Professional Web Applications Themes

Two Problems Encountered - Macromedia Fireworks

I cannot get the Fireworks to load in Adobe plugins, textures or patterns - all three give the same error message . "An internal error occurred" "An internal error occurred" Twice, as if to emphasize that it was not going to work. So I went to get the the new updater... but when I tried to update my copy of Fireworks I get the error message: "The file Fireworks.exe is not a valid version" and the updater stops dead in its tracks. Does this soiund like Catch 22 ? Get the update; but when you get the update it refuses ...

  1. #1

    Default Two Problems Encountered

    I cannot get the Fireworks to load in Adobe plugins, textures or patterns - all three give the same error message .

    "An internal error occurred"
    "An internal error occurred"

    Twice, as if to emphasize that it was not going to work. So I went to get the the new updater... but
    when I tried to update my copy of Fireworks I get the error message:

    "The file Fireworks.exe is not a valid version"

    and the updater stops dead in its tracks. Does this soiund like Catch 22 ? Get the update; but when you get the update it refuses to do so ?

    Anybody have similar problems ?

    Now for all you Mac-philes, yes it is Windows 2000 sp4 (I am holding out for a Linux version of Studio Mx... somebody is going to clean up when commercial software gets to Linux... oops what happened to Corel... oops what happened to Borlands Kylix.... oops what happened to <= you can easily fill in the blanks dozens of times)

    Any suggested workarounds ??

    jbsurv Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Two Problems Encountered

    Interesting errors you're seeing, there are some similarities to mine as my issue relates to me not even being able to open Fireworks (Mac OSX 10.3.2 Panther). I've kept Photoshop Elements becuase I'm more familiar with image manipulation with that tool than Fireworks but potentially would move it off. After your comments, I'm thinking that perhaps there may be some compatibility issues with Adobe & Macromedia - not sure.

    Anyone have more info???

    Jim Guest

  3. #3

    Are you using the trial version? The update patch will not install on the
    trial, as far as I know. At least it wouldn't for me.

    "jbsurv" <com> wrote in message
    patterns - all three give the same error message .
    the the new updater... but

  4. #4

    Default PProblem is festering; client is becoming unforgiving

    Sorry to say but this problem is festering and the client is NOT understanding.
    I have a DEVNET license and I have tried completely wiping Fireworks MX2004 off my machine and completely re-installing. No Luck.

    Edit | Preferences | Folders | Browse for Adobe Plugins

    Still produces message:

    An internal error occurred.
    An internal error occurred.

    Since nobody else has reported this problem I then assumed that the problem might be with my Windows 2000 installation - perhaps a critical but seldom used DLL got corrupted. So I downloaded SP4 update ... and literally a day later got the system back up and working. Tried Fireworks and got -

    An internal error occurred.
    An internal error occurred.

    Now I used to work for a software company and when we got a user reporting an error message like this (where the program was admitting it had reached a critical interna errorl)we reacted pretty quickly. Unfortunately - the same cannot be said for Macromedia support which leads me to one of 3 conclusions:

    1)Indeed this is rara buggae - one of those rare bugs that nobody wants to take on;
    2)Fireworks support is swamped with bigger roaches;
    3)Macromedia needs more from me - nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean, know what I mean...

    Fireworks is a pretty darn good product but the support .... hmmmmm, not so good

    I know this is only a sample of one; but from my experience here are some conclusions::

    Like its doentation, Macromedia's support has gone largely electronic. But I still have no fairly reliable means of finding out whether or not this is a previously encountered bug or not. Also the "rules of engagement" for getting bugs fixed is not well spelled out. Finally, when a program admits it is failing you would think those who sold and support that program would get on the problem right away.

    jbsurv Guest

  5. #5

    "jbsurv" com wrote:

    What is the exact file version of the Fireworks.exe executable you are
    using? To find out, go to the Fireworks install folder (typically
    c:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks MX 2004\) and right click on the
    Fireworks.exe file and choose Properties. In there select the Version
    tab. My version is patched and reads 7.0.1.293 (the last 3 numbers are
    the important ones). The unpatched version was 7.0.287 or 288 if memory
    serves but I'm not sure. It should be in that range anyway.

    The reason I ask isthat, I have seen the error you mention but that was
    while using an early beta build. The problem was fixed in the next build
    and I never saw it again. I run Fireworks on both a Win 2K SP4 machine
    like you and on my home machine running XP Pro SP1 and I have not
    encountered that error with the final release version (patched to 7.0.1
    or unpatched). I have a boxed version of Studio MX 2004 Professional
    though, not a Devnet subscription. Maybe you could check if you could
    re-download the Fireworks installer from your subscription and see if it
    helps at all. This error you are getting is not a common one.

    I think it is indeed a rare bug. I think Macromedia reacted rather
    quickly for this release cycle by releasing patches for both Flash and
    Fireworks very early on. The fact that the updater doesn't recognize
    your version as a valid one is what makes me guess that you may have
    downloaded an earlier build through your DevNet sub than the one that
    was released to the general public. It's a wild guess but worth checking
    out I think.

    I agree with you that Macromedia is not the most forthcoming sortware
    company when it comes to releasing free bug fix point updates but, they
    did release fixes for at least two of the Studio products this time and
    I believe that their Emerging Issues technotes are a first for them.
    I've never seen them acknowledge known issues with their products so
    openly and so early in a product cycle. I haven't read it in a while but
    you may want to read the one for Fireworks if you haven't already. Your
    issue might be covered there.

    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/ts/doents/emerging_issues.htm

    Hopefully, a Macromedia rep will address those concerns but I wouldn't
    hold my breath. Since Mark Haynes was let go, we seldom hear from
    Macromedia reps in here anymore.

    Stéphane Bergeron

    Stéphane Guest

  6. #6

    I would have to agree with you. While I'm not encountering the same issue necessarily, I'm also not on Windows but as a recent convert to Mac, I'm finding that the same problems plague both Windows and Mac users alike. Poor doentation, lousy technical support and limited experience to share on forums provides little support for users of their products. Frankly I'm very surprised at the rave reviews of Studio that I recently read in many of the Mac trade rags as well as on the net, all proclaiming the how great the product is. While the product may have great features, I'd love to get to a point where I can use them. I had a choice, Macromedia or Adobe, I wish I'd chosen Adobe at this point. I also had options which I won't go into but wanted to be fully legal as I wanted to ensure I had support for my new product so I shelled out almost a grand ffor the product and then find they still want $200 per incident on top of that for support. Unbelievable!

    If I ever get to the point of talking to someone with a bit of authority at Macromedia, I'm going to demand my money back and start over!

    Jim Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Default Straight talk

    Removed by Administrator