Professional Web Applications Themes

Type on a Path (Change direction it flows?) - Macromedia Freehand

I am using FH10 with XP. BTW - I feel like a total idiot for asking this because I have been using FH for about 5 years now?can someone tell me how to change the direction in which type flows on a path? I draw a lot of road maps and the easiest way to add the road names is to duplicate the line I?ve drawn for the road, and attach the type to it. It seems that the type automatically flows in the same direction that the original line was drawn (ie. if the line was drawn from top ...

  1. #1

    Default Type on a Path (Change direction it flows?)

    I am using FH10 with XP.

    BTW - I feel like a total idiot for asking this because I have been using FH
    for about 5 years now?can someone tell me how to change the direction in which
    type flows on a path? I draw a lot of road maps and the easiest way to add the
    road names is to duplicate the line I?ve drawn for the road, and attach the
    type to it. It seems that the type automatically flows in the same direction
    that the original line was drawn (ie. if the line was drawn from top to botton
    the text will flow from top to bottom and vice versa). Occasionally the text
    will flow in the wrong direction and I need to change it.

    Here is another example. If you draw a circle, and attach type to it ? it
    automatically flows across the top of the circle. How do you get it to flow
    across the bottom of the circle instead (on the inside ?rim? if you will)?
    When I click & drag the little arrow thing in front of the very first letter it
    will let me move the type around the circle, but then it is upside down?

    Any ideas?
    No rush?this is not an emergency. I just thought I would take advantage of
    this forum one last time before Adobe decides to kill us off?sniff..sniff?
    :brokenheart; Also, I would like to thank everyone who has made these forums so
    successful. You guys are amazing, especially Judy. I dread the thought of
    having to turn to the Adobe forums for FH info in the future. Tneir forums are
    useless.

    Thanks!!
    ~shelly

    ~ Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Type on a Path (Change direction it flows?)

    Hi Shelly

    I haven't got it to reverse direction but in order to get it on the bottom of
    the circle do the following:

    Attach text to a circle.
    In the Object Palette select Top: "none" Bottom: "Baseline" Orientation
    "Rotate around path"

    Hope this helps!

    Andrew

    andrewgburnett Guest

  3. #3

    Yipee!!! :D

    Thanks Andrew. Hopefully someone will be able to tell us how to get it to
    change direction. I'll rephrase the question just to make sure everyone
    understands what we are looking for:

    If you draw a line beginning from South to North (bottom to top), the text
    will start at the Southern most point and flow North. I want to make the text
    flow from North to South (top to bottom) without having to draw a new path...

    Thanks!
    ~shelly

    ~ Guest

  4. #4

    Oops. :confused;

    Not sure how I did that.
    This questions has NOT been answered...
    ~ Guest

  5. #5

    *Subselect* your type on a path (by holding Alt or using that silly he
    white pointer), then use Xtras>Cleanup>Reverse Direction. I also use
    this frequently for the same thing as you, so I used FH's ability to
    customise toolbars to put the button for Reverse Direction in the Info
    toolbar.

    --

    Danny
    Danny Guest

  6. #6

    SWEEEEET!!!!

    Thanks Danny. I never would have figured that out...

    ~shelly
    ~ Guest