Professional Web Applications Themes

Ubuntu as Mail server - Ubuntu

Hello I am thinking of setting up Ubuntu as a mailserver on a small peer to peer network (eight PCs). The current server (running Win XP Pro) also serves as the internet gateway for the network and has two network cards. Some users access mail through IMAP, others use pop. Also, I need a webmail facility as some users sometimes need to access their mails off site. Are there any simple guides in how to tie in an Ubuntu machine into a peer to peer network, to set up imap and pop servers as well as a webmail service? Thanks ...

  1. #1

    Default Ubuntu as Mail server

    Hello

    I am thinking of setting up Ubuntu as a mailserver on a small peer to
    peer network (eight PCs). The current server (running Win XP Pro) also
    serves as the internet gateway for the network and has two network cards.

    Some users access mail through IMAP, others use pop. Also, I need a
    webmail facility as some users sometimes need to access their mails off
    site.

    Are there any simple guides in how to tie in an Ubuntu machine into a
    peer to peer network, to set up imap and pop servers as well as a
    webmail service?

    Thanks

    Norbert
    Norbert Lieckfeldt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ubuntu as Mail server

    * Norbert Lieckfeldt wrote:

    > I am thinking of setting up Ubuntu as a mailserver on a small peer to
    > peer network (eight PCs). The current server (running Win XP Pro) also
    > serves as the internet gateway for the network and has two network cards.
    So are you going to replace the current WinXP maching with the Ubuntu
    one, or is the Ubuntu server going to be behind the gateway?
    > Some users access mail through IMAP, others use pop. Also, I need a
    > webmail facility as some users sometimes need to access their mails off
    > site.
    Are the users accessing from inside your LAN only, or outside as well
    (using POP/IMAP)?
    > Are there any simple guides in how to tie in an Ubuntu machine into a
    > peer to peer network, to set up imap and pop servers as well as a
    > webmail service?
    I have something like this - I use postfix mail server, dovecot IMAP
    server, squirrelmail webmail server.

    Suggest you get postfix working first, then install dovecot, then
    squirrelmail. There are any number of howtos on this, even on the
    ubuntu website/forums. Have a scrounge around there.

    --
    Troy Piggins
    ,-o Ubuntu v5.10 (Breezy Badger): kernel 2.6.12-9-386,

  3. #3

    Norbert Lieckfeldt schrieb:
    > Hello
    >
    > I am thinking of setting up Ubuntu as a mailserver on a small peer to
    > peer network (eight PCs). The current server (running Win XP Pro) also
    > serves as the internet gateway for the network and has two network cards.
    >
    > Some users access mail through IMAP, others use pop. Also, I need a
    > webmail facility as some users sometimes need to access their mails off
    > site.
    >
    > Are there any simple guides in how to tie in an Ubuntu machine into a
    > peer to peer network, to set up imap and pop servers as well as a
    > webmail service?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Norbert
    Look at [url]http://www.postfix.org/docs.html[/url]. There are plenty of howtos on
    that topic. Basically you'll need something like configured postfix,
    cyrus-imapd and squirrelmail (have done that once).

    Regards,
    Seb
    Sebastian Georgi Guest

  4. #4

    Troy Piggins <usenet-0604piggo.com> wrote in
    > * Norbert Lieckfeldt wrote:
    >>
    >> I am thinking of setting up Ubuntu as a mailserver on a small peer to
    >> peer network (eight PCs). The current server (running Win XP Pro)
    >> also serves as the internet gateway for the network and has two
    >> network cards.
    >
    > So are you going to replace the current WinXP maching with the Ubuntu
    > one, or is the Ubuntu server going to be behind the gateway?
    I thought I'd install Ubuntu on the WinXP machine as a dual-boot for the
    moment.

    >> Some users access mail through IMAP, others use pop. Also, I need a
    >> webmail facility as some users sometimes need to access their mails
    >> off site.
    >
    > Are the users accessing from inside your LAN only, or outside as well
    > (using POP/IMAP)?
    No, only LAN users would use the IMAP/POP facility, others would use
    webmail access. At least that's what happened in the past.

  5. #5

    Norbert Lieckfeldt wrote:
    > Are there any simple guides in how to tie in an Ubuntu machine into a
    > peer to peer network, to set up imap and pop servers as well as a
    > webmail service?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Norbert
    You can make your life real easy if you take a look at clarkconnect ;-)
    [url]http://www.clarkconnect.com/[/url]
    It includes everything you need and much more.

    Yves
    --
    Running GNU/Linux
    yvesdm[AT]telenet[dot]be | GnuPG: 0xD590F022