Professional Web Applications Themes

Two network name resolution failures in OS X: could they be related? - Mac Networking

I have a mixed LAN: Win2K, WinXP and OS X; wireless and wired. No domain server -- workgroup only. The WAP/Router is an AirPort Extreme. The OS X client has two name resolution failures. 1. It can't see the name of the AirPort Extreme base station. I have to address it by IP address. 2. Remote Desktop Client (Microsoft) can't resolve a target machine based on machine name, I have to use the IP address. On the other hand, the OS X machine CAN resolve shares using smb names. Changing users on the OS X machine doesn't affect the behavior, ...

  1. #1

    Default Two network name resolution failures in OS X: could they be related?

    I have a mixed LAN: Win2K, WinXP and OS X; wireless and wired. No
    domain server -- workgroup only. The WAP/Router is an AirPort Extreme.

    The OS X client has two name resolution failures.

    1. It can't see the name of the AirPort Extreme base station. I have
    to address it by IP address.
    2. Remote Desktop Client (Microsoft) can't resolve a target machine
    based on machine name, I have to use the IP address.

    On the other hand, the OS X machine CAN resolve shares using smb
    names.

    Changing users on the OS X machine doesn't affect the behavior, so I
    don't think it's a preferences problem. I've repaired privileges on
    the OS X machine.

    All drivers, ROM, software are at the latest versions. I don't use the
    OS X firewall, though I've experimented with it in the past.

    I suspect something is broken deep in the bowels of my OS X client.
    Something that's important for name resolution.

    Other than reinstalling OS X from scratch (which I may yet do), does
    anyone have any tips, hints, places to look, experiments to try, etc?
    Thanks!

    Thanks,

    john
    [email]jfaughnanspamcop.net[/email]

    meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, MacOS X, OS X, Apple, iBook, network,
    LAN, WAP, wireless, wired, ethernet, name resolution, networking,
    030928
    John Faughnan Guest

  2. #2

    Default AirPort Extreme base station name not show in AirPort Admin Utility: Fixed.

    [email]jfaughnanspamcop.net[/email] (John Faughnan) wrote in message news:<5c0dbfb4.0309270953.1487f6daposting.google. com>...
    > 1. It can't see the name of the AirPort Extreme base station. I have
    > to address it by IP address.
    That problem has been resolved. For about 6 months when I open the
    AirPort Admin Utility my AirPort Extreme did not display; the list of
    AirPort's was empty. I had to use an IP address to configure it.

    I did two things. Not sure which worked or if it was both together.

    First, I'd turned off the AirPort option of ad hoc networks
    (Rendezvous). I turned that back on and restarted.

    Second, I used the AirPort admin utility to rename my AirPort.
    Previously the AirPort had the same name as the wireless network --
    both were "faughnan". I changed the AirPort name to something else.

    After the name change the AirPort shows up again. It may have been an
    effect of two different issues interacting.

    john
    [email]jfaughnanspamcop.net[/email]
    > meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, MacOS X, OS X, Apple, iBook, network,
    > LAN, WAP, wireless, wired, ethernet, name resolution, networking,
    > 030928
    John Faughnan Guest

  3. #3

    [email]jfaughnanspamcop.net[/email] (John Faughnan) wrote in message news:<5c0dbfb4.0309270953.1487f6daposting.google. com>...
    > I have a mixed LAN: Win2K, WinXP and OS X; wireless and wired. No
    > domain server -- workgroup only. The WAP/Router is an AirPort Extreme.
    >
    > The OS X client has two name resolution failures.
    >
    > 1. It can't see the name of the AirPort Extreme base station. I have
    > to address it by IP address.
    > 2. Remote Desktop Client (Microsoft) can't resolve a target machine
    > based on machine name, I have to use the IP address.
    It turns out the two problems had independent causes. Problem #2 was
    solved as discussed elsewhere (search google on jfaughan and AirPort
    Extreme).

    To debug #1 I studied a few good (non-Microsoft) pages on NetBIOS
    CIFS/SMB browse masters. I learned, and can affirm from testing, that
    a Windows machine will only try to be a browse master IF and ONLY IF
    it has a non-administrative share. So even if it has file sharing
    turned on, if nothing is being shared (save the admin shares), it will
    not be a browse master! Also, it appears XP Pro and Win2K Pro have
    exactly the same browse master priority. I also learned that
    browstat.exe, a utility that comes with the Win2K resource kit (you
    can download it from Microsoft somewhere, you don't have to buy it) is
    the way to diagnose browse master issues.

    Testing with browstat.exe convinced me that browse mastering is
    working as well as it ever works -- at least on my LAN.

    I think the name resolution problem with Windows Remote Desktop Client
    may simply be that it's NOT a NetBIOS based software utility. It works
    with IP addresses or DNS names. Since I don't have a DNS running on my
    home LAN, it will only reach local machines via IP. I'll have to give
    my WinXP Pro machine a fixed IP. Too bad AirPort Extreme routers don't
    support fixed IP assignment, but I'll do it the old fashioned way.

    john
    [email]jfaughnanspamcop.net[/email]

    meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, os x, networking, apple, name resolution,
    IP address, DHCP, smb, windows, microsoft, remote desktop, broadcast,
    name resolution , DNS, domain name server, NetBIOS, CIFS, SMB
    John Faughnan Guest