Professional Web Applications Themes

Two versions of Linux and Windows. - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Mauriat wrote: > Doug Laidlaw wrote: > >> I have Mandrake 9.0 and Windows 98 on /dev/hda, and Knoppix on /dev/hdb. >> This seems to confuse the FAT, so that I can boot into Windows and >> Mandrake, >> but not Knoppix without several errors. Would I be better off to have >> all the boot partitions on one drive, and move say the /home partitions >> to >> /dev/hdb? Are there any disadvantages in doing it this way? >> >> TIA, >> >> Doug. > > What does "confuse the FAT" mean? You can have 2 linux and 1 ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Two versions of Linux and Windows.

    Mauriat wrote:
    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> I have Mandrake 9.0 and Windows 98 on /dev/hda, and Knoppix on /dev/hdb.
    >> This seems to confuse the FAT, so that I can boot into Windows and
    >> Mandrake,
    >> but not Knoppix without several errors. Would I be better off to have
    >> all the boot partitions on one drive, and move say the /home partitions
    >> /dev/hdb? Are there any disadvantages in doing it this way?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Doug.
    >
    > What does "confuse the FAT" mean? You can have 2 linux and 1 windows on
    > the same drive. Why don't you post what problems you see and what errors
    > are occurring and fix them one by one? What errors are you seeing in
    > Knoppix? What bootloaders are you using? Provide more info and people
    > can help better.

    Sorry. The messages are lengthy, and without a running OS, I can't save
    them to disk. As far as I can see, the following lines indicate problems:

    Idm_validate_partition-table(): Disk read failed
    Unable to read partition table
    FAT: bogus logical sector size 0 (twice)
    Kernel panic VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:06

    My bootloader is LILO. I don't get as far as launching knoppix.

    Doug.
    --
    Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place. My typing is

  2. #2

    >> What does "confuse the FAT" mean? You can have 2 linux and 1 windows on
    >> the same drive. Why don't you post what problems you see and what errors
    >> are occurring and fix them one by one? What errors are you seeing in
    >> Knoppix? What bootloaders are you using? Provide more info and people
    >> can help better.
    >>
    > Sorry. The messages are lengthy, and without a running OS, I can't save
    > them to disk. As far as I can see, the following lines indicate problems:
    >
    > Idm_validate_partition-table(): Disk read failed
    > Unable to read partition table
    > FAT: bogus logical sector size 0 (twice)
    > Kernel panic VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:06
    03:06 is hda6, which doesn't sound right if this is your knoppix install
    on hdb. Change your lilo.conf (root= line) *and* run /sbin/lilo

    > My bootloader is LILO. I don't get as far as launching knoppix.
    Then run /sbin/lilo from mandrake with the knoppix's lilo.conf

    Eric
    Eric Moors Guest

  3. #3

    Eric Moors wrote:

    >>> What does "confuse the FAT" mean? You can have 2 linux and 1 windows on
    >>> the same drive. Why don't you post what problems you see and what errors
    >>> are occurring and fix them one by one? What errors are you seeing in
    >>> Knoppix? What bootloaders are you using? Provide more info and people
    >>> can help better.
    >>>
    >> Sorry. The messages are lengthy, and without a running OS, I can't save
    >> them to disk. As far as I can see, the following lines indicate
    >> problems:
    >>
    >> Idm_validate_partition-table(): Disk read failed
    >> Unable to read partition table
    >> FAT: bogus logical sector size 0 (twice)
    >> Kernel panic VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:06
    >
    > 03:06 is hda6, which doesn't sound right if this is your knoppix install
    > on hdb. Change your lilo.conf (root= line) *and* run /sbin/lilo
    >

    >> My bootloader is LILO. I don't get as far as launching knoppix.
    >
    > Then run /sbin/lilo from mandrake with the knoppix's lilo.conf
    >
    > Eric
    Thanks Eric. To do that I will need to boot into Mandrake's Rescue mode. I
    also have tomsrtbt, which is much more flexible. I used to kave it working
    after a fashion with a composite lilo.conf, but had version conflicts - the
    knoppix kernel wouldn't support ext3, so I couldn't save from Knoppix to
    Mandrake directories (well, I could, but it seemed to wreck the directory's
    fs,) and Mandrake's e2fsck was too old for knoppix. Now I have the latest
    e2fsck installed, so the second problem seems fixed.
    --
    Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place. My typing is
    about as accurate. Apologies for any typos that slip in. Oh for Linux
    voice dictation.- Doug.
    Doug Laidlaw Guest

  4. #4

    Eric Moors wrote:

    >> Kernel panic VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:06
    >
    > 03:06 is hda6, which doesn't sound right if this is your knoppix install
    > on hdb. Change your lilo.conf (root= line) *and* run /sbin/lilo
    >

    >> My bootloader is LILO. I don't get as far as launching knoppix.
    >
    > Then run /sbin/lilo from mandrake with the knoppix's lilo.conf
    >
    > Eric
    The "root=" line points to /dev/hdb5, which is correct. Knoppix is booted
    via a /mnt partition in Mandrake. My full lilo.conf is as follows:

    boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    vga=normal
    default=linux
    keytable=/boot/us.klt
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=100
    message=/boot/message
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    ignore-table
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label=linux
    root=/dev/hda7
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
    read-only
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label=failsafe
    root=/dev/hda7
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
    read-only
    image=/mnt/knoppix/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
    label=Knoppix
    root=/dev/hdb5
    read-only
    # restricted
    # alias=1
    other=/dev/hda1
    label=windows
    table=/dev/hda
    other=/dev/fd0
    label=floppy
    unsafe

    Vmlinuz is of course Mandrake. There is no initrd in Knoppix. /dev/hdb5 is
    /mnt/knoppix and is 96% full. Is that relevant? /dev/hdb6 is swap, but
    there is plenty of space (1 GB) in /dev/hdb7, which is unused at the
    moment.

    Doug.

  5. #5

    > The "root=" line points to /dev/hdb5, which is correct. Knoppix is booted
    > via a /mnt partition in Mandrake. My full lilo.conf is as follows:
    Okay.
    How whas knoppix installed? Was hdb then already hdb
    (and not connected as hda?)
    > boot=/dev/hda
    > map=/boot/map
    > vga=normal
    > default=linux
    > keytable=/boot/us.klt
    > prompt
    > nowarn
    > timeout=100
    > message=/boot/message
    > menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    > ignore-table
    > image=/boot/vmlinuz
    > label=linux
    > root=/dev/hda7
    > initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    > append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
    > read-only
    > image=/boot/vmlinuz
    > label=failsafe
    > root=/dev/hda7
    > initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    > append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
    > read-only
    > image=/mnt/knoppix/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
    > label=Knoppix
    > root=/dev/hdb5
    > read-only
    > # restricted
    > # alias=1
    > other=/dev/hda1
    > label=windows
    > table=/dev/hda
    > other=/dev/fd0
    > label=floppy
    > unsafe
    >
    > Vmlinuz is of course Mandrake. There is no initrd in Knoppix. /dev/hdb5 is
    > /mnt/knoppix and is 96% full. Is that relevant?
    No. partitioning etc. is irrelevant at the moment where your booting
    process fails. You are sure that this lilo is installed?
    ie. did you run `/sbin/lilo -v` without problems.

    Eric
    Eric Moors Guest

  6. #6

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Eric Moors wrote:
    >

    >>> Kernel panic VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:06
    >>
    >> 03:06 is hda6, which doesn't sound right if this is your knoppix install
    >> on hdb. Change your lilo.conf (root= line) *and* run /sbin/lilo
    >>

    >>> My bootloader is LILO. I don't get as far as launching knoppix.
    >>
    >> Then run /sbin/lilo from mandrake with the knoppix's lilo.conf
    >>
    >> Eric
    >
    > The "root=" line points to /dev/hdb5, which is correct. Knoppix is booted
    > via a /mnt partition in Mandrake. My full lilo.conf is as follows:
    >
    > boot=/dev/hda
    > map=/boot/map
    > vga=normal
    > default=linux
    > keytable=/boot/us.klt
    > prompt
    > nowarn
    > timeout=100
    > message=/boot/message
    > menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    > ignore-table
    > image=/boot/vmlinuz
    > label=linux
    > root=/dev/hda7
    > initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    > append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
    > read-only
    > image=/boot/vmlinuz
    > label=failsafe
    > root=/dev/hda7
    > initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    > append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
    > read-only
    > image=/mnt/knoppix/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
    > label=Knoppix
    > root=/dev/hdb5
    > read-only
    > # restricted
    > # alias=1
    > other=/dev/hda1
    > label=windows
    > table=/dev/hda
    > other=/dev/fd0
    > label=floppy
    > unsafe
    >
    > Vmlinuz is of course Mandrake. There is no initrd in Knoppix. /dev/hdb5
    > is
    > /mnt/knoppix and is 96% full. Is that relevant? /dev/hdb6 is swap, but
    > there is plenty of space (1 GB) in /dev/hdb7, which is unused at the
    > moment.
    >
    > Doug.

    I reinstalled Knoppix' lilo.conf and was able to boot into Knoppix O.K., but
    then I couldn't return to the original without Kernel Panic on both
    distros, so I gave up and reinstalled Mandrake. And I was just waiting for
    it to stabilize before making an "image" of my Mandrake system with
    mkcdrec.

    Doug.