Professional Web Applications Themes

TypeIt4Me on X? - Mac Applications & Software

Over the years, I have become quite used to TypeIt4Me. I see that it is available for X and, since I will be moving from 9.2.2 to Panther soon, I wondered about the functionality of TypeIt4Me under X. Does anyone know? Also, I tried DLing it (via 9.2.2) to have it on hand but I got a server error. Is it impossible to DL OS X apps while under 9.2.2? And if that is true, why is that?...

  1. #1

    Default TypeIt4Me on X?

    Over the years, I have become quite used to TypeIt4Me. I see that it is
    available for X and, since I will be moving from 9.2.2 to Panther soon,
    I wondered about the functionality of TypeIt4Me under X. Does anyone
    know?

    Also, I tried DLing it (via 9.2.2) to have it on hand but I got a server
    error. Is it impossible to DL OS X apps while under 9.2.2? And if that
    is true, why is that?
    Madwen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: TypeIt4Me on X?

    Madwen <com> wrote:

    It works fine under Jaguar. I have not tried it under Panther but I
    don't see why it wouldn't continue working. It's very sensibly
    implemented (as an input method). m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    matt Guest

  3. #3

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    I used TypeIt4Me in OS 8/9 as well. I downloaded and registered the OSX
    version soon after I switched to X full-time (it wasn't expensive to buy
    an upgrade license). It's been a disappointment. Check out the comments
    at versiontracker. I agree with most of them.

    Pat Guest

  4. #4

    Try SpellCatcher. I used SpellCatcher when it was Thunder 7 eons ago,
    then switched to TypeIt4Me. Upgraded to the OS X version, but went back
    to SpellCatcher when the OS X version was released. A little more
    expensive, but it works quite well.

    In article <giganews.com>, Madwen

    Phyllis Guest

  5. #5

    In article <rogers.nf.net>,
    Pat Janes <likely> wrote:

    > I used TypeIt4Me in OS 8/9 as well. I downloaded and registered the OSX
    > version soon after I switched to X full-time (it wasn't expensive to buy
    > an upgrade license). It's been a disappointment. Check out the comments
    > at versiontracker. I agree with most of them.
    >
    > http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12930[/ref]

    Matt says it works find for him and I sure hope that holds true for me.
    But I sure saw a lot of unhappy people on the VersionTracker reviews.
    Well this is a huge disappointment. I've been a Mac user since the
    beginning and I held off on X longer than most to better ensure that
    essential software would be upgraded for X. What is it 3 years now
    since X was introduced?

    And I sure hope Classic mode works better on Panther than it does in
    10.1 because it quits all the time for me in 10.1 and I will have to use
    it for Wordperfect (our entire office of all PCs but me uses
    WordPerfect) and some propietary databases. If not, I will have to
    stick with 9.2.2 :(.

    ..
    Madwen Guest

  6. #6

    Madwen <com> wrote:

    But did you notice that the overall rating is 4.1 out of 5?

    It works better in 10.1.x for most people than it works for you,
    especially if you upgrade all the way to 10.1.5.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  7. #7

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:06:49 -0500, Madwen <com> did write:

    Me too, but after switching to the free TextExtras, I've never
    looked back. I don't know why this isn't more widely known: it
    has greatly enhanced OS X for me:

    http://www.lorax.com/FreeStuff/TextExtras.html

    Lee Guest

  8. #8

    In article <lcp.nrl.navy.mil>,
    Lee Phillips <org.invalid> wrote:

    > Me too, but after switching to the free TextExtras, I've never
    > looked back. I don't know why this isn't more widely known: it
    > has greatly enhanced OS X for me:
    >
    > http://www.lorax.com/FreeStuff/TextExtras.html
    >[/ref]

    Thanks! I will have a looksee. :)
    Madwen Guest

  9. #9

    In article <1g34b73.u9xa951f6oc2iN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > But did you notice that the overall rating is 4.1 out of 5?[/ref]

    Yes, but that sure seems inconsistent with the reviews. I will try it
    anyway and make up my own mind.

    > It works better in 10.1.x for most people than it works for you.....[/ref]

    I honestly don't know why that would be. I have hardly used any
    software with it as yet. It just constantly quits Classic mode,
    refusing to mount it again until I start up in 9.2.2 and run DFA. If
    Panther is as reliable (non-crashing) as 9.2.2, I will be very happy.

    Oh I did try and try. Even with an integrated pair, the 44 MB 10.1.5
    download takes several hours. After being disconnected three times in
    the last quarter of the download, I finally admitted defeat. Living
    practically in the middle of a couple state parks, there is no DSL or
    cable. But the view is spectacular. :)
    Madwen Guest

  10. #10

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    > Oh I did try and try. Even with an integrated pair, the 44 MB 10.1.5
    > download takes several hours. After being disconnected three times in
    > the last quarter of the download, I finally admitted defeat. Living
    > practically in the middle of a couple state parks, there is no DSL or
    > cable. But the view is spectacular. :)[/ref]

    That is where I find iCab indispensable. It can resume a partial
    download with the greatest of ease. It appears that they do have a
    version specifically for 10.1, but it might be just as easy to boot into
    9.2.2 and use the version of iCab for pre OS X. There is no problem
    downloading OS X software in OS 9. You just won't be able to mount the
    disk image until you boot into OS X.

    --
    Matt Broughton
    Only relatives are absolute.

  11. #11

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Matt Broughton <com> wrote:

    > > Oh I did try and try. Even with an integrated pair, the 44 MB 10.1.5
    > > download takes several hours. After being disconnected three times in
    > > the last quarter of the download, I finally admitted defeat. Living
    > > practically in the middle of a couple state parks, there is no DSL or
    > > cable. But the view is spectacular. :)[/ref]
    >
    > That is where I find iCab indispensable. It can resume a partial
    > download with the greatest of ease. It appears that they do have a
    > version specifically for 10.1, but it might be just as easy to boot into
    > 9.2.2 and use the version of iCab for pre OS X. There is no problem
    > downloading OS X software in OS 9. You just won't be able to mount the
    > disk image until you boot into OS X.[/ref]

    Cool! What I need first is Stuffit expander for OS X (and then iCab)
    so I can unstuff what I DL. Yes, I was using IE since i was unable to
    DL iCab which is the browser I use almost exclusively in 9.2.2. Thanks
    so much for the great advice :)

    Madeleine
    Madwen Guest

  12. #12

    Madwen <com> wrote:

    You should already have that, since it's included with OS X.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  13. #13

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    > Cool! What I need first is Stuffit expander for OS X (and then iCab)
    > so I can unstuff what I DL. Yes, I was using IE since i was unable to
    > DL iCab which is the browser I use almost exclusively in 9.2.2. Thanks
    > so much for the great advice :)[/ref]

    You should already have a copy of Stuffit Expander that was installed
    with OS 10.1. Take a look in the Applications->Utilities folder.

    FWIW, I also seem to recall that quite a few of us had problems
    downloading OS 10.1.x updates using the early versions of OS 10.1.
    There seemed to be instances of a download showing as being completed
    when only part of the file was downloaded. Never any proof that it was
    a problem of OS 10.1, but . Downloading the OS 10.1.x updates while
    booted to OS 9.x solved the problem.

  14. #14

    In article <1g3661j.1htkyq11yygr2yN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > You should already have that, since it's included with OS X.[/ref]

    Yes I know but it would not work. But just for the hell of it, I put an
    alias of it on the desktop and it worked! So much for the MacHelp file
    that says you really don't need to have anything on your desktop.
    Madwen Guest

  15. #15

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Matt Broughton <com> wrote:

    Thanks to you, I finally was able to DL and install the 10.1.5 upgrade.
    I DLd iCab for 10.1.x while started in 9.2.2, like you said. After
    starting in X again, I dropped the iCab file on an alias of Stuffit
    Expander that I put on the desktop to see if that might work. And it
    did! Then I went to the Apple site and searched for the 10.1.5 upgrade
    and let iCab DL it while I went to bed for the night. It DLd just fine
    and, after struggling for a half hour trying to figure out the bit about
    the administrative password, I was able to install it without a hitch.
    (The OS X version of iCab is just awesome) I consider all these
    machinations good practice for when my Panther arrives.

    Unfortunately, now I am having problems with my dialup configurations.
    I installed five or six different ones and have backchecked the ISP
    settings and passwords but it seems to only allow me to connect on the
    first number/configuration. I get one of two error messages on the same
    numbers: either "failure to authenticate" (most often) or something
    like "unable to communicate with remote host" (occasional). Only one,
    the first one, of my 5 or 6 Earthlink numbers works. But in 9.2.2, they
    ALL work just fine. I called Earthlink and they said I had to use V.34
    instead of V 90 but, in the past, that has given me an unacceptably slow
    connection. I work from my home and am paid by the hour. A slow
    dial-up connection is unfeasible (cable and DSL are not available in my
    area). And I find it bizarre that with a more modern OS I'd have to use
    older modem software. That makes no sense.

    Also, it still will not print in X. I get message that my Epson 740 is
    "unsupported". On the Epson website, they have a FAQ indicating that an
    OS X driver for that model is now included in OS X software so I can
    only hope that it is on the Panther CD.

    I also can't seem to find a way to hide the "Classic" window when
    switching to apps in X.

    I take it the Mac Help font cannot be changed to something larger? Why
    do they always do that--- like we all have 20-20 vision FCOL.

    I also still need to figure out why I get connected to the internet at
    seemingly random times.

    But I do seem to be making some progress anyway. Thanks for all your
    help :)

    Madeleine
    Madwen Guest

  16. #16

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    I can't wait until we get full support for CSS in iCab. I'm sure it
    will be as good as the rest of the browser.

    The PPP log should indicate whether you are sending user and password
    and whether the ISP is responding.

    Balderdash. That should have nothing to do with whether you can
    authenticate. That sounds like a one size fits all solution they give
    when they don't know the answer. On the other hand, a lot depends on
    whether you have a hardware modem or one of the newer software modems.
    Hopefully, things will self correct with the installation of Panther.

    You will get to use your printer again in anything OS 10.2 or above.
    You may however find that you prefer the Gimp-Print driver to the one
    Epson supplies. (Just planting the seed so you know there are
    alternatives if you don't think the included driver is sufficient.)

    I know, I know. I can't tip my head far enough back and I run out of
    bifocal before I can see the print. :-) I haven't found where the help
    files are located either. In OS 9, we could at least open them in a web
    browser and adjust the type size.

    It sounds like you are off to a good start. It will take some time to
    get all the little (and not so little) problems solved. After six
    months, you will do everything instinctively. After a year, you will
    suddenly realize that you haven't crashed in over ten months.

  17. #17

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Matt Broughton <com> wrote:

    > I can't wait until we get full support for CSS in iCab. I'm sure it
    > will be as good as the rest of the browser.[/ref]

    Better than Safari? I have never used Safari.

    > The PPP log should indicate whether you are sending user and password
    > and whether the ISP is responding.[/ref]

    I will have a look there next time I log in to X. I have yet to get a
    working URL for MT Newswatcher and it crashes in Classic moe so I have
    to read it from a 9.2.2 start.

    > Balderdash. That should have nothing to do with whether you can
    > authenticate. That sounds like a one size fits all solution they give
    > when they don't know the answer. On the other hand, a lot depends on
    > whether you have a hardware modem or one of the newer software modems.
    > Hopefully, things will self correct with the installation of Panther.[/ref]

    Yes, what hornswoggle! It seems like a handshaking problem to me---
    especially since I only have that problem with Earthlink. I honestly
    don't know what kind of modem I have iin my Quicksilver.... whatever
    came with it. I just assumed it was hardware. I hope Panther takes
    care of it too.

    > You will get to use your printer again in anything OS 10.2 or above.
    > You may however find that you prefer the Gimp-Print driver to the one
    > Epson supplies. (Just planting the seed so you know there are
    > alternatives if you don't think the included driver is sufficient.)[/ref]

    Well that is good news. Where will I find that Gimp-Print driver? Yes
    I do appreciate alternatives. Thanks again for your kind help :) I
    will likely be posting more questions on CSM until I get up to speed.

    Madeleine
    Madwen Guest

  18. #18

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    The biggest problem I have with TypeIT4Me X is that its expansion isn't
    very fast. If I type a phrase that triggers TypeIT4Me, I have to pause
    or the next word I type will be missing its first letter. That never
    happened in OS9.

    Classic works great with 10.2, it should work just as well with 10.3.
    Classic has never quit on me and I keep it open all the time. I switched
    to OSX full time a year ago but I use Claris Emailer in Classic. I still
    haven't found an OSX email app I like better :-)

    Back to the subject of TypeIT4Me, it runs better in Classic while I'm
    using Claris Emailer (no missing letters) than the native version does
    with Carbon or Cocoa applications.
    Pat Guest

  19. #19

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Madwen <com> wrote:

    The Gimp-Print drivers and associated Ghostscript packages are at:
    <http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3>
    I have heard people mention that the Gimp-Print drivers are supposed to
    be included in Panther. After a cursory search, I could find no mention
    of it on the Panther pages. The Giimp-Print drivers will only work with
    OS 10.2 and above however. You will probably want to wait and see what
    Panther brings before doing another 10 MB download.

  20. #20

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Matt Broughton <com> wrote:

    > The Gimp-Print drivers and associated Ghostscript packages are at:
    > <http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3>
    > I have heard people mention that the Gimp-Print drivers are supposed to
    > be included in Panther. After a cursory search, I could find no mention
    > of it on the Panther pages. The Giimp-Print drivers will only work with
    > OS 10.2 and above however. You will probably want to wait and see what
    > Panther brings before doing another 10 MB download.[/ref]

    OK will do. Thanks :)
    Madwen Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast