Professional Web Applications Themes

Turning off the dock completely - Mac Applications & Software

How do I turn off the dock in OS X? I don't want it autohiding, I want it hidden permanently. I don't want it showing up when i mouse over it. Thank you...

  1. #1

    Default Turning off the dock completely

    How do I turn off the dock in OS X? I don't want it autohiding, I
    want it hidden permanently. I don't want it showing up when i mouse
    over it.

    Thank you
    bob Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Turning off the dock completely

    In article <google.com>,
    com (bob) wrote:

    To my knowledge you can't turn it off, you can only hide it.
    Michael

    --
    My email address is ROT-13 encoded. Decode to send email.
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Michael Allbritton <pbz> writes: [/ref]

    See the archives of this discussion which comes up on
    a regular basis here in comp.sys.mac.com

    Start with http://groups.google.com and type in
    "turn off dock completely OS X".

    Now if only all the folks who constantly ask about newsreaders
    would do the same...

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  4. #4

    net writes: [/ref]

    > See the archives of this discussion which comes up on
    > a regular basis here in comp.sys.mac.com[/ref]
    ^^^
    oops. comp.sys.mac.system

    Here - to make life even easier:

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=alvo37047o%40enews2.newsguy.com&rnum=2&p rev=/groups%3Fq%3Dturn%2Boff%2Bdock%2Bcompletely%2BOS%2 BX%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3Dalvo37047o%2540enews2.newsguy.com%26rnu m%3D2>

    Amongst the suggestions:
    use TinkerTool to move the Dock to the _top_ of the screen where it's
    hidden by the menubar.
    move the Dock to the right or left side of the screen where you might
    be less likely to hit it
    Learn to live with it. Learn to love it.
    Oh, and argue endlessly and forth about it.

    It would be nice if there were a way to make it only activate
    on hitting a key or something, especially if one uses any of
    the many excllent alternative ways to switch between and
    launch apps.

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>,
    com (bob) wrote:

    Install TinkerTool (look for it on VersionTracker.com). It'll add a new
    pane to System Preferences. Use it to move the Dock to the top of the
    screen. Set the Dock to auto-hide. It'll then stay hidden even when
    you move the mouse to the top of the screen. If you ever decide you
    need to use the Dock, press command-option-D to show/hide the Dock.
    Wayne Guest

  6. #6

    In <google.com> bob wrote:

    You can't; it's integral to the functioning of the desktop. Your best
    bet is to make it very very tiny; the trick for doing that has been
    covered here, so check the archives. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  7. #7

    Entity bob spoke thus:

    Here's the closest you can get:

    <http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum35&Number=47
    5388>

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious Guest

  8. #8

    bob:

    Ah, a subject near and dear to my heart, as I have ranted at length
    about the dock. Apple may use any terminology they wish, but the fact
    is that the Dock can't be hidden. It lacks a hot corner and keyboard
    activation.

    Here's what I did: Got TinkerTool from
    <http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool2.html>. Told it to put the Dock
    at the top of the display. Removed all removable entries from the Dock.
    Made the Dock as small as possible. Turned on so-called "hiding." It
    still happens that the mouse occasionally gets into the right area to
    cause the Dreaded Dock to pop down (that area being the very bottom of
    the fixed menu bar), but it's not often enough to be nearly as annoying
    as if the dock were at the bottom or either side of the display.

    Then, because I essentially like the functionality of the Dock, I
    purchased DragThing from <http://www.dragthing.com/>. It's a very
    capable Dock substitute with hot-corner activation.

    I once successfully disabled the Dock by renaming Dock.app
    (System/Library/CoreServices) to Sock.app. One can do this from the
    Terminal or by booting in OS 9 if one's system allows that. The only
    problem I noted was that MS Office Notifications -- appointment
    reminders -- didn't work without the Dock running. These reminders are
    important to me, so I resorted to the above method, which is entirely
    acceptable to me.

    If you decide to rename Dock.app you do so at your own risk; I neither
    recommend nor discourage this action.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  9. #9

    Entity Davoud spoke thus:

    I tried it once and Finder wouldn't start, this was back about 10.2.3

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious Guest

  10. #10

    In article <43c9209d4b42215d50592ed38c47bad3TeraNews>, Gnarlodious
    <invalid.> wrote:

    > I tried it once and Finder wouldn't start, this was back about 10.2.3[/ref]

    Finder starts, it's just that you can't click on anything unless Dock
    launches. After Dock launches, you can quit it and Finder wil continue
    working properly, except you can't change the desktop background.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Guest

  11. #11

    In article <290720032124572735%net>, Davoud <net>
    wrote:

    What a MORON! Just because YOU are too STUPID to know how...

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  12. #12

    Entity Jerry Kindall spoke thus:

    Well, there IS Killdock:
    http://madej.ca/killdock/index.php?i=home\

    Only problem with Killdock is that you have to start it on login and click
    on the "Killdock" button, if it could all be automated it would be ideal.

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious Guest