Professional Web Applications Themes

Ubuntu Cannot Connect to Internet - Ubuntu

I just installed Ubuntu dual boot with XP on a Sharp laptop. For some reason Ubuntu will not connect to the internet through the ethernet port. XP on the same computer connects fine, so I know it is the Ubuntu install that is messed up. I also installed Ubuntu on a different laptop recently and it works fine on the internet with no tweaking needed. So how do I figure out what is wrong? There is a Network Connection icon but is has little useful information. It says my connection name is "lo" and the status mostly says idle but ...

  1. #1

    Default Ubuntu Cannot Connect to Internet

    I just installed Ubuntu dual boot with XP on a Sharp laptop.

    For some reason Ubuntu will not connect to the internet through the
    ethernet port. XP on the same computer connects fine, so I know it is
    the Ubuntu install that is messed up. I also installed Ubuntu on a
    different laptop recently and it works fine on the internet with no
    tweaking needed.

    So how do I figure out what is wrong? There is a Network Connection
    icon but is has little useful information. It says my connection name
    is "lo" and the status mostly says idle but quickly changes to
    sending/recieving and back every five seconds or so.

    I looked in the help file and followed the directions for adding a
    DHCP server and editing the related config files, but it still doesn't
    work.

    What do I do now?

    Walter Hudson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Ubuntu Cannot Connect to Internet

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:38:55 -0500, Walter Hudson wrote:
    > I just installed Ubuntu dual boot with XP on a Sharp laptop.
    >
    > For some reason Ubuntu will not connect to the internet through the
    > ethernet port. XP on the same computer connects fine, so I know it is
    > the Ubuntu install that is messed up. I also installed Ubuntu on a
    > different laptop recently and it works fine on the internet with no
    > tweaking needed.
    >
    > So how do I figure out what is wrong? There is a Network Connection
    > icon but is has little useful information. It says my connection name
    > is "lo" and the status mostly says idle but quickly changes to
    > sending/recieving and back every five seconds or so.
    >
    > I looked in the help file and followed the directions for adding a
    > DHCP server and editing the related config files, but it still doesn't
    > work.
    >
    > What do I do now?
    First, check your connections. I once wasted the better part of a day
    because the line from my home router to the cable modem (both in the
    basement) was disconnected.

    Second, I think what you need is dhcp-client not dhcp server unless you
    connect directly to the internet through your box, and I don't think you
    do.

    Third, after installing dhcp client, see if there is an entry for eth0,
    your ethernet port, in the file /etc/network/interfaces. It should say
    "iface eth0 inet dhcp". If that entry doesn't exist, add it.

    Fourth, run ifconfig in a console, in order to see if you got a dhcp
    lease. I think the next step will depend on the details of your setup, so
    this is a good place to stop, for now.

    Hope this helps
    Al

    Al Krieger Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:59:26 -0500, Al Krieger <almy.house> wrote:
    >On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:38:55 -0500, Walter Hudson wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed Ubuntu dual boot with XP on a Sharp laptop.
    >>
    >> For some reason Ubuntu will not connect to the internet through the
    >> ethernet port. XP on the same computer connects fine, so I know it is
    >> the Ubuntu install that is messed up. I also installed Ubuntu on a
    >> different laptop recently and it works fine on the internet with no
    >> tweaking needed.
    >>
    >> So how do I figure out what is wrong? There is a Network Connection
    >> icon but is has little useful information. It says my connection name
    >> is "lo" and the status mostly says idle but quickly changes to
    >> sending/recieving and back every five seconds or so.
    >>
    >> I looked in the help file and followed the directions for adding a
    >> DHCP server and editing the related config files, but it still doesn't
    >> work.
    >>
    >> What do I do now?
    >First, check your connections. I once wasted the better part of a day
    >because the line from my home router to the cable modem (both in the
    >basement) was disconnected.
    done.

    >Second, I think what you need is dhcp-client not dhcp server unless you
    >connect directly to the internet through your box, and I don't think you
    >do.
    OK, duh, you're right. I uninstalled the dhcp server and undid the
    related changes.

    >Third, after installing dhcp client, see if there is an entry for eth0,
    >your ethernet port, in the file /etc/network/interfaces. It should say
    >"iface eth0 inet dhcp". If that entry doesn't exist, add it.
    done.

    >Fourth, run ifconfig in a console, in order to see if you got a dhcp
    >lease. I think the next step will depend on the details of your setup, so
    >this is a good place to stop, for now.
    What exactly would it say to indicate that I have a dhcp lease?

    >Hope this helps
    >Al

    Walter Hudson Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:59:26 -0500, Al Krieger wrote:
    > First, check your connections. I once wasted the better part of a day
    > because the line from my home router to the cable modem (both in the
    > basement) was disconnected.
    I once wasted some hours because a Cat 5 patch cable supplied with my
    new ADSL modem had an open wire. Who suspects that a new, factory-terminated
    cable is bad? South Central Bell's tech support sure didn't, when they
    asked if the modem was connected directly to the computer with their
    cable. What led to the solution was the memory of a remark made at a bull
    session when the first Space Shuttle launch was on hold for "computer
    problems": "Bet it's a cable-and-connector problem." Switching to a cable
    with connectors that I'd crimped myself fixed it.

    Stephen J. Rush Guest

  5. #5

    I decided to give up and try a different distro.

    Ubuntu was never able to use this computer's ethernet adaptor. During
    installation it detected the adaptor, but was unable to use dhcp to
    get an ip from the router. (My other computer had no problem at that
    stage.) I figure it is just an incompatability.

    Now I need help uninstalling Ubuntu so I can try SUSE, but that will
    be a new thread. Thanks to all who replied.

    On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:38:55 -0500, Walter Hudson <notnomail.net>
    wrote:
    >I just installed Ubuntu dual boot with XP on a Sharp laptop.
    >
    >For some reason Ubuntu will not connect to the internet through the
    >ethernet port. XP on the same computer connects fine, so I know it is
    >the Ubuntu install that is messed up. I also installed Ubuntu on a
    >different laptop recently and it works fine on the internet with no
    >tweaking needed.
    >
    >So how do I figure out what is wrong? There is a Network Connection
    >icon but is has little useful information. It says my connection name
    >is "lo" and the status mostly says idle but quickly changes to
    >sending/recieving and back every five seconds or so.
    >
    >I looked in the help file and followed the directions for adding a
    >DHCP server and editing the related config files, but it still doesn't
    >work.
    >
    >What do I do now?

    Walter Hudson Guest

  6. #6

    On 2006-02-21, Walter Hudson <notnomail.net> wrote:
    > I decided to give up and try a different distro.
    >
    > Ubuntu was never able to use this computer's ethernet adaptor. During
    > installation it detected the adaptor, but was unable to use dhcp to
    > get an ip from the router. (My other computer had no problem at that
    > stage.) I figure it is just an incompatability.
    >
    > Now I need help uninstalling Ubuntu so I can try SUSE, but that will
    > be a new thread. Thanks to all who replied.
    FWIW, I've never been able to get fixed IP to work on this Kubuntu box -
    DHCP is fine, but if I choose an IP then I lose my internet connection.
    Most odd.

    --
    -Toby, who...
    field to cirvent my email filters.

  7. #7

    On 2006-02-21, Walter Hudson <notnomail.net> wrote:
    > I just installed Ubuntu dual boot with XP on a Sharp laptop.
    >
    > For some reason Ubuntu will not connect to the internet through the
    > ethernet port. XP on the same computer connects fine, so I know it is
    > the Ubuntu install that is messed up. I also installed Ubuntu on a
    > different laptop recently and it works fine on the internet with no
    > tweaking needed.
    >
    > So how do I figure out what is wrong? There is a Network Connection
    > icon but is has little useful information. It says my connection name
    > is "lo" and the status mostly says idle but quickly changes to
    > sending/recieving and back every five seconds or so.
    >
    > I looked in the help file and followed the directions for adding a
    > DHCP server and editing the related config files, but it still doesn't
    > work.
    >
    > What do I do now?
    "lo" is your loopback interface. It will have the IP address 127.0.0.1 and
    will almost always show traffic.

    In the Network Connection box, click on configure, see if there is an
    option for an Ethernet interface there. If not, Ubuntu isn't recognizing
    your Ethernet adpater. Would help to know what kind it is.

    Also, at the command line, type "ifconfig -a" and post the output here.

    Also useful would be the output from "cat /etc/network/interfaces"

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest

  8. #8

    On 2006-02-21, Walter Mitty <mitticus> wrote:
    > "Toby" risked the wrath of Usenet weenies mastering
    > mommies computer when he ventured forth on 2006-02-21, commmitted
    > his life to the whims of Google, and spluttered:
    >
    >> On 2006-02-21, Walter Hudson <notnomail.net> wrote:
    >>> I decided to give up and try a different distro.
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu was never able to use this computer's ethernet adaptor. During
    >>> installation it detected the adaptor, but was unable to use dhcp to
    >>> get an ip from the router. (My other computer had no problem at that
    >>> stage.) I figure it is just an incompatability.
    >>>
    >>> Now I need help uninstalling Ubuntu so I can try SUSE, but that will
    >>> be a new thread. Thanks to all who replied.
    >>
    >> FWIW, I've never been able to get fixed IP to work on this Kubuntu box -
    >> DHCP is fine, but if I choose an IP then I lose my internet connection.
    >> Most odd.
    >>

    > Just FYI, I moved to fixed IP only yesetrday. Worked fine.
    >
    > Do you have a router? Are you sure the IP you selected was available?
    Yes, I have a router, and I'm sure the IP was available. It's a tricky
    one to troubleshoot because there is no internet connetion available!
    Catch 22, eh? :)

  9. #9

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:25:32 -0600, Seth H Holmes
    <sholmesnottellingyouthiseither.com> wrote:
    >On 2006-02-21, Walter Hudson <notnomail.net> wrote:
    >> I just installed Ubuntu dual boot with XP on a Sharp laptop.
    >>
    >> For some reason Ubuntu will not connect to the internet through the
    >> ethernet port. XP on the same computer connects fine, so I know it is
    >> the Ubuntu install that is messed up. I also installed Ubuntu on a
    >> different laptop recently and it works fine on the internet with no
    >> tweaking needed.
    >>
    >> So how do I figure out what is wrong? There is a Network Connection
    >> icon but is has little useful information. It says my connection name
    >> is "lo" and the status mostly says idle but quickly changes to
    >> sending/recieving and back every five seconds or so.
    >>
    >> I looked in the help file and followed the directions for adding a
    >> DHCP server and editing the related config files, but it still doesn't
    >> work.
    >>
    >> What do I do now?
    >
    >"lo" is your loopback interface. It will have the IP address 127.0.0.1 and
    >will almost always show traffic.
    >
    >In the Network Connection box, click on configure, see if there is an
    >option for an Ethernet interface there. If not, Ubuntu isn't recognizing
    >your Ethernet adpater. Would help to know what kind it is.
    >
    >Also, at the command line, type "ifconfig -a" and post the output here.
    >
    >Also useful would be the output from "cat /etc/network/interfaces"

    It works!

    Following your suggestions I opened the network settings dialogue box,
    which I guess somehow I didn't see before, because right there it said
    that the ethernet interface was not active. And right next to it was
    a big "activate" button. So I clicked the button, and 30 seconds
    later I was on the internet.

    What I don't understand is this: I loaded the OS from the same
    install disc (5.10) on a different computer last week, and as soon as
    I got on the internet and checked for updates I got a whole lot of
    updates, including the kernel, or at least part of it. This time it
    said I am completely up to date.

    Thank you for your help.
    Walter Hudson Guest

  10. #10

    On 2006-02-21, Toby Newman <googleasktoby.com> wrote:
    >>> FWIW, I've never been able to get fixed IP to work on this Kubuntu box -
    >>> DHCP is fine, but if I choose an IP then I lose my internet connection.
    >>> Most odd.
    >>>

    >> Just FYI, I moved to fixed IP only yesetrday. Worked fine.
    >>
    >> Do you have a router? Are you sure the IP you selected was available?
    >
    > Yes, I have a router, and I'm sure the IP was available. It's a tricky
    > one to troubleshoot because there is no internet connetion available!
    > Catch 22, eh? :)
    Did you set your default route and netmask? Make sure the netmask is
    correct for you network or it won't work.

    Can you post output from "ifconfig eth0" and "route -n"

    Also, "cat /etc/network/interfaces"

    Do both for DHCP and Static.

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest

  11. #11

    On 2006-02-21, Walter Hudson <notnomail.net> wrote:
    > It works!
    >
    > Following your suggestions I opened the network settings dialogue box,
    > which I guess somehow I didn't see before, because right there it said
    > that the ethernet interface was not active. And right next to it was
    > a big "activate" button. So I clicked the button, and 30 seconds
    > later I was on the internet.
    >
    > What I don't understand is this: I loaded the OS from the same
    > install disc (5.10) on a different computer last week, and as soon as
    > I got on the internet and checked for updates I got a whole lot of
    > updates, including the kernel, or at least part of it. This time it
    > said I am completely up to date.
    >
    > Thank you for your help.
    Happy to help. :)

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest

  12. #12

    On 2006-02-22, Seth H Holmes <sholmesnottellingyouthiseither.com> wrote:

    >>> Just FYI, I moved to fixed IP only yesetrday. Worked fine.
    >>>
    >>> Do you have a router? Are you sure the IP you selected was available?
    >>
    >> Yes, I have a router, and I'm sure the IP was available. It's a tricky
    >> one to troubleshoot because there is no internet connetion available!
    >> Catch 22, eh? :)
    >
    > Did you set your default route and netmask? Make sure the netmask is
    > correct for you network or it won't work.
    >
    > Can you post output from "ifconfig eth0" and "route -n"
    >
    > Also, "cat /etc/network/interfaces"
    >
    > Do both for DHCP and Static.
    Sorry for horrendous delay!

    Only just found the time to sit down with this.

    Those two commands were very
    helpful. I think that perhaps last time I was mistyping my gateway or
    getting my netmask wrong or something. By copying the values directly
    from the output of those commands into KDE's network settings I now have
    static IP working.