and it got into a fight with what was already on my system)
    I was familiar with how to restore the contents of the hard drive to
    factory condition using the Compaq Quickrestore that came with my
    computer. After sneaking into my hard drive one last time to save a couple
    of critical files, I said goodbye to the rest of it and popped in the
    Quickrestore cds... apparently whatever got f***ed up when my computer
    crashed the other night really got f***ed up good, because the
    Quickrestore program itself hung.

    Here's where I am at now. I like linux, and when I do get this computer
    running again I'd like to never see Windows again. I had Mandrake
    installed on my old computer, just because it was easy to install without
    damaging anything (I already had two partitions on my hard drive because
    that was the way it came from Compaq). This time, since my hard drive
    will be new anyway, I'm not worried about damaging anything and I can repeat
    the installation as many times as I need to to get it right. So, I'm
    thinking about using something more ambitious. Ideally, I would like to be
    able to expand my software easily, (esp for playing chess) so I would like
    to have a distro that has a lot of .rpms available for it - I'm thinking Red
    Hat or SUSE.

    I am intending to buy a new hard drive for my computer, install Linux, and
    hope that it recognizes all of my hardware. I am particularly worried
    about getting it to recognize my dvd player. I have successfully installed
    two different distributions before and they have recognized everything
    except my dvd player, driver, or whatever it is that makes the thing play
    dvds. I have a Compaq Presario 5000 if that helps.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if you need me to clarify
    anything so you can give more specific advice I will try to do that too.

    Thanks!!

    Tom

    Thomas Hartwig Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: trying to get my computer up again, slightly o.t.

    While I wouldn't mind general advice about what distributions are best,
    etc., the immediate problem has been solved. I got a more computer savvy
    friend to take a look at it, and we managed to get everything back up. I
    ended up keeping Windows but with a Linux partition, which is probably
    best because that way I can still use a lot of my old software.

    If you bothered to read my whole saga and were trying to think of some
    advice, sorry, and I really do appreciate the thought anyway. Best wishes,

    Tom

    Thomas Hartwig Guest