Professional Web Applications Themes

Two monitors for Photoshop - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I use a 19" flat panel monitor for my computer work which is fine normaly until I start using Photoshop for detailed work then it gats a bit cramped even though I have reduced my pallettes to the minimuim. I have read somewhere about someone using a 15" monitor as a second monitor and set up the palletes and toolbar on that display. Is this possible and easy to do? Mark...

  1. #1

    Default Two monitors for Photoshop

    Mark_Cawte@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Two monitors for Photoshop

    Very easy. I am very happy with this setup, all palettes are on the 15 incher to my right.
    <http://www.matrox.com/mga/multidisplay/home.cfm>
    Norbert_Bissinger@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Mark,

    You could always just press the Tab key if the pallets are your only concern. Having 2 or more monitors is always nice though. You have so many more options with more monitors. You can have a zoomed view on one screen and display the entire canvas on another. See and use multiple applications at once.
    Photo_Help@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Piece of cake. Two monitors are like a broadband internet connection.
    Once you have it, you'd never go back.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I use a second monitor with my laptop. I used to PS just on the laptop which was like viewing through fog! I just had to use a second monitor at first, only to be able to see proper colours. But now the benefits of having your image window on its own - it's just great!

    Martin
    Martin_Coleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Me too Martin- I have a nice colour cabibrated monitor which I use in the office. However I do like the laptop flat screen for other work.

    Mark, I'm using XP and it sees to be built in that you can use 2 monitors (that right dave m?) but I'm not sure with other OSs. I think then it depends on your graphics card.
    Helen_Polson@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    mark, very easy, especially if you have a seperate monitor already laying around. get a cheap graphics card (i got a $20 no name n-vida pci card) and install it. not sure about your os, but windows xp picks it right up and loads the drivers and off you go.
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Mark,
    Working on two monitors is the only way to go. You will never be sorry. I started with a 17” & a 15”. Next a 19” & 15”. Went to 19” & 17”. Finally two 19’s and I love it. The following is just a recommendation but something which I think you may want to consider. While most people with two monitors seem to believe that the video card really doesn’t matter much I disagree, somewhat. I have found that when working with certain filters and styles that it pays to have a reasonably fast card as it “rewrites” the screen faster. It (they) don’t have to be high priced, but I’d recommend card(s) in the middle price range. Or slightly below. Trust me, you will end up with something larger than the 15 inch…
    Q_Photo@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    true qp (card price) but if all you're doing in ps is popping your palettes on the second card then it's not a big deal. are you able to get a pic open on each one? only way i can do that is to extend the app across both desktops and I find that annoying (when using the menu's and option bar, etc.). I keep ps open on the main monitor (21" nokia crt) and use the 15" nec lcd for palettes and the tool bar.

    how do you do it? maybe there's a better way!

    dave
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Dave M,

    This is my dual monitor setup. Main 19” directly in front of me and the second set to the right side. Every time I open Photoshop I do have to drag the right side of window to the 2nd monitor. This takes only a second to do and now is second nature to me. That is the only thing that I need to do because I have my own “work space” set so my palettes are always in the same location. That is to the extreme right on the 2nd monitor. The palettes take up about ¼ of the area of that monitor. At times a little more. The rest of the space (2nd monitor) I use to see a second window of the photo that I’m working on. This is usually at 50% to 100% percent. This gives me a good vision of what my edits are actually doing to the photo. On the main monitor I have a window of the same photo but at much larger size. Maybe 200% to 300%, or more. This is great when using tools like lasso or erasure.
    Concerning options bar: I keep it at bottom of window, directly above status bar. The status bar contains my most used palettes. I have both monitors at 1280 x 1024 so my options and status bars now extend all the way across both monitors. When I used a smaller second monitor these bars were set the same way but of course you could not see them on the 2nd monitor because the resolution was lower on it. That was when I bit the bullet and bought the second 19 inch.
    And Dave, I’m envious of your 21” monitor. At the same time I must say that the setup of two 19” monitors is ideal for me. It serves my purpose well, fits into my limited space, and my even more limited wallet.
    Also, thanks for backing me on the subject of video cards. Before I got better cards it would drive me nuts to sit and wait those few seconds for the screen rewrite. I think very good cards can be had today for a very reasonable price.
    Q_Photo@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I think very good cards can be had today for a very reasonable price.

    that's true. Thanks for describing your setup. I'm going to have to try monitor spanning again.

    thanks, dave
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    hmm... ok that is interesting. i'm going to leave it like that for a few days to see if it "grows" on me. dual 1280x1024, palletes to far right. snapping the option bar to the bottom is especially interesting. definately has possibilities. the nvida dual display sw adds a maximize to both desktop button all apps to so it makes it easy to spread it across both monitors. pretty cool.

    thanks again!
    dave
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Dave M,

    Glad to be of some help with suggestions concerning dual monitors. No doubt you will find the exact layout of palettes and so-forth to fit your needs. It gives me a good feeling to assist someone in the forum after all the info I have gained in the last few of years from you and so many of the “regulars”. I owe many of you a big thank you. I never posted any questions, just went to forum and started reading.

    This forum a truly great service that Adobe provides to us. I think that in many cases it is under appreciated. Photoshop is an extremely useful and creative program. Perfect? no. But, damn near. I’m a photographer and, now get this; I can have two photographs of a bride. In one photo the pose, gown, smile are all perfect. BUT, her eyes are closed. Second photo no smile, poor pose, eyes open. I can actually combine the open eyes into the better photograph. Seriously, is that cool or what? After nearly five years of working in Photoshop I still am amazed by it. Can you tell?
    Q_Photo@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    No problem q. you're very welcome, and thank you for the monitor tips.

    It gives me a good feeling to assist someone in the forum after all the
    info I have gained in the last few of years from you and so many of the
    “regulars”

    I know exactly how you feel. I lurked here for about 6 mos. before I gained the courage to start answering questions. It's a good feeling. This is indeed one of the best places to learn PS on the net. So many pros. I feel privaliged to be able to answer when I can. My main expertise is in HW/SW/OS (I'm a programmer) and I enjoy helping out where I can. I knew next to nothing about REALLY using PS until the pros here showed me the light. Now I know HOW to use it... I'm just not that good at it! :) (And BTW, I didn't see the "Talent" filter on the list of improvements for PS CS! What's up with that?!!)
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    And BTW, I didn't see the "Talent" filter on the list of improvements
    for PS CS! What's up with that?!!)

    It didn't make the cut. We tried hard but too many beta testers found it difficult to use :-)
    Ian_Lyons@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    We tried hard but too many beta testers found it difficult to use

    <Charlie Brown>
    UGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!
    </Charlie Brown>
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest