dslreports.com tweaks page recommends that I turn on "selective acks",
but gives only the windows method for doing so.

Also, my machine is apparently not pingable. The site recommends that I
fix that as well.

Can anyone tell me how this is done on the Mac? Here are the system
details:

G3, 366 Mhz

Syst. 9.1

SBC DSL using enternet PPPoE

Speedstream 5100

Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router

Using DHCP

I've noticed that there seems to be a long lag between the time I enter
a url and the time the page suddenly appears (not like my old dialup
connection where the page would take forever just to load). Is this
pretty normal with a DSL connection, or do I need to change some
settings?