Professional Web Applications Themes

Two macs using the same phone line - Mac Networking

We have an ethernet LAN of two macs running OS 8.6 set up in distant rooms. They each have their own modem, but they use the same phone line for dialup internet. If A tries to dial while B is connected, we would expect A to get a busy signal and its call simply to abort with a message from Remote Access. But this has never worked. What regularly happens is that B gets disconnected and A usually fails to connect. I have been trying to do two very simple things: 1/ check that the other mac does not have ...

  1. #1

    Default Two macs using the same phone line


    We have an ethernet LAN of two macs running OS 8.6 set up in distant
    rooms. They each have their own modem, but they use the same phone line
    for dialup internet.

    If A tries to dial while B is connected, we would expect A to get a busy
    signal and its call simply to abort with a message from Remote Access.
    But this has never worked. What regularly happens is that B gets
    disconnected and A usually fails to connect.

    I have been trying to do two very simple things: 1/ check that the other
    mac does not have an active ppp connection before dialing myself. 2/ If
    all is clear, set up some sort of lock with a warning message on the
    other machine for the duration of my own phone connection.

    I thought a couple of rather straightforward applescripts should be able
    to accomplish that. But I am not getting anywhere.

    Thanks in advance for any help.


    --
    John
    John Wain Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Two macs using the same phone line

    John Wain <johndisneyland.com> wrote:
    > We have an ethernet LAN of two macs running OS 8.6 set up in distant
    > rooms. They each have their own modem, but they use the same phone line
    > for dialup internet.
    >
    > If A tries to dial while B is connected, we would expect A to get a busy
    > signal and its call simply to abort with a message from Remote Access.
    That's not what you should expect at all. Pretend you're talking about
    a voice line instead. Person B is on the phone already. Person A picks
    up another phone and doesn't even dial, hearing that the phone is
    already in use. If person A tries to dial anyway, he doesn't get a busy
    signal, because the call can't go through at all.

    You're in the ogous situation with the modems. It sounds like the
    Modem control panel is set to ignore dial tone. (Or is this in Remote
    Access? I'm running OS X right now and these control panels aren't
    supported in Classic.) If you change it to NOT ignore dial tone, when B
    is using the phone line, A won't get a dial tone, won't attempt to dial,
    and B's connection will be maintained.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com> Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
    <http://bogart-tribute.net> Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Two macs using the same phone line

    In article <1g0vpyd.b2ge4buzaarqN%johndisneyland.com>,
    [email]johndisneyland.com[/email] (John Wain) wrote:
    > We have an ethernet LAN of two macs running OS 8.6 set up in distant
    > rooms. They each have their own modem, but they use the same phone line
    > for dialup internet.
    >
    > If A tries to dial while B is connected, we would expect A to get a busy
    > signal and its call simply to abort with a message from Remote Access.
    > But this has never worked. What regularly happens is that B gets
    > disconnected and A usually fails to connect.
    >
    > I have been trying to do two very simple things: 1/ check that the other
    > mac does not have an active ppp connection before dialing myself. 2/ If
    > all is clear, set up some sort of lock with a warning message on the
    > other machine for the duration of my own phone connection.
    >
    > I thought a couple of rather straightforward applescripts should be able
    > to accomplish that. But I am not getting anywhere.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    As another reply has said, check the modem control panel to see if
    "Ignore Dial Tone" has been set.

    Another more expensive option is to get an Airport base station with a
    modem, upgrade one of the Macs to a version of Mac OS that supports the
    Airport base stations admin software, and then get the Airport base
    station to dial your ISP, and share the same dial-up connection with
    both Macs on the ethernet. I did this with my Wife for about a year
    before we got a DSL connection (and I still use the Airport to share the
    connection, I just don't need the modem part :-)

    Yes the wireless functions would be unused. And yes the Airport base
    station with a modem is an expensive modem and router combination even
    if you are doing wireless, but it would work. You could use an original
    Graphite, a 2nd generation Snow, or the current Extreme Airport base
    stations.

    If the idea sounds appealing, but you do not want to spend that much
    and/or you do not want to upgrade one of the Macs to a newer Mac OS,
    then you could consider getting a 3rd party Cable/DSL router. Find one
    that allows you to connect up a PC modem as an alternate network
    connection (I have a D-Link that allows that; may be some of the other
    do as well - LinkSys, Netgear, D-Link, ...). You should be able to pick
    up one of these routers for something like $50 (maybe a lot less with
    rebates). Try looking for one on <dealmac.com>. I've seen generic
    CompUSA 56K modems for under $100 (I forget how much under).

    You would then use a web browser to configure the router to dial up your
    ISP, and then have the router share the connection with all the Macs in
    the house.

    This would work fairly well unless one of you decided to download a
    several megabyte file(s). Then they would tend to hog the connection.
    But for just browsing the web, email, etc... sharing a single 56K line
    is possible and not too much of a performance hit for both users.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Harris Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Two macs using the same phone line

    In article <1g0vpyd.b2ge4buzaarqN%johndisneyland.com>,
    [email]johndisneyland.com[/email] (John Wain) wrote:
    > We have an ethernet LAN of two macs running OS 8.6 set up in distant
    > rooms. They each have their own modem, but they use the same phone line
    > for dialup internet.
    >
    > If A tries to dial while B is connected, we would expect A to get a busy
    > signal and its call simply to abort with a message from Remote Access.
    > But this has never worked. What regularly happens is that B gets
    > disconnected and A usually fails to connect.
    >
    > I have been trying to do two very simple things: 1/ check that the other
    > mac does not have an active ppp connection before dialing myself. 2/ If
    > all is clear, set up some sort of lock with a warning message on the
    > other machine for the duration of my own phone connection.
    >
    > I thought a couple of rather straightforward applescripts should be able
    > to accomplish that. But I am not getting anywhere.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    Are both machines capable of using an airport card? If so, get an
    airport base station with a built-in modem and use it to share a single
    dialup connection with both computers.

    Alternately, if you can install 10.2 on one of them, it can share the
    dialup connection with the other one.

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> onepost <dot> net
    Personal: [url]http://www.mc-development.com/[/url]
    Mac News: [url]http://www.macmegasite.com/[/url]
    Mike Cohen Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Two macs using the same phone line

    Mike Rosenberg <mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote:
    > John Wain <johndisneyland.com> wrote:
    > > If A tries to dial while B is connected, we would expect A to get a busy
    > > signal and its call simply to abort with a message from Remote Access.
    >
    > That's not what you should expect at all. Pretend you're talking about
    > a voice line instead. Person B is on the phone already. Person A picks
    > up another phone and doesn't even dial, hearing that the phone is
    > already in use. If person A tries to dial anyway, he doesn't get a busy
    > signal, because the call can't go through at all.
    Yes, of course. Silly me!
    > It sounds like the
    > Modem control panel is set to ignore dial tone. (Or is this in Remote
    > Access? I'm running OS X right now and these control panels aren't
    > supported in Classic.) If you change it to NOT ignore dial tone, when
    > B is using the phone line, A won't get a dial tone, won't attempt to dial,
    > and B's connection will be maintained.
    It's true that ONE of the dialers was set to ignore dial tone. I
    suddenly remembered that we had to set it that way because that modem
    did not recognise our line's dial tone. Since then the line quality
    having changed as far as other experiences tell me, I might be able to
    revert to the default setting.

    However, the problem of interrupting the ongoing communication occurs on
    both machines. It seems that just listening for the tone is enough to
    trip the other modem, just as is often the case if someone picks up an
    extension handpiece.

    Now there is a secondary problem. Suppose A wants to dial while B is
    already on line, and all goes as it should: no dial tone. I haven't done
    extensive testing of this on system 8.6 (which is the one used on my
    LAN), but I seem to recall Remote Access hanging forever on some
    occasions, probably waiting for a tone. And when this happened I
    actually had to crash the machine to get out of Remote Access.

    This behaviour is in any case what I get on my 3rd machine (ibook not
    networked running OS 9.2.2). I think the whole communication software in
    9.2.2 is buggy. RA worked every other blue moon when I tried to dial for
    internet, until I imagine the kludge of sending a whole string of AT
    commands to the modem each time I get RA to dial. (No problem at all
    with the modem when I am booted in system X.) Before that, when RA
    failed to dial there was no way of regaining control apart from a hard
    reset of the machine.

    Now I would very much like to know if there is a way to set a timeout on
    RA itself.


    --
    John
    John Wain Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: Two macs using the same phone line

    Bob Harris <harriszk3.dec.com> wrote:
    > Another more expensive option is to get an Airport base station with a
    > modem, upgrade one of the Macs to a version of Mac OS that supports the
    > Airport base stations admin software, and then get the Airport base
    > station to dial your ISP, and share the same dial-up connection with
    > both Macs on the ethernet.
    Yes, a neat solution, but I'm afraid that's beyond our means for now.
    > If the idea sounds appealing, but you do not want to spend that much
    > and/or you do not want to upgrade one of the Macs to a newer Mac OS,
    > then you could consider getting a 3rd party Cable/DSL router. Find one
    > that allows you to connect up a PC modem as an alternate network
    > connection (I have a D-Link that allows that; may be some of the other
    > do as well - LinkSys, Netgear, D-Link, ...). You should be able to pick
    > up one of these routers for something like $50 (maybe a lot less with
    > rebates). Try looking for one on <dealmac.com>. I've seen generic
    > CompUSA 56K modems for under $100 (I forget how much under).
    >
    > You would then use a web browser to configure the router to dial up your
    > ISP, and then have the router share the connection with all the Macs in
    > the house.
    Thanks Bob. This sounds like an interesting idea.


    --
    John
    John Wain Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: Two macs using the same phone line

    I think electronic supply places may have a small physical devise to
    plug in that locks out other phone access.


    r.






    In article <1g11asr.1ohdhpl1ywpjoaN%johndisneyland.com>,
    [email]johndisneyland.com[/email] (John Wain) wrote:
    > Mike Rosenberg <mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > John Wain <johndisneyland.com> wrote:
    >
    > > > If A tries to dial while B is connected, we would expect A to get a busy
    > > > signal and its call simply to abort with a message from Remote Access.
    > >
    > > That's not what you should expect at all. Pretend you're talking about
    > > a voice line instead. Person B is on the phone already. Person A picks
    > > up another phone and doesn't even dial, hearing that the phone is
    > > already in use. If person A tries to dial anyway, he doesn't get a busy
    > > signal, because the call can't go through at all.
    >
    > Yes, of course. Silly me!
    >
    > > It sounds like the
    > > Modem control panel is set to ignore dial tone. (Or is this in Remote
    > > Access? I'm running OS X right now and these control panels aren't
    > > supported in Classic.) If you change it to NOT ignore dial tone, when
    > > B is using the phone line, A won't get a dial tone, won't attempt to dial,
    > > and B's connection will be maintained.
    >
    > It's true that ONE of the dialers was set to ignore dial tone. I
    > suddenly remembered that we had to set it that way because that modem
    > did not recognise our line's dial tone. Since then the line quality
    > having changed as far as other experiences tell me, I might be able to
    > revert to the default setting.
    >
    > However, the problem of interrupting the ongoing communication occurs on
    > both machines. It seems that just listening for the tone is enough to
    > trip the other modem, just as is often the case if someone picks up an
    > extension handpiece.
    >
    > Now there is a secondary problem. Suppose A wants to dial while B is
    > already on line, and all goes as it should: no dial tone. I haven't done
    > extensive testing of this on system 8.6 (which is the one used on my
    > LAN), but I seem to recall Remote Access hanging forever on some
    > occasions, probably waiting for a tone. And when this happened I
    > actually had to crash the machine to get out of Remote Access.
    >
    > This behaviour is in any case what I get on my 3rd machine (ibook not
    > networked running OS 9.2.2). I think the whole communication software in
    > 9.2.2 is buggy. RA worked every other blue moon when I tried to dial for
    > internet, until I imagine the kludge of sending a whole string of AT
    > commands to the modem each time I get RA to dial. (No problem at all
    > with the modem when I am booted in system X.) Before that, when RA
    > failed to dial there was no way of regaining control apart from a hard
    > reset of the machine.
    >
    > Now I would very much like to know if there is a way to set a timeout on
    > RA itself.
    --

    X-No-/Archive: yes
    dangdangdoodle Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: Two macs using the same phone line

    In article <noteathanks-F9BBCC.01230220092003news.islandnet.com>,
    dangdangdoodle <noteathanksislandnet.com> wrote:
    > In article <1g11asr.1ohdhpl1ywpjoaN%johndisneyland.com>,
    > [email]johndisneyland.com[/email] (John Wain) wrote:
    ....
    > > However, the problem of interrupting the ongoing communication
    > > occurs on both machines. It seems that just listening for the tone
    > > is enough to trip the other modem, just as is often the case if
    > > someone picks up an extension handpiece.
    ....
    > I think electronic supply places may have a small physical devise to
    > plug in that locks out other phone access.
    They do. It's a small electronic gadget called a busy line switch or
    blocker. Any store that sells phones will probably have them.

    I bought one years ago. It connects to a phone and prevents anyone from
    using that phone if the line is already being used by another phone or
    modem elsewhere in the house. It has an override button, so if someone
    yells up the stairs that I'm wanted on the phone, I can take the call
    upstairs instead of running downstairs.

    You need one for each location that's to be blocked. For example, if
    you have 2 modems and 3 phones in 5 different rooms of the house, and
    want all of them to be blocked when one of them is using the line,
    you'll need 5 busy line blockers.
    Wayne C. Morris Guest

Similar Threads

  1. check the state of phone line:IDLE or BUSY
    By liuxingyufei in forum Macromedia Flash Flashcom
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 1st, 07:43 AM
  2. Macs and PCs
    By djm79 webforumsuser@macromedia.com in forum Macromedia Director Basics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 7th, 09:35 PM
  3. Video Phone for older Macs?
    By amiga500 in forum Mac Applications & Software
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 20th, 02:09 PM
  4. DSL vs. 2nd Phone Line
    By hatesdialup in forum Windows Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 9th, 01:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139