Professional Web Applications Themes

turning an XML generated thumbnail into a button thatlaunches a pdf - Macromedia Flash Data Integration

I've used the XML connector to use an xml file to populate a menu>submenu> thumbnail image flash application. Everything works except that I'd like the last step to be that the user clicks on the dynamically generated thumbnail image to open a corresponding pdf. I'm using the Loader component to generate the thumbnail. Essentially, I want to turn that image into a button that launches a pdf. Anyone know how to code and also structure the xml file properly? thanks....

  1. #1

    Default turning an XML generated thumbnail into a button thatlaunches a pdf

    I've used the XML connector to use an xml file to populate a menu>submenu>
    thumbnail image flash application. Everything works except that I'd like the
    last step to be that the user clicks on the dynamically generated thumbnail
    image to open a corresponding pdf. I'm using the Loader component to generate
    the thumbnail. Essentially, I want to turn that image into a button that
    launches a pdf.
    Anyone know how to code and also structure the xml file properly? thanks.

    seejayay Guest

  2. #2

    Hi

    I don't want to rain on your parade, but you will find i'ts much simpler to do
    this in Actionscript rather than using components.
    The Loader component class does not support button states and is therefore
    difficult but not impossible to handle.

    If you have a well defined XML schema then the Actionscript to handle it is
    minimal.

    I will define an example for you.

    The Feldkircher Guest

  3. #3

    Sounds good. Thanks for helping me think this through.

    So, conceivably, I could write Actionscript that, on a click, would direct the
    loader component to launch a pdf of whatever thumbnail was showing. So what
    would the Actionscript be, and how would I integrate with the components that
    generate the thumbnail to ensure the correct pdf was launched? I can bind the
    appropriate pdf to the loader, but it's the actionscript that I'm not sure
    about. Thanks again.

    seejayay Guest

  4. #4

    Hi

    I have completed the example, its entirely written in Actionscript and uses no
    components.
    You can play around with it as much as you like - only Image one loads content
    - thats because I only defined one pdf
    but its easy for you to enter your info into the link variable within
    the xml file.

    All I need now is an email address and I can send you the files.

    The Feldkircher Guest