Professional Web Applications Themes

Two simple questions... with reagrd to PHP and MySQL - PHP Development

Hi, TIA... 1) Need to select all rows from table called fixtures where home_team and away_team is equal to team_code. What SQL select statement would do this? 2) I have a variable called fixture_date in the format dd-MMM-yy (i.e. 02-Mar-05) how do I select the day/month/year into thier own variables using PHP? Thanks Andy Mak...

  1. #1

    Default Two simple questions... with reagrd to PHP and MySQL

    Hi,

    TIA...

    1) Need to select all rows from table called fixtures where home_team and
    away_team is equal to team_code. What SQL select statement would do this?

    2) I have a variable called fixture_date in the format dd-MMM-yy (i.e.
    02-Mar-05) how do I select the day/month/year into thier own variables using
    PHP?

    Thanks
    Andy Mak

    Domestos Guest

  2. #2

    Domestos wrote:

    What about reading SQL basics?

    SELECT * FROM fixture WHERE away_team=team_code OR home_team=team_code

    Have a look at strtotime() in the php manual.

    Regards
    Stefan

    Stefan Guest

  3. #3

    > What about reading SQL basics?

    Reasons why i prefer to ask in here...

    1) I get an answer to my question in minutes, you guys are great.
    2) I don;t have to search around the internet spending time reading pages
    upon pages that mean nothing to me to find a minute bit of detail spending
    30 minutes
    3) After trying the example on the web page they either don't work or have
    missing/non understandable code in them
    4) Which takes me back to asking the question in here but 30 minutes down
    the line
    5) 'cos you love helping people else you wouldn't answer my questions :)

    Thanks

    Andy Mak

    Domestos Guest

  4. #4

    | Reasons why i prefer to ask in here...
    |
    | 1) I get an answer to my question in minutes, you guys are great.
    | 2) I don;t have to search around the internet spending time reading pages
    | upon pages that mean nothing to me to find a minute bit of detail spending
    | 30 minutes
    | 3) After trying the example on the web page they either don't work or have
    | missing/non understandable code in them
    | 4) Which takes me back to asking the question in here but 30 minutes down
    | the line
    | 5) 'cos you love helping people else you wouldn't answer my questions :)

    reasons why you won't get a response or will be plonked...

    1. asking questions one is obviously too lazy to rtfm to answer.
    2. wasting everyone's time asking noob questions when the answer is *IN* the
    gdfm instead of rtfm in the first place.
    3. referring to "examples" that don't work without a reference either to it
    or posting one's OWN non-functional code so we can clear up ONE's inability
    to understand it. (my suspicion being that the fault is yours and NOT any
    other code to which you refer!).
    4. insisting that asking noob questions w/o first trying to resolve an issue
    one's self is the BEST way to get an answer or solution to a problem.
    5. 'cos one believes a response to said question(s) was aimed at HELPING one
    out of one's dilemma RATHER THAN taking it - as the rest of us do - as a
    blatant insult to the POSTER in the solution's OBVIOUS simplicity!

    your assumptions are grossly inaccurate and illogical...which are wholly
    what software developers LOATH !!!

    RTFM !!!

    steve Guest

  5. #5

    the
    it
    inability
    issue
    one

    Steve,

    when one is a novice and is trying to get the job done in the least amount
    of time without having to wade through pages and pages of crap and unrelated
    muck that google chucks up is that not a better use of ones time?

    Thanks
    Andy Mak

    Domestos Guest

  6. #6

    I found the tutorial on the mysql site a very worthwhile half an hour

    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/tutorial.html

    petermichaux@yahoo.com Guest

  7. #7

    <com> wrote in message

    Now you see - that is what I am after - but i'm just to lazy and crap at
    searching to find somthing like that...

    Andy Mak

    Domestos Guest

  8. #8

    hmmmm...php.net; mysql.com.

    hardly a vision quest, now is it!

    if they hired you to do this quick/dirty program, they've obviously failed
    before you began to work on it.

    but that discussion is for another day.

    "Domestos" <net> wrote in message

    | > reasons why you won't get a response or will be plonked...
    | >
    | > 1. asking questions one is obviously too lazy to rtfm to answer.
    | > 2. wasting everyone's time asking noob questions when the answer is *IN*
    | the
    | > gdfm instead of rtfm in the first place.
    | > 3. referring to "examples" that don't work without a reference either to
    | it
    | > or posting one's OWN non-functional code so we can clear up ONE's
    | inability
    | > to understand it. (my suspicion being that the fault is yours and NOT
    any
    | > other code to which you refer!).
    | > 4. insisting that asking noob questions w/o first trying to resolve an
    | issue
    | > one's self is the BEST way to get an answer or solution to a problem.
    | > 5. 'cos one believes a response to said question(s) was aimed at HELPING
    | one
    | > out of one's dilemma RATHER THAN taking it - as the rest of us do - as a
    | > blatant insult to the POSTER in the solution's OBVIOUS simplicity!
    | >
    | > your assumptions are grossly inaccurate and illogical...which are wholly
    | > what software developers LOATH !!!
    | >
    | > RTFM !!!
    | >

    | Steve,
    |
    | when one is a novice and is trying to get the job done in the least amount
    | of time without having to wade through pages and pages of crap and
    unrelated
    | muck that google chucks up is that not a better use of ones time?
    |
    | Thanks
    | Andy Mak

    steve Guest

  9. #9

    | Now you see - that is what I am after - but i'm just to lazy and crap at
    | searching to find somthing like that...

    BINGO !!!

    the truth exposed..."i'm just to[o] lazy and crap[y] at searching to find
    something like that".

    steve Guest

  10. #10

    Domestos wrote:

    > Steve,
    >
    > when one is a novice and is trying to get the job done in the least
    > amount of time without having to wade through pages and pages of crap
    > and unrelated muck that google chucks up is that not a better use of
    > ones time?[/ref]

    First of all, there is the MySQL manual. Second, there are dozens of books
    covering the subject.

    If you were to take 30 minutes reading the first couple chapters of one, you
    wouldn't even have to spend the time waiting for a response here.

    So, in the interest of saving time (the time saved reading the manual or a
    basic primer on MySQL - maybe a couple hours or so), you end up wasting even
    more time (the time spent waiting for a response here, EVERY time you have a
    question - eventually adding up to many hours).

    Yep, sounds really efficient to me...

    --
    Tony Garcia
    Web Right! Development

    Tony Guest

  11. #11

    Domestos wrote:

    And why should I care about how much time it takes you to get a job done
    if you won't RTFM?

    I enjoy helping others out. However, you'll learn a lot more by
    spending a little time looking for the answer and trying to figure it
    out for yourself.

    Asking a question here may be a better use of YOUR time - but when it's
    ITFM it's a waste of everyone else who reads this newsgroup's time. And
    pretty soon you won't be able to get ANY answer - even if it isn't ITFM.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  12. #12

    I posted the link to help you but also to show that a great tutorial is
    right on the site where you actually get mysql. This is often the case.
    And when that is a problem try searches like this in google

    mysql tutorial
    php tutorial
    xhtml tutorial

    I try to ask questions in a forum when I have tried with reasonable
    effort but failed on my own.

    petermichaux@yahoo.com Guest

  13. #13

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:22:18 GMT, "Domestos" <net> wrote:

    >Now you see - that is what I am after - but i'm just to lazy and crap at
    >searching to find somthing like that...
    >
    >Andy Mak
    >[/ref]
    No, that's not it. The word that most applies is "arrogant".
    nemo Guest

  14. #14

    com wrote:

    I downloaded the help file which includes that & is searchable, etc.
    Very helpful.
    paul Guest

  15. #15

    > Now you see - that is what I am after - but i'm just to lazy and crap at
    > searching to find somthing like that...[/ref]

    Well, there's your first mistake. We sit in our seats hour upon hour
    searching and learning. If you are unable to do the same, then this isn't
    something that *you* can learn.

    elyob Guest