Professional Web Applications Themes

Type and symbols question - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Susan, Hold the Alt-key and type 0169. You can look up these characters in the character map in Windows. Juergen...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Type and symbols question

    Susan,

    Hold the Alt-key and type 0169. You can look up these characters in the character map in Windows.

    Juergen
    JuergenDirrigl Guest

  2. #2

    Juergen got it..... To further the thought;

    You can also create a copywrite "Brush" stamp. (instructions courtesy of
    Grant a few weeks ago).

    See if I recall this correctly;

    Open a new canvas with white background.
    Click on Text tool and choose a dark color (black)
    Click on the canvas
    Use the alt 0169 to get the copywrite symbol
    Type you name (and/or anything else you want
    Crop closely and then save as PSD file (in case you want to change later)
    Then Click "Edit" and "Define Brush". (Name it whatever you want)
    Now choose "Paintbrush" and look at the default brushes.
    Your new "Brush" should be at the bottom of the list.

    (yeah, this is correct, I made a new one while typing this)

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  3. #3

    And just in case you are using a mac, Susan, it would be "option + g" instead of "alt 0169."
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  4. #4

    Pete,

    That is really neat! Thanks for posting it.

    Juergen
    JuergenDirrigl Guest

  5. #5

    Al

    After selecting the text tool click on the canvas. You should see a
    cursor blinking!

    Then alt 0169 and you will get the symbol.

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry Pete- Did it that way and it still didn't happen.

    ???????????????????

    Al
    Al Millstein Guest

  7. #7

    By Golly, that's right, Bob

    Al
    Al Millstein Guest

  8. #8

    Al,

    Glad Bob was here to clarify and it works for you. (I did not know
    that..... just use the keypad all the time from habit).

    ..... how did we get by these past weeks without Bob.

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  9. #9

    Susan, you should be able to find it under Start>Programs>Accessories>System
    Tools or something like that; at least that's where it resides in Windows
    98SE.

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  10. #10

    On my Win98SE installation, the Character Map executable is CHARMAP.EXE, located in C:\windows.

    You could open the location in Windows Explorer, and drag the app to Start to create a shortcut on the menu.

    Byron
    Byron Gale Guest

  11. #11

    Susan,

    Chucks location also applies to WinXP. You can open it like any program.

    You can also do an internet search on ansi character map and you will find
    sites that have "printable" pages. I keep a printed page handy and refer
    to it when I need a new character, then just alt and the number. I find
    that much easier than scrolling through all the character map screens.

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  12. #12

    Thank you but I had to install it from the Windows CD. Now the character map symbols are not correct-- 0227 is according to the map is supposed to be the but is . I have got to apply fix 90455 from MS Knowledge Base I think. I cannot access it tonight.
    Susan Acree Guest

  13. #13

    I have the PE before 2.0. Please tell me about the "Edit" and "Define Brush". I clicked the "Edit" and the drop down menu had "Define Pattern". I am afraid I don't understand the last three steps. Please explain.

    Thanks,
    Susan
    Susan Acree Guest

  14. #14

    "Susan >>>> I have the PE before 2.0. Please tell me about the "Edit" and
    "Define Brush". I clicked the "Edit" and the drop down menu had "Define
    Pattern". I am afraid I don't understand the last three steps. Please
    explain.>>>

    Susan,

    I just looked at my PSE 1.01 (the earlier version); after clicking the
    "Edit" the drop down has "Define Brush" just above Define Pattern....
    Don't give up. This is a really cool brush. If you don't find define
    brush post again.

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  15. #15

    I feel like an idiot now. For the character map, I just have to select the right font such as "Arial" to get the right symbol 0169 for the copyright. It was set to "symbol" which gives 0227 for the copyright character.

    Thanks everyone for your replies!

    Susan
    Susan Acree Guest

  16. #16

    Susan,

    Extended (extra) characters are ANSI existing in "most" font files. Most have standard ALT plus four numeric digit numbers (and, of course standard keys for standard characters) but to be sure as to what you'll get, you want to be sure that the font in the font box (Character Map palette) is the SAME as that you have chosen in your program. This is a WINDOWS thing and has been in all versions since Windows 3.1. Some font files will have different extended characters than other fonts with the same ALT four numbers. For instance in Ariel if you use either ALT 0176 or ALT 0186 you'll get . But if compare them in Elements, you'll note they are different sizes. Use Times New Roman and you'll find that ALT 0176 is actually the "degree" sign, while ALT 0186 is a super "O". Also don't forget that your special fonts also have extended characters and access to what they are is available using CharMap.exe (Character Map). This is all on a PC, of course. But I've found that it's very handy to go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools and just Drag n Drop the Character Map shortcut either into the Quick Launch box on your Task Bar or into the top of your Start Menu. This way it's quickly available whenever you wish. The one thing that's easy to forget it to use the same font in both Character Map AND your program.

    Bob
    BobHill Guest