Professional Web Applications Themes

Ubuntu as server - Ubuntu

Hi all. I have to make a work in an office in which I'd have to install a small server including a DHCPd/DNSd, squid, samba PDC and vsftpd. I always used Debian for purposes like these but now I'm curious to try Ubuntu out. I was wondering if Ubuntu is good for servers and if it could be a good in substitution of Debian. Best regards. billiejoex...

  1. #1

    Default Ubuntu as server

    Hi all. I have to make a work in an office in which I'd have to install a
    small server including a DHCPd/DNSd, squid, samba PDC and vsftpd.
    I always used Debian for purposes like these but now I'm curious to try
    Ubuntu out.
    I was wondering if Ubuntu is good for servers and if it could be a good in
    substitution of Debian.

    Best regards.

    billiejoex

    billie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ubuntu as server

    On 2006-02-20, billie <mlistfastwebnet.it> wrote:
    > Hi all. I have to make a work in an office in which I'd have to install a
    > small server including a DHCPd/DNSd, squid, samba PDC and vsftpd.
    > I always used Debian for purposes like these but now I'm curious to try
    > Ubuntu out.
    > I was wondering if Ubuntu is good for servers and if it could be a good in
    > substitution of Debian.
    It's certainly possible, but I was under the impression that no server
    software ships with Ubuntu default (to the extent that they deem a
    firewall config app unnecessary in the default install). You'll likely
    have to go about installing the apps you need one by one through your
    package manager or sources.

    --
    -Toby, who...
    field to cirvent my email filters.

  3. #3

    On 2006-02-20, billie <mlistfastwebnet.it> wrote:
    > Hi all. I have to make a work in an office in which I'd have to install a
    > small server including a DHCPd/DNSd, squid, samba PDC and vsftpd.
    > I always used Debian for purposes like these but now I'm curious to try
    > Ubuntu out.
    > I was wondering if Ubuntu is good for servers and if it could be a good in
    > substitution of Debian.
    Friend of mine had some real problems trying to rebuild his Linux server as
    Ubuntu. From what I've seen of what's available for Ubuntu packages, you
    may wind up missing stuff. However, Linux is Linux and there is no reason
    why any specific Linux application wouldn't run on Ubuntu as long as the
    proper libraries are installed.

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest

  4. #4

    Seth H Holmes <sholmesnottellingyouthiseither.com> writes:
    > Friend of mine had some real problems trying to rebuild his Linux
    > server as Ubuntu. From what I've seen of what's available for Ubuntu
    > packages, you may wind up missing stuff.
    Did you look in the universe repository?
    --
    Regards Jes Vestervang
    Jes Vestervang Guest

  5. #5

    On 2006-02-21, Jes Vestervang <jes.vestervang> wrote:
    > Seth H Holmes <sholmesnottellingyouthiseither.com> writes:
    >
    >> Friend of mine had some real problems trying to rebuild his Linux
    >> server as Ubuntu. From what I've seen of what's available for Ubuntu
    >> packages, you may wind up missing stuff.
    >
    > Did you look in the universe repository?
    I have not. Mayhap I will. I'm still playing around with wpa_supplicant and
    wireless networking. I've had it working with one commercial package but
    now I'm trying to make it work with ndiswrapper. I haven't really looked at
    it for over a week due to lack of time/patience. Need to get back to it.

    Logging for wpa_supplicant is sp from what I've seen. Meanwhile, the
    damn thing is filling my logs with WEP errorcodes.

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest

  6. #6

    Seth H Holmes <sholmesnottellingyouthiseither.com> writes:
    > On 2006-02-21, Jes Vestervang <jes.vestervang> wrote:
    >> Seth H Holmes <sholmesnottellingyouthiseither.com> writes:
    >>
    >>> Friend of mine had some real problems trying to rebuild his Linux
    >>> server as Ubuntu. From what I've seen of what's available for
    >>> Ubuntu packages, you may wind up missing stuff.
    >>
    >> Did you look in the universe repository?
    >
    > I have not. Mayhap I will.
    The official standard repository contains a limited amount of software
    that has undergone some additional testing by the Ubuntu
    maintainers. Universe contains enormous amounts of packages. Coming
    from Debian Unstable where I've used a lot of odd software I found all
    I needed in universe.

    Then there is the multiverse repository which contains proprietary
    software that is free of charge, such as adobe acrobat reader and
    things like that.
    --
    Regards Jes Vestervang
    Jes Vestervang Guest

  7. #7

    Hi
    Is Ubuntu mainly as desktop distribution, or is it stable and good enough to
    run as a server OS?

    /A.

    Andy Guest

  8. #8

    Andy wrote:

    It's supposed to be:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/server

    Regards
    mks
    Markus Guest

  9. #9

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:28:43 +0200, "Andy" <org> wrote:

    A great read

    http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.06

    gerry

    --