Professional Web Applications Themes

Two Airport Cards in PowerBook - Mac Networking

Summary: Can I have two airport cards in a current PowerBook? I want the Apple built-in card for general use, and a PC-Card 802.11 card connected to an external antenna for "extreme range" situations. Other Questions: - I saw a posting saying, "The Aria card runs with Apple's drivers, but you have to boot the OS with the card in place." Can anyone confirm this? - What's involved in switching from one one to the other? What do I open to switch my network from one card to the other? System Prefs -> Network? Context: On a recent vacation, I ...

  1. #1

    Default Two Airport Cards in PowerBook

    the Apple built-in card for general use, and a PC-Card 802.11 card
    connected to an external antenna for "extreme range" situations.

    Other Questions:
    - I saw a posting saying, "The Aria card runs with Apple's drivers,
    but you have to boot the OS with the card in place." Can anyone
    confirm this?
    - What's involved in switching from one one to the other? What do I
    open to switch my network from one card to the other? System Prefs ->
    Network?

    Context: On a recent vacation, I did a little "war-walking" find an
    open access point. My Wintel-equiped pal had better range. With an
    external antenna, I think I could could have seen several access points
    from the privacy of our deck. War-driving with a PowerBook just doesn't
    work.

    TIA!

    -- Sally

    --
    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    com -or- org

  2. #2

    Default Re: Two Airport Cards in PowerBook

    In article <130520042206072550%com>,
    Sally Shears <com> wrote:

    I use an Asante card that uses Apple's drivers. Yes the card has to be
    inserted before boot up. In order to switch you would have to re-boot.
    note: the Asante card works with the built in airport card still
    installed. Some other cards require that you remove the internal airport
    card for them to work properly.

    --

    pep

    pep Guest

  3. #3

    In article <newsfeeds.com>,
    pep <com> wrote:

    > I use an Asante card that uses Apple's drivers. Yes the card has to be
    > inserted before boot up. In order to switch you would have to re-boot.[/ref]

    Really? That's surprising to hear. I would have expected Mac OS X to
    auto-detect connections. It already deals intelligently with having
    both Airport and Ethernet, and switching between them automatically as
    needed. I wonder why having multiple wireless cards can't make use of
    this capability.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.

  4. #4

    In article <tph-EA0452.09100514052004localhost>,
    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    > > I use an Asante card that uses Apple's drivers. Yes the card has to be
    > > inserted before boot up. In order to switch you would have to re-boot.[/ref]
    >
    > Really? That's surprising to hear. I would have expected Mac OS X to
    > auto-detect connections. It already deals intelligently with having
    > both Airport and Ethernet, and switching between them automatically as
    > needed. I wonder why having multiple wireless cards can't make use of
    > this capability.[/ref]

    Tom,
    I am no expert but it appears that OS X loads different drivers if the
    card bus is inserted. You can turn off the power to the card and remove
    it, but if you try to turn airport on after that it indicates that no
    card is installed, even though the internal airport card is there.

    --
    pep

    pep Guest

  5. #5

    Sally,
    Is this OS X?

    I don't think the AirPort driver supports simultaneously-connected cards. If
    you were to remove the AirPort card (not difficult, but a bit of a task) and
    inserted your other-brand wireless PC card in the PCMCIA slot, I think that
    would work.

    If you use a card that is not compatible with AirPort drivers, that would be
    the best solution. The two drivers would recognize only one of the cards.
    That way they both could be installed simultaneously. You could then select
    which one you want to use.

    Yes. Sys Prefs > Network. Pop up the Show menu and select Network Status.
    Currently, you should see only the AirPort driver. Additional drivers you
    install will also show up in that panel. Select one or the other, click the
    Apply Now button at the bottom, and you're using that card.

    I've done this with an AirPort (built-in) and a Lucent WaveLAN wireless PC
    card. Don't know anything about the Aria card.

    (It's not been mentioned here, so... you do know that you can't put an
    AirPort in your PC card slot, or vice versa, don't you?)

    Good luck,
    Dave

    -=-=-=-

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:06:07 -0700, Sally Shears wrote
    (in article <130520042206072550%com>):

    --
    DaveC
    net

    DaveC Guest

  6. #6

    Don't forget to copy your questions to alt.internet.wireless ... I've gained
    much assistance there.

  7. #7

    In article <individual.net>, DaveC
    <net> wrote:

    Yup... 10.3.3... I appreciate you reconfirming the basics.

    Well, I want to be able to switch without opening up the PowerBook.

    This is an interesting suggestion. Which wireless cards are well
    supported but not by Apple's software?

    > Yes. Sys Prefs > Network. Pop up the Show menu and select Network Status.
    > Currently, you should see only the AirPort driver. Additional drivers you
    > install will also show up in that panel. Select one or the other, click the
    > Apply Now button at the bottom, and you're using that card.
    >
    > I've done this with an AirPort (built-in) and a Lucent WaveLAN wireless PC
    > card. Don't know anything about the Aria card.
    >
    > (It's not been mentioned here, so... you do know that you can't put an
    > AirPort in your PC card slot, or vice versa, don't you?)[/ref]

    Yup... An Apple Airport card does NOT go in the PC-card slot.

    -- Sally

    --
    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    com -or- org

  8. #8

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 09:30:31 -0700, Sally Shears wrote
    (in article <150520041230313985%com>):

    I'm using the open-source driver from SourceForge to drive a Lucent WaveLAN
    (a.k.a. Orinoco) Silver 802.11b card. Download the driver installer and read
    the FAQ. It lists all of the cards that the driver works with; it is a
    considerable list:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/wirelessdriver/

    Good luck,

  9. #9

    Read a little about some folk's experience with this driver:

    http://tinyurl.com/397dt